GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

Local guy to me is selling this wheel/CT setup for fifty bucks. Supposedly came off a 2008 with 30K miles but this was only used a year and was an extra wheel. I asked if it was true and no dents and he said yes. Assuming that it is, is that a decent price? Seems good but I am new to Wings and not sure what a used wheel would go for. TIA!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Sounds like a deal to me. The rear rim alone is worth that. I would research the tire tho. Date code and whether it’s a run flat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
$50.00 just for the rim, is approx 6 times worth it! not even adding in the price of the tire.......Wonderful deal!

Ronnie

Reactions: AGAUWING

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I asked a few more questions and learned it is a 6 year old tire and not a run-flat, Think I'll still pick it up to have the extra wheel and maybe mount another CT later.

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
I paid $75 for my spare rear wheel.

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
985 Posts
Buy it. You will be happy you did.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tire is a General G-Max AS-O3 195/55R 16 m+s standard load. Made in Romania. It's pretty old so I will likely have to swap it out before trying this whole DARKSIDE thing. LOL

·
Registered
985 Posts
The wheel alone is worth more than $50.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I paid $40 for a wheel a few weeks ago. The wheel had a light amount of corrosion and needed an afternoon of cleaning and polishing. My budget for a spare wheel was up to $75 depending on condition so I think you did well.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
$50 isn't a deal, it's a steal. Take it and throw a new Pirelli P1 RF on there and go crazy.

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Last spare wheel I bought cost me $35. It had an almost gone Car tire on it. I advertised on C/L in the Motorcycle section for a wheel wanted and got several replies. Lowest was $30 but the one I bought was closer. So $50 is not a bad price.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The tire is a General G-Max AS-O3 195/55R 16 m+s standard load. Made in Romania. It's pretty old so I will likely have to swap it out before trying this whole DARKSIDE thing. LOL
Jump on the guys over on the DS board for suggestions on a "motorcycle-like" CT. There are tires that behave fairly well... then there are tires like that G-Max (or my Riken for that matter) that will ruin you for the DS!
When I mounted my first one I spent the better part of a day thinkin' "oh Lord, what have I done" because that G-Max in 205 is real square. Then I started to "settle in" & realized I actually could lean. Next thing I knew there were sparks flyin' & I was still rollin' into the power!:grin2:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Asking which dark side tire is the best, is like asking, what oil is the best. You'll get dozens of different opinions. Everyone is different sized, rides different styles, some solo, some double, etc. All makes a difference. Plenty of advice out there, but you may need to test a few, to find your perfect match.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jump on the guys over on the DS board for suggestions on a "motorcycle-like" CT. There are tires that behave fairly well... then there are tires like that G-Max (or my Riken for that matter) that will ruin you for the DS!
When I mounted my first one I spent the better part of a day thinkin' "oh Lord, what have I done" because that G-Max in 205 is real square. Then I started to "settle in" & realized I actually could lean. Next thing I knew there were sparks flyin' & I was still rollin' into the power!:grin2:
So...thinking on what you wrote here. You saying that this General is not one of the 'good ones' to try for a DS noob? I am pretty lewery already about making the jump and so want the most MT like rubber I could find. It's gotta be safe and it's gotta let me lean the big girl over pretty deep in the curves. I'm not an interstate drone and do like the twisties. :laugh:

I did buy it and the tire looks to be in great shape so I'd be tempted to at least give it a whirl.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Thread move to right board .

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
So...thinking on what you wrote here. You saying that this General is not one of the 'good ones' to try for a DS noob? I am pretty lewery already about making the jump and so want the most MT like rubber I could find. It's gotta be safe and it's gotta let me lean the big girl over pretty deep in the curves. I'm not an interstate drone and do like the twisties. :laugh:

I did buy it and the tire looks to be in great shape so I'd be tempted to at least give it a whirl.
Most important! I wouldn't put a 6 year old tire on anything, period!!! Dangerous! Old tires that had lost their elasticity were eventually determined to be the cause of Paul Walker's death. I had a brand new 0 mile Raptor given to me that had been sittin' in a garage for 5 years and I dropped it off for disposal. (Didn't wanna hurt his feelings, also didn't want him to give it to anyone that might run it.)
So, on to CT's in general... (and this is only gonna be my personal opinion here) all CT's are safer than MT's. (There, I said it lol!)
They're better constructed, with higher load ratings, & more contact patch. I can out corner pretty much any MT (short of racing slicks) 2up, loaded heavy, and in the rain, on (almost) any CT (it has to have stiff enough sidewalls). (Now I've done it, lol!) The difference between CT's comes in the slow speed stuff. The wider & squarer the tire the harder it will be to control the weight at slow speed. Think of it like this, if you "curb" a steer tire on your auto while parallel parking next to a sidewalk, what happens? The tire tries to present the flat surface evenly to the sidewalk... and the steering wheel snaps around in your hand! Well, on 2 wheels it tries to present the flat surface evenly to all road imperfections (think of "wash board" pavement at stop signs/red lights from big trucks) and this shifts the entire weight supported by the tire in the direction that allows the tire to most evenly present the flattest face. AKA...it leans bike, you, passenger, load, and you must be ready and able to counter/correct for this... via lean, throttle, or jus' muscling the weight if you are coming to a stop.
Some tires do this more, like that G-Max or my Riken, but I'm 6'2" 275 with a 35" inseam, I jus' muscle it! (although it's gettin' tougher these days). Other tires are so forgiving they're almost unnoticeable in this regard (but I've never run one) hence the reason I suggest you avail yourself of the "fount of knowledge" available here from the masses that would know, LOL!
This "trying to present the flat surface evenly" is happening all the time regardless of what tire you choose (that's why a bit more counter-steer is required with CT's) but you'll barely notice it above about 10mph.
I still run wide and square because the characteristics have become instinctive to me (and I need the very best grip I can get, we crank & bank 2up pretty hard:superman1:) but when I first mounted that General I spent the better part of a day re-learning to corner and had numerous "close calls" in parking lots and at stop signs for the next coupla months! That can be almost entirely eliminated with the right (more MT like) CT.
Hope some of this helps (and I'm sure the guys will chime in since this got moved to the DS board).
Best of on your search! Get a "good un"... and you'll never go back>:)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
About six months ago I sold three rear wheels(no TPMS) for $18.00 total to a scrap yard. Three ads on this board yielded no takers at a $00 price,just pay shipping. All three needed cosmetic attention but were not damaged.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts