GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 02 Goldwing 1800. The Metler (130/70/18) front tire has about 7200 miles on it and the rear car tire Michelin Primacy Alpin (195/55 R16) has the same mileage.
I am running Dyno beads in both tires. I run 41 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear.

Lately I have noticed the wobble in the front handle bars at 40-50 MPH only. It wasn't there initially but from what I remember just started showing up lately.

Does anyone know if the darkside rear tire could be causing the front wheel wobble or causing the cupping front tire?

IF not I will check steering head nut torque and consider replacing the front tire. My front rim is not out of round or bent in any way.

Thanks a ton
Lee

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Either the rear tire or the front tire can cause front end wobble. A bump in the road can tear the inner belts of a tire. The tear is often not visible. Damage to the inner belts of a tire can cause wobble. The only way to determine if a damaged tire is the source of the wobble is to replace the tire.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
My experience and what I have read here, more than once, a CT on the rear eliminates or reduces wobble. That would only be true if there is no problem with the tire, it could have a broken belt or some other problem though.

Reactions: lyle doverspike

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
First, check the ftlbs on the steering head bearings. If it is within tolerance, then check front and rear tires one at a time.

Reactions: lyle doverspike

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
If rf on rear most dont run that much pressure 30/34 if 2 up less if solo i run 26/27 my 14 had real bad wobble with e4 on front and same with 704 redid my front end = bearings - seals - springs and all good now have bt45 now

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Change out steering head bearings with “All Balls” brand roller bearings....

:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
How many miles on this bike?

Oh, yeah, that rear tire pressure is waaaaay too high IF ITS A RUNFLAT!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts