GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to everyone for all your help.
I finally got the bike back today after switching the TPMS monitors and having the BT45 and Yokohama Avid ENvigor mounted.
Future tire changes should be much easier since I won't need both tires off at the same time in order to switch the sensors.

So, I thought I'd post some observations.

1) The front rides much smoother. This is my 5th wing and I was shocked at how much harsher the front suspension is on this bike. I didn't like it at all. It got a bit better after putting on the centrimatics, but after putting on the BT45 it is much better. There is a road near us with lots of twisties around a lake that I generally refuse to ride because the pavement is so course that the handlebars vibrate so much and the ride is so rough--that I feel nauseated after the 8 mile loop. Today it was very noticeably improved.

2. The horrible front end wobble is gone. But that was probably going to be true for any new tire until it started cupping. This shouldn't cup for a LONG time so if I happen to want to ride hands free for a few seconds--the bike won't shake apart and crash like it was really wanting to do before.

3. The low speed vibration that some people talk about with this tire (BT45) between 30 and 40 was actually very minimal. It was more like a faint massage for your hands.

4. The run flat in the back was great. It was a much smoother ride and it handled well. I felt nothing along the lines of the tire handling strangely at low speeds when on uneven surfaces. I tried all sorts of parking lot scenarios and nothing felt strange.
It doesn't fall into a turn like a brand new mc tire will, but when it is all said and done...it does go where you tell it to.

5. I feel a lot better having a run flat on the back. As a physician the worst motorcycle accident I have ever treated came from a back tire that failed. I feel pretty confident now that i won't go out that way--so thanks for all your helpful posts.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
welcome to double ds :congrats: get your # n sticker. it just gets better :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside and if ever through Wi. Look me up for your share of Darkside cookies :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,379 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: Welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts