GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody with more time than I have do the math or take the measurements.

Here's what I'm thinking .... Since the shoulder of the wonky tire is further from the center line of the bike than the rounded profile of a motorcycle tire, it should make a difference in how much lean angle it takes to touch the peg or any other parts to the ground.

Or am I just wishing it didn't snow last night and I could go ride?

What say the knowledgeable?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
When the snow melts, take it to a local parking lot and run circles dragging the pegs. You'll know when you have too much "angle". IMO, you don't want to be dragging "hard parts".Your ride, you decide.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Darkside leaning

Somebody with more time than I have do the math or take the measurements.

Here's what I'm thinking .... Since the shoulder of the wonky tire is further from the center line of the bike than the rounded profile of a motorcycle tire, it should make a difference in how much lean angle it takes to touch the peg or any other parts to the ground.

Or am I just wishing it didn't snow last night and I could go ride?

What say the knowledgeable?
I would have to do lots more work to know for sure, but my gut feeling is a darkside tire will not yield any significant increase in cornering clearance since the "edge" of the tire is depressed as the weight is transferred off of the center of the tire and onto the "edge."

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the snow melts, take it to a local parking lot and run circles dragging the pegs. You'll know when you have too much "angle". IMO, you don't want to be dragging "hard parts".Your ride, you decide.
But if I did that what would we have to discuss?

·
IronMan
17,102 Posts
ITS A "WONKY" TIRE SO YOU'LL CRASH N BURN SO "REALLY " WONT MATTER ! :surprise::wink2::laugh: THINK IF YA RUN THE 60 SERIES IT WILL RAISE UP A LITTLE . BUT DONT THINK ITS RF

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've noticed that the tire car will give you a little more clearance when leaned over and like Murgie said; the bike
doesn't slow down as much with a car tire when leaned over.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,483 Posts
This question reminds me of the difference I've noticed between the 2 CT I like to run. They are both listed below in my signature.

I used up several P1 tires, but I've used more of the SnowControl which has turned into my favorite. I would have to say the P1 probably handles slightly better. But the difference for me was hitting my pegs in the corners. It seemed that with the P1, I was using the pegs on the pavement a LOT more than I did with the SnowControl? While the difference has to be very slight, it was enough that I noticed?

I probably need to get a couple P1 in my inventory and do some more testing. I suppose it could be the result of increased speed in the corners? Really don't know, but thought I would share my experience.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I personally think you are correct in your assumption. That is the reason that I run the 205 instead of the 195.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This question reminds me of the difference I've noticed between the 2 CT I like to run. They are both listed below in my signature.

I used up several P1 tires, but I've used more of the SnowControl which has turned into my favorite. I would have to say the P1 probably handles slightly better. But the difference for me was hitting my pegs in the corners. It seemed that with the P1, I was using the pegs on the pavement a LOT more than I did with the SnowControl? While the difference has to be very slight, it was enough that I noticed?

I probably need to get a couple P1 in my inventory and do some more testing. I suppose it could be the result of increased speed in the corners? Really don't know, but thought I would share my experience.

Monk when you're talking snow control tire are you talking P1 snow control tire.Or are you talking a totally different tire.
Reason asking I am looking at getting a different CT:smile2:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,483 Posts
Monk when you're talking snow control tire are you talking P1 snow control tire.Or are you talking a totally different tire.
Reason asking I am looking at getting a different CT:smile2:

There are two different tires listed in my signature. Both are made by Pirelli and both are runflats. One is the SnowControl and the other is the P1.

They are the best handling runflats I've found so far that work very well here in the Ozarks. And I would have to say the P1 will be slightly better in the handling department and the SnowControl will probably last slightly longer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There are two different tires listed in my signature. Both are made by Pirelli and both are runflats. One is the SnowControl and the other is the P1.

They are the best handling runflats I've found so far that work very well here in the Ozarks. And I would have to say the P1 will be slightly better in the handling department and the SnowControl will probably last slightly longer.
Thanks for info Monk,,I am going with the P1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts