GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Fellow Darksiders,

Just completed the 4 day Advanced Riders Instructor's Course this past weekend that was put on by the GWRRA and conducted in Rome, Ga. The subject was brought up about car tires on motorcycles and I wanted fellow Darksider's feedback. Liability on the part that your insurance company may not cover you if you have an accident and they realize you're running a car tire and the other objection brought up was in reference to the bead of the tire seating differently that a motorcycle tire. Research and development and such.

I've had mine on since May of last year (14 months) and have put 20,000 miles on thus far. I'll most likely try a Bridgestone next year as I have a riding buddy who is a Darksider as well and I like the way his tire seats on the wheel. Looking for comments and input. I know that there are a lot of us out there and last Sunday, we had 2 guys show up for the course who were Darksiders.

Nobody brought it up during the class but one thing that was on my mind was the possibility that the motorcycle industry objecting because by running car tires, we're cutting into their revenue. If you're ridiing like some of us, you're basically changing tires every year. What do you all think?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The grand ole GWRRA and the Darkside. :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::evil::evil:

Next time just take a whole gallon of ice cream with you, do not give them little bars, give them the whole thing .

Then they will say it is cool.
The GWRRA knows three things about tires:

They are round.
They are black
They require air, but only when installed.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Here we go with all the GWRRA B.S. Again Who really gives a damn what they think or say I for sure don't. I have my own mind I don't need someone telling me what to bolt on my bike and how to ride it :nojoke:

·
Banned
939 Posts

Just completed the 4 day Advanced Riders Instructor's Course this past weekend that was put on by the GWRRA.......

Nobody brought it up during the class but one thing that was on my mind was the possibility that the motorcycle industry objecting because by running car tires, we're cutting into their revenue. If you're ridiing like some of us, you're basically changing tires every year. What do you all think?
For the life of me this, insurance boogie man, this that or the other stuff, tire companies and Honda/other manufactures in the grand conspiracy theory for revenue protection. Etc..et all, with Darkside seriously cracks me up! BTW you Darksiders need to start up your own Wikepieda page on this before GWRRA beats you to it with propaganda.

You can bet if you run over three kids helping grandma across HWY66 at 4 a.m. and you happen run over one of them you and your insurance company are going to get sued and if you happen to be running a CT which actually might have better breaking characteristics in that situation are going to make the CT part of the case against you regardless.

I can’t wait for it to happen though because I got a sneaky “suspension” suspicion all the rhetoric and fear will melt away under trial scrutiny.

I predict here (and hopefully it will be a property only case) that in no uncertain terms it will be proven under microscopic certainty that in some situations a MT might be more adventurous to have on and sometimes a CT might be more advantageous to have on but as to this date there has not been a tire perfectly designed for the Wing.

Once they get that figured out they can design one for a Wing pulling a trailer!

May I point out the obvious this is not conspiracy! However, it is all about the money. No way in hell tire companies are going to retool simply to design a tire for the Wing market (if it ever happens I am thinking it will be more like a CT than a MT) but I am no engineer considering how most folks ride but again I am no engineer and obviously some on the Darkside could ride on a solid tire and run circles around most of us.

Seriously, ride your own ride. If you are needing permission read your manual or for heavens sake bow down at the altar of GWRRA. Heavens forbid they chase you outlaws from the flock!

For the record I do not ride on the Darkside but by God I had no idea this was such a sensitive issue until joining this forum a month ago.

Make a choice there is not as perfect tire for your Wing. Frankly there is perhaps more of a safety argument for the CT and I am “absolutely certain” GWRRA would never want to be on the wrong side of “safety” would they? You think they are going to trust you outlaws to show them the light without a fight?

I hate to say it but this subject has become the civil rights movement of Wing riding amongst some and unfortunately it seems to me the MT only crew is Jim Crow incarnate in the bike world. I am thinking of going Darkside to every rally I attend just for solidarity.

I say you all need to find some solidarity under the Mr. Fish Death Star and start showing up and doing “wild and crazy” things at these events that are over the top with comedy to educate.

and we must protect the children from these dangerous thoughts....
This BTW should be an event at all rallies think. The MT vs. the CT children’s roll off race.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

I've had mine on since May of last year (14 months) and have put 20,000 miles on thus far.
Nobody brought it up during the class but one thing that was on my mind was the possibility that the motorcycle industry objecting because by running car tires, we're cutting into their revenue.
I personally believe you answered your own question!:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
The grand ole GWRRA and the Darkside. :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::evil::evil:

Next time just take a whole gallon of ice cream with you, do not give them little bars, give them the whole thing .

They are round.
They are black
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Hey Kit! You forgot, they will get you to the nearest Dairy Queen!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hey Kit! You forgot, they will get you to the nearest Dairy Queen!:lol::lol::lol:
Yep they will, I stopped at the local DQ the other day. Hear a lot about it, the ice cream did not impress me. There is a little place in Santee that makes home made ice cream and pie......now that is worth a ride.

Just say things like this to stir them up. Lol!!

For the life of me I cannot comprehend the resistance to a better tire and better safety for the average rider on tour.

Sure could save a life or two, but we are winning slowly.

Before you guys all came along, we used to have some real wars. I mean wars, anyone who ran a CT was tarred and feathered and shot at dawn.

I just mess around now mostly, I let you guys fight the fight for the most part.

I just grin at them now.

They do not need a good tire anyway, they never exceed 49 miles at a time and never exceed 55 mph. A wheel barrow tire would suffice. :joke:

I am glad they did a training course, that is cool. But if you ever ride with a typical GWRRA group, a tire is the least of the worries. They yap about can you keep up, how does it corner. Well ya know if you would speed up and get the hell out of the way I would show you. lol!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
They do not need a good tire anyway, they never exceed 49 miles at a time and never exceed 55 mph. A wheel barrow tire would suffice. :joke:
:22yikes:Don't be giving me any ideas Kit! You know I'm the guy that uses post-hole diggers to change my C/T!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Thousands of Darksiders, tens of millions of miles ridden... but the naysayers know best?

I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
gwrra and car tires

The pres of my local chapter ( T ) in Johnstown, PA gave me the hairy eyeball when I showed up for a chapter ride with my car tire. Before he left for Wing Ding in Iowa last yr, he called and asked questions about car tires, tried my spare wheel for a week, and put on a Kuhmo for his trip. He loves his Kuhmo!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

They are round.
They are black

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:thumbup::agree:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I like the Rocketman's comment best and a few others. I want to be able to rationally present my decision to keep the CT in any class that I give as I know it will come up. Now I've got to start gathering information on a front tire so I can go double Darkside. What's up with putting the front tire on against the direction of the arrow? I've heard riders comment on it pushing the water away easier. Thanks for the comments gentlemen.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When has an insurance company looked at the tires after a car accident? Do they look to see if the car has legal tread? Or legal tires- suck as racing or non-street legal?

If the PD or HP isn't called in, nobody gives a crap about the tires.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Revenue?

It surely is NOT about revenue. There are, at best, a few thousand darksiders, as opposed to a few HUNDRED THOUSAND cars with four tires on each one of them.

While those of us who ride it believe it's the greatest thing since sliced bread,there is too much importance placed on the Honda Gold Wing. It's a small percentage of the bikes Honda produces, and a small percentage of the tire market.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think my Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 V RF @ 32 lbs. and a Bridgestone 709 @ 32 lbs.with Dyna-Beads is just a safe ticket for me! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
...They do not need a good tire anyway, they never exceed 49 miles at a time and never exceed 55 mph. A wheel barrow tire would suffice. :joke:

I am glad they did a training course, that is cool. But if you ever ride with a typical GWRRA group, a tire is the least of the worries. They yap about can you keep up, how does it corner. Well ya know if you would speed up and get the hell out of the way I would show you. lol!
> Thank you Kit, again, for making my day... I get a chuckle out of your daily posts!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Darkside Dilemma, No More

Just a follow-up on my initial request for information above. I've decided to keep my CT and stay on the Darkside, thank you very much. As a matter of fact, as soon as the front tire wears down, I'm going double-Darksider. I appreciate all of you guys input, not only was it informative but humorous as well. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have yet to find a tire marked with the words...FOR CAR USE ONLY....If someone finds one let me know... that would be the one I wouldn't buy...

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Oh" for Pete's sake could we get over this stupid Bu!!
$H!T already. The insurance companies do not give a
$h!t what you do with your motorcycle they will pay out
your claims no matter what" Geeezzzuuzzzkeyrust"
already' :roll:

Honda states you (MUST NOT) tow a trailer or (TRIKE)
your Wing.

When I totalled our Wing pulling our camper no one give
a $h!t if we were pulling a trailer or not. Everything was
taken care of no questions asked. Every trike I've ever
fixed after a crash the insurance paid for,every
motorcycle I've repaired that wrecked pulling a trailer
the insurance always paid for.... If the insurance
companies wanted to bail on crash claims they would
bail on trailer pullers and trikes...already" :roll:

I've seen motorcycles brought into my shop with cords
hanging out of the rear tire that blew out and caused
the wreck. The insurance companies never not paid