GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating the Darkside and wondered if there is a decrease of mpg vs a standard MT, all things remaining constant regarding my riding habits with how I ride currently?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm contemplating the Darkside and wondered if there is a decrease of mpg vs a standard MT, all things remaining constant regarding my riding habits with how I ride currently?
As long as the tire is the same circumference there should be absolutely no change. In my case, the car tire was larger causing the speedo to be a bit off and (not confirmed yet) better mileage (at a cost of torque).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mpg

Mine went down, but my riding style changed, as I suspect yours will after you see how much safer you feel. It inspired confidence in the bike that I didn't have with the Dunlop. My pace is quite a bit faster now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My gas mileage has remained nearly the same after switching to a CT nearly two years ago. I have kept a record of every drop of fuel ever put in my Wing since I purchased it in 2006. For example my average MPG for CY 2009 (Pre CT) was 40.33, CY 2010 was 39.66 and my average MPG for CY 2011 was 39.46. Pretty much the same MPG and the variance is more than likely a result of where I rode and riding conditions. 2009 included several long distance rides in the southwest and midwest (pretty much flat lands) while 2010 took me to the Black Mts in S. Dakoda, Colorado Rockies and northern New Mexico. 2011 was a trip up to Canada and touring through the Canadial Rockies, Washington, Oregon, Northern Cali, Utah, Whyoming, Idaho and Nevada. Most of my riding long distance riding is 2-up and pulling a Turtle Hull trailer.

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
My test so far. Keep in mind these were at different times and different roads but over all the same. I write it down at each fillup
MT 37 mpg
MT 37
MT 40
MT 36
MT 40
CT 36
CT 37
CT 36
CT 39
CT 38
CT 37

·
Registered
862 Posts
My test so far. Keep in mind these were at different times and different roads but over all the same. I write it down at each fillup
MT 37 mpg
MT 37
MT 40
MT 36
MT 40
CT 36
CT 37
CT 36
CT 39
CT 38
CT 37
rideing style the same too? your avg's look like mine...i get more 36's than 40's.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
4,009 Posts

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
I could not agree more with everyone who says that you will find yourself riding more aggressively with the CT vs. the MT.

I am grinding more hard parts than I ever did with a MT because the car tire sticks to the road far better with no slip at all.

As far as gas mileage goes, are you kidding me???

Just put more in and ride it like you stole it!!!

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the helpful comments.

I have a couple more questions:

Regarding which tire to go with, it seems as though the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP is getting some very strong recommendations right now. I think I saw that it's a winter tire. Is that correct and if so would that be the best tire to run during non-winter riding?

I'm having a hard time finding it in stock anywhere, but I can find the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3. Is that a good alternate choice? Is there a better one?

Is a runflat/ZP tire the way to go?

Are there any issues mounting the wider CT tire on the stock wing rim?

·
Registered
628 Posts

Regarding which tire to go with, it seems as though the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP is getting some very strong recommendations right now. I think I saw that it's a winter tire. Is that correct and if so would that be the best tire to run during non-winter riding?

I'm having a hard time finding it in stock anywhere, but I can find the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3. Is that a good alternate choice? Is there a better one?

People are running the Michelin in all types of weather and I personally will be running it all seasons. The Primacy Alpin PA3 I have seen listed lately shows the GRN on it and that means it qualifies as a Green tire as it has the reduced rolling resistance feature to improve gas mileage.

I have not personally seen that model tire as anything but the ZP (run flat) but I would personally be sure it has the run flat feature as that is imoprtant to me. To others it is not important. Personal preference.

You are having problems finding it because so many here and other Draksiders are finding it a great tire and ordering them to Out of Stock status with many dealers. Most of them are curious as heck why they are selling so many single tires.

You should have no problems mounting the tire. It is a tight fit getting it past the lug nuts but a little wiggling and\or some soapy water will help. Many little tiricks have been devised but not really a big deal. A couple are laying the big girl on her sde to chage the tire, propping her a little higher by extending the center stand once she's over and being sure the tranny is in neautral.

Hope this helps. Others will probably chime in with ideas also.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
31,967 Posts
To answer your question nope not at all . I recorded milage in both RF's and NRF's in the beginning and found no change . Most do ride more aggressively with car tires on but if you ride the same as you do now after making the switch it's the same , or it was for me .

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
4,009 Posts

So far I have only run a 205/55 R16 on my stock wing rim. By the end of the week I will be installing my 7th 205.

A word of caution when considering a 205. Some are indeed too wide and will be very difficult to install and/or have rubbing issues. You would think all tires of a particular width would all be the same, but they are not.

While looking on tire rack and doing comparisons, I found some to have a tread width of 6.7" while others may be 7.5". Speaking for myself, I have the best luck with those listed with a width of 7." or less.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm running a Kumho Solus (non RF) 195/55R. After I installed it, I checked fuel mileage at each fill up as I always do. I saw no change, I get between 42 to 45 MPG, and have always factored in the 3% odometer error that I measured when I first got the bike. My previous 02 had nearly 5% odometer error. After I mounted the tire on the wheel, I measured it's circumference and found it was about 1 1/2" larger than the D250 it replaced, so I did another odometer error test.....both GPS and via mile markers.

The CT has reduced that error to 1.5%.

Bottom line, no definitive change in gas mileage between the CT and motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It will probably go down because you will find yourself riding more aggressively.
+1.
If I really cared about mileage, I wooda stayed on the K12, it got way better mileage. I ride the wing for the smiles per gallon!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
My fuel economy has not changed. I still notice the fluctuations from one tank to another as a result of changing circumstances.
And yes, I've enjoyed more confidence in the CT's traction and sometimes engage in more 'spirited' riding. But my overall MPGs are in the same narrow range: 37-38.

Dayum, I want to go riding and it's time for bed.
C'mon, sunrise!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm on my second CT and haven't seen any change in MPG that is not 100% attributable to my riding style at each fill-up.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

When I bought my bike it had a Kumho on it which rode nice & had excellent grip along with being a runflat. After reading everything here about the Michelin Alpin decided to try it and first impression after about 400+ mi is it does everything the Kumho did a little bit better. There are a few threads here about where to buy them, I bought mine from Simpletire.com & had it 2 days after ordering it. In my opinion, a runflat is the only way to go on this bike, especially riding 2 up. I know for a fact my Kumho got me home one time with 7 psi in it after picking up a nail, with a bike tire or NRF on it under the same circumstances I would have been stranded somewhere between work & home in the dark since I work 2d shift. There were no issues mounting the Michelin on the wing rim beyond the stiffness of the run flat sidewalls. One thing that concerned me was reading here about people having trouble getting someone to mount a CT on a bike rim but that turned out to be a non issue. Tire guy asked me what it was off & I told him a Wing & he never gave any problem mounting it, not sure if that would have been different if it would have had a bike tire instead of a Kumho on it but I suspect not. I will be riding the Alpin from teens, low 20's to 100* or however hot it gets here this summer rain or shine, about the only time I don't or won't ride is when there is snow or ice or possibility of them during the winter months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts