GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that not everyone here is a Darkside rider....that's okay by me. I live in the Surprise, AZ area and trying to locate a shop that mounts car tires on Goldwing wheels. Doesn't have to be a local shop either...... Have Tire, Will Travel.
Know of a shop that is trustworthy? Let me know. Thanks,
Steve F

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I posted some info for you on your question on the Darkside forum. Good luck

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My last one was done at Fletchers at Deer Valley and 83rd. No problems at all. From now on I’ll even buy the tire from them.
Hhmmmm...Fletcher's you say? We have a Fletcher's in Payson and I'll have to check them out when/if my rear tire ever decides to wear out! My last Darkside install was in a Mom-n-Pop store in Gallatin, MO. They were well versed on the Darksider Evolution.

I have somewhere near 15,000 miles on my tire and it still looks pristine. Granted, most of those miles were in the upper midwest where the only twisty roads are turning from one street onto another.

Thanks for the heads up!

- David

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just did a quick search for Fletchers tire stores and found out that in 2017, they were bought by Bridgestone. It sounded like all of the stores were bought and Fletcher owns nothing tire related. I hope their customer care hasn't gone with the ownership. Read this: https://www.moderntiredealer.com/ne...uto-stores-are-now-bridgestone-company-stores
EDIT: There's a Fletchers less that 6.0 mile from my house! EDIT again, The store in Surprise is a FLAME-ROCK STORE not Fletcher's OR Bridgestone. I'll do more checking.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
i didn’t realize they were bought out. I just know it by location but I only went there a couple of times over the years. I always take my cars to Discount. I tried Fletcher’s...uh...Bridgestone because they never seem that busy and they’re close. I walked in with the rim in one hand and tire in the other. Guy just took them from me with no questions. At first he didn’t think it would mount. I assured him it would, and 10 minutes later he’s loading it in my truck. Never asked what it was for. When I asked how much he said “oh, I don’t know..10 bucks?” I gave him $20 and told him from now on I buy my DriveGuards from him.

A week later I took my trailer to him to have the tires balanced before trailering the Wing up to Idaho. I mentioned the tire mount he did and told him it was for a Goldwing. His response was “Glad we could help you out!”

I’m not saying all the shops will do this, and I don’t know for sure what everyone else’s experience will be, but hopefully, I found my permanent CT mounting location.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn’t realize they were bought out. I just know it by location but I only went there a couple of times over the years. I always take my cars to Discount. I tried Fletcher’s...uh...Bridgestone because they never seem that busy and they’re close. I walked in with the rim in one hand and tire in the other. Guy just took them from me with no questions. At first he didn’t think it would mount. I assured him it would, and 10 minutes later he’s loading it in my truck. Never asked what it was for. When I asked how much he said “oh, I don’t know..10 bucks?” I gave him $20 and told him from now on I buy my DriveGuards from him.

A week later I took my trailer to him to have the tires balanced before trailering the Wing up to Idaho. I mentioned the tire mount he did and told him it was for a Goldwing. His response was “Glad we could help you out!”

I’m not saying all the shops will do this, and I don’t know for sure what everyone else’s experience will be, but hopefully, I found my permanent CT mounting location.
I just did a Google Earth streetview of the area, and if this store is just east of 83rd on Deer Valley, it's now a Firestone store too. Oh well.....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I just did a Google Earth streetview of the area, and if this store is just east of 83rd on Deer Valley, it's now a Firestone store too. Oh well.....
That’s it. I’ll still call it Fletcher’s since the area is called Fletcher Heights...?

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discount Tire will do it - I have been in two different ones here in Baja Arizona; nada problemas!
We have a grandson who just started working at Discount Tire in Gilbert. Asked him over lunch if he's ever seen any of the techs changing a motorcycle tire, which he was unsure if his shop changes m/c tires or not. But he will check it out for me.

On an aside, where we used to live in Gallatin MO, there is a mom-n-pop shop which installs car tires on the Goldwing wheel. I ordered the tire from them, rode the bike to the shop then walked home. They had it done in no time.

If you want, we could ride east to Gallatin, which is an hour north from Kansas City.

While waiting, we could have a killer BBQ lunch/dinner in Cameron at Tub Creek BBQ. Or walk across the street from the shop at a dynamic cafe...

But if we went today, make sure you have a tire chain for your worn out tire, as they just picked up 2" of snow.

- David

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
We have a grandson who just started working at Discount Tire in Gilbert. Asked him over lunch if he's ever seen any of the techs changing a motorcycle tire, which he was unsure if his shop changes m/c tires or not. But he will check it out for me.

On an aside, where we used to live in Gallatin MO, there is a mom-n-pop shop which installs car tires on the Goldwing wheel. I ordered the tire from them, rode the bike to the shop then walked home. They had it done in no time.

If you want, we could ride east to Gallatin, which is an hour north from Kansas City.

While waiting, we could have a killer BBQ lunch/dinner in Cameron at Tub Creek BBQ. Or walk across the street from the shop at a dynamic cafe...

But if we went today, make sure you have a tire chain for your worn out tire, as they just picked up 2" of snow.

- David
Sounds like a great excuse for a ride. I will gauge my tread accordingly. :wink2:

Reactions: david vaughn

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, David your offer is intriguing but ummm, no thanks. 'specially this time of year with the snow threat. I ended up going to Discount Tire here on Bell Rd. in Surprise, and they mounted the new tire up with the Dyna Beads, no problem. They knew it was for a motorcycle and they didn't care. Guys there were awesome, and they were no stranger to mounting Darkside tires. Even the beads.... they recommended them, and the guy that helped me says he uses the beads in HIS bikes and JEEP. Anyway, got the PIRELLI P1 on the bike now and took it for a ride that night. Feels good, and it seems to turn in a bit faster when changing lanes, was easier. The ALPIN I took off was down well into the wear bars and was getting feathered on the corners a bit, but didn't make any noise. We'll see how this tire compares.
Cheers,
Steve F

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
The last time I was in Discount...told them I had not only a tire to change, but a second tire I'd be willing to pay the fee for disposal.

$20 for the tire change (it gets rung up as a flat repair...) and the disposal fee for two tires!

Now - trivia - if you go into a Discount with a flat tire, they will repair if possible at no cost. Why? Good will.

Doubt that works for motorcycle tires, but a point of reference the next time you can't get to your normal place that does this. Heard about this not long ago on the radio.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a word of advice too.... Stay away from NTB if you can.... not sure they're out her in the AZ area, but they like to charge you for EVERYTHING! Even if you have their supposed "road hazard warranty", it'll cost you one way or another. My take on what NTB stands for......Not Too Busy. They're NEVER EVER going to get any of my business again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts