GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Moved this to this sub-forum.

It's time for a new rear tire and I'm considering going to a CT on the rear. Having said that, I know I can search through the forum and find plenty of advice on what tires people are using etc... I'll do that on my own. I also know that I can get all sorts of advice saying "do it" and "don't do it." Honestly I'd like to leave all that to all the other umpteen threads out there about it.

What I do have a question about is if anyone that has had one mounted in Houston can tell me the name/location of a shop that will mount/balance the tire without a lot of BS. If its going to be a rodeo I may decide to just stick with the MC tires for now. I'm in the Humble area but have no problems going across town for decent service. So if anyone can help me out with some information I'd appreciate it.

PS. Oh yeah. I also know I could save myself the money and buy a tire changer and do it myself. Not against that idea, just no good space available in this house to set one up properly. So until i get a place with a better "shop" to work in, a tire changer has to stay on the list of some-day tools.

-Thanks in advance for whatever help you guys can offer.

·
Premium Member
31,967 Posts
Hopefully fellow darksiders in your area will swoop in to help locate shop to mount tire . If not and your willing I can walk ya through process of doing it yourself . :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Do you have a Sams Club down there? Order from them, take the wheel off and take it in, tell them it is a trailer wheel. You will be done in 10 inutes. Put the beads in it to balance.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Do you have a Sams Club down there? Order from them, take the wheel off and take it in, tell them it is a trailer wheel. You will be done in 10 inutes. Put the beads in it to balance.
This is a good idea from Duckster. I would just like to add you should tell them it is the left wheel so they will get the rotation right.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question while I'm doing my homework...

Why a run flat tire? Is there a reason beyond the obvious not going flat that makes a RF tire better than a non-RF tire for this application?

·
Premium Member
31,967 Posts
Another question while I'm doing my homework...

Why a run flat tire? Is there a reason beyond the obvious not going flat that makes a RF tire better than a non-RF tire for this application?
A good number of us do not prefer a runflat . But there is a danger of having an instant air loss situation that does require a way more effort to maintain the bike after this could happen . The up side of a NRF is lighter tire acting more like a bike tire in my mind . Wanna chat about both tires and darksiding in general ? Pm sent with my phone number

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
A good number of us do not prefer a runflat . But there is a danger of having an instant air loss situation that does require a way more effort to maintain the bike after this could happen . The up side of a NRF is lighter tire acting more like a bike tire in my mind . Wanna chat about both tires and darksiding in general ? Pm sent with my phone number
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
The reason for a rf is that you won't be caught out in the middle of the dessert at 10 pm and have to walk 20 miles in the dark or sleep on the side of the road. That is why I have one.
Good answer, I like it!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well one more person crosses over to the darkside. It's a Kumho Ecsta. I would say I picked it because of its reputation etc... but mostly I picked it because Dymo had one on a rim ready to roll so it made it too easy to pass up.

So thanks Dymo, nice doing business with you. And thanks to all in the forums who have provided info and help on here that helped me decide to go this route.

Having never changed the back tire on a 'wing before I have to say that it wasn't that bad. I did go the long route though and put it on the center stand and pull the back plastic off. Only snag I ran into was the PO or the shop he took it to had a 500lb gorilla tighten the lugs. I literally twisted a 3/8" extension in half trying to break one of them loose. Finally broke out the 1/2" drive and got it to come loose though.

Little tip I ran across too; if you don't happen to have a 19mm 1/2" drive socket, it's close enough to a 3/4" drive socket, that you can use one of them. Which also means a lot of older GM tire irons will fit too, if you need something with a little more leverage some day.

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Auto part

(And yeah, my bikes dirty but that's because I commute daily with it. But it does get baths every now and then. Really it does.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts