GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Wet road performance

To me it does not appear to have a large tire sidewall contact area in curves compared to a MC tire. It would be interesting to see a comparison of a MC tire vs a CT on the same stretch of road. Don't see a problem with this on dry roads but I would question how effective this would be in the rain or on a wet road. To each his own but not for me. In my mind a MC tire would have a lot more rubber on the road in curves and when roads are wet that's critical.
A CT has many more sipes in the tire to funnel water out from under the tire. A MT has large areas that are basically slicks and we know how slicks work on wet roads. I have had MTs kick out the back of the bike in the rain, but not car tires.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would suggest that Blacktop make a trip to Arkansas and follow Monk for a day. All you questions and concerns about a car tire will be answered. It took me several years to swap over. I was stubborn and did not think it would work. Now we sit at lunch and Monk tells everyone the stories about me not changing over. I am sure they are not for everyone but I am sold.
Exactly what put me over the finish line! Heh...you were on those rides...

I hear a lot of theory regarding the dangers of CTs, but I've yet to see any real world evidence. I'm a believer! :wink2:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Kinda wish this had been left in the "General" forum. Moving it to the "Darkside" forum implies that it is "Criticism" rather than simply "Informative" for everyone, Darksider or not.
:nerd:

·
Administrator
322 Posts
Kinda wish this had been left in the "General" forum. Moving it to the "Darkside" forum implies that it is "Criticism" rather than simply "Informative" for everyone, Darksider or not.
:nerd:
Moving the “Darkside Tail Of The Dragon” video to the Darkside board doesn’t imply criticism at all. It was moved there because that’s were it belongs. Threads pertaining to car tires will be moved to the Darkside board. That is clearly stated in this paragraph which can be found under “Darkside Riders.” I call your attention to the sentence in red.

“The owners of this website does not endorse the use of "any" car tires on a motorcycle. This board has been created so that there is no confusion that the owners of this site does not recommend, advocate or encourage the use of car tires on a motorcycle. All car tire threads will be moved here.”

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Moving the “Darkside Tail Of The Dragon” video to the Darkside board doesn’t imply criticism at all. It was moved there because that’s were it belongs. Threads pertaining to car tires will be moved to the Darkside board. That is clearly stated in this paragraph which can be found under “Darkside Riders.” I call your attention to the sentence in red.

“The owners of this website does not endorse the use of "any" car tires on a motorcycle. This board has been created so that there is no confusion that the owners of this site does not recommend, advocate or encourage the use of car tires on a motorcycle. All car tire threads will be moved here.”
Didn't know there was a "rule" . . . my bad. :frown2:

Like Oil threads I make it a point to NOT offer my thoughts or opinions when it comes to MC Tires vs CT's. :grin2:

·
Registered
464 Posts
That's awesome! I wonder what tire he's running. :grin2:
Rolling down the road, the profile looks exactly like the one on my Wing and the one delivered to my door an hour ago from Tire Rack. Mine is a Yokohama Avid Envigor RF. Got 22,500 on my first one and I thought I'd better be ready to go when I wear it out. Looks to have about half of the tread left, but I figure it's like the gas gauges on all my vehicles- the last half uses up faster than the first half. >:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
...but I figure it's like the gas gauges on all my vehicles- the last half uses up faster than the first half. >:)
Funny. It works like that for me...but only with those fuel tank(s). I put a front Bridgestone MT on before my Fall Adventure seeing as I was a "bit lower" than 2/32. My Rear BS/MT appeared to have enough to last for my expected 7,000 miles. Guess what?. That's right! My rear now looks to be about half-way between what it was then and 2/32 but my new front is very close to being toast.

Sigh.

·
DSI Keeper
9,098 Posts

I believe that quote may have been a carry over from the Hal/LaMont days. I am not sure the current owners of the board had ever express their opinions on this subject one way or the other.

·
Registered
565 Posts
To me it does not appear to have a large tire sidewall contact area in curves compared to a MC tire. It would be interesting to see a comparison of a MC tire vs a CT on the same stretch of road. Don't see a problem with this on dry roads but I would question how effective this would be in the rain or on a wet road. To each his own but not for me. In my mind a MC tire would have a lot more rubber on the road in curves and when roads are wet that's critical.
Contact patch area is a function of tire pressure and weight of the vehicle. Same weight, and the same tire pressure, means the same contact patch area. The shape of the contact patch will be different, but the area will be the same.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Impressive performance by that CT. Can anyone point to a post describing those peg feeler mods done? Would keep from having to replace the whole peg assembly.

Something for the Dark-Side folks to take a look at.

Following behind more than one Dark-Side bike on many a back road, I can attest to the accuracy of this video.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do racing motorcycles use car tires on a track. If not then why not? If they do then why vs motorcycling race tires?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Do racing motorcycles use car tires on a track. If not then why not? If they do then why vs motorcycling race tires?
Just some thoughts of stuff that might be in play, no expertise:

They lean further.
Perhaps some sponsorship things in play.

BTW, when I did a track day with my Goldwing, CT was prohibited and would have failed tech inspection. Not sure if the engineers had a say in that. The lawyers certainly did.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Not a post but a product, Peg Savers.
http://www.pepsx.com/products.html
Thanks for the link, @weengers. I've been thinking about getting some. I see three material choices.

Titanium sparks, right? I'll have to think about whether I want to showboat.

Any idea what the pros/cons of stainless vs. aluminum are? I'm guessing aluminum is cheaper but less durable. Enough less that I should care? Anything else?

With this belly on top of this bike, it's not like the weight matters here.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Please do not take as condescending or demeaning but this is comparing apples to tofu.

It's like saying:

Until they start running 36" 12 ply Mud & Snow tires at the Daytona 500, I'll only use Goodyear NASCAR slicks on my F-350 4x4.

By the way, on a Goldwing, you are not riding "on the sidewall" but riding on the edge or side of the tread. How much of the tread is dependent on tire construction, load and air pressure. You will hit hard parts long before you get to the sidewall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please do not take as condescending or demeaning but this is comparing apples to tofu.

It's like saying:

Until they start running 36" 12 ply Mud & Snow tires at the Daytona 500, I'll only use Goodyear NASCAR slicks on my F-350 4x4.

By the way, on a Goldwing, you are not riding "on the sidewall" but riding on the edge or side of the tread. How much of the tread is dependent on tire construction, load and air pressure. You will hit hard parts long before you get to the sidewall.
I have to disagree. We are doing the same thing but we are not doing it to the extreme as racers. Thanks for your input but you didn't answer my question. Why do racing motorcycles not use CTs on track racing? If there was any advantage I'm sure they'd be using them.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I have to disagree. We are doing the same thing but we are not doing it to the extreme as racers. Thanks for your input but you didn't answer my question. Why do racing motorcycles not use CTs on track racing? If there was any advantage I'm sure they'd be using them.
Then I will ask you a question. Why do racing motorcycles not use OEM tires or the converse, why do street motorcycles not use racing tires?

·
Registered
535 Posts
There is no advantage to a racer and never will be. No way you will ever see an argument that a professional racer should try a less toroidal shaped tire.

It is that extreme part that is the difference. Race bikes are lighter. Horsepower is greater. They are at the limit of traction constantly. They are leaned over at wicked lean angles. Tire life and cost is irrelevant. No rain, gravel, oil, steel deck bridges, tar snakes, railroad tracks, passengers.

IMHO there is really nothing that is the same between a typical Goldwing ride and a professional motorcycle race.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts