GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
DSI Keeper
9,126 Posts
I have to disagree. We are doing the same thing but we are not doing it to the extreme as racers. Thanks for your input but you didn't answer my question. Why do racing motorcycles not use CTs on track racing? If there was any advantage I'm sure they'd be using them.

Guess this will depend on your definition of what a race bike is. Have you ever looked at a drag bike? Why aren't they running 'race' tires?

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,190 Posts
You are answering my question with a question? I think you know the answers to your question.
and I think YOU knew the answer to your question also. No baiting, trolling, etc. If the Darkside is not your cup of tea, fine. Darksiders have absolutely no problem with that. Simply move on. Don't go looking for arguments. Geezzzz

·
Registered
57 Posts
and I think YOU knew the answer to your question also. No baiting, trolling, etc. If the Darkside is not your cup of tea, fine. Darksiders have absolutely no problem with that. Simply move on. Don't go looking for arguments. Geezzzz
Sorry to have ruffled any feathers. Just wanted to have a conversation. Didn't mean to come across as argumentative. I'll move on as you suggest.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’m running the dark side on the back, and so far I love it. Haven’t done the heavy curves as of yet, but great on everyday riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone figure out how to disable the stock TPS? 2 reasons, 1. CT 2. FOBO BIKE
sensors. You can find out the pressure & temp of both tires from your bed! Honda ones
you need to ride 1-2 miles before they come on!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I watched this video as well:

I know it's a K1600 but still dragging parts.

·
IronMan
17,175 Posts
to me it does not appear to have a large tire sidewall contact area in curves compared to a mc tire. It would be interesting to see a comparison of a mc tire vs a ct on the same stretch of road. Don't see a problem with this on dry roads but i would question how effective this would be in the rain or on a wet road. To each his own but not for me. In my mind a mc tire would have a lot more rubber on the road in curves and when roads are wet that's critical.
?????? What you see on a mc tire never changes = about 3 - 3/1/2 inches on road . I'll take ct any day . Not for you = ok !!!

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Administrator
4,190 Posts
I think what @blacktop is questioning is not the contact patch of a C/T running down a flat road but rather what it drops down to when in a corner, which I think is a legit question. M/T 101 says a M/T maintains a constant 'patch' whether running straight or in a curve. But let's face it, as we all know, a C/T raises one side or the other in a turn. Let's say you've got 5" running flat. What does that drop down to in a turn? Legit question. Not to put words in blacktops' mouth, but I think that was what he was asking, right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think what @blacktop is questioning is not the contact patch of a C/T running down a flat road but rather what it drops down to when in a corner, which I think is a legit question. M/T 101 says a M/T maintains a constant 'patch' whether running straight or in a curve. But let's face it, as we all know, a C/T raises one side or the other in a turn. Let's say you've got 5" running flat. What does that drop down to in a turn? Legit question. Not to put words in blacktops' mouth, but I think that was what he was asking, right?
Yes this is it exactly. Thanks for putting those words in my mouth.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Anyone figure out how to disable the stock TPS? 2 reasons, 1. CT 2. FOBO BIKE sensors. You can find out the pressure & temp of both tires from your bed! Honda ones you need to ride 1-2 miles before they come on!
Take a look at the attached. In this fashion the TPMS can be disabled and if need be, it can be easily restored.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Post #17 - I recall the pictures as well, may have been @trialsman that posted them.

Something I've seen done, but have not seen photos in a long time. Poor water on concrete, run through it then do a u turn. Do this with both a type tires. The contact patch on the CT will be wider! At one time, many years ago, I had a photo of that experiment.

Reactions: Monk

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,710 Posts

Had the same question many years ago. Once again I had a picture of a diagram that showed the difference. And I know a picture is better than many, many words. But to be brief ... Think of the MT contact patch as almost a circle ... think of the CT contact patch as a large oval. When measured the CT had more surface on the pavement than the MT. Without the picture, that is the best I can do. If I can find it I will post it, but it has been several years and computers ago!?

Reactions: Rellison

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm running a Austone Taxi tire on my Gl-1500.
About 8,000 miles on it so far.
Love it!
Rode The Dragon with it this past July.
Dragged the foot pegs a couple of times.
No problem at all keeping up with the others in
my group who were riding a variety of bikes.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Not a post but a product, Peg Savers.
http://www.pepsx.com/products.html
Thanks for the link, @weengers. I've been thinking about getting some. I see three material choices.

Titanium sparks, right? I'll have to think about whether I want to showboat.

Any idea what the pros/cons of stainless vs. aluminum are? I'm guessing aluminum is cheaper but less durable. Enough less that I should care? Anything else?

With this belly on top of this bike, it's not like the weight matters here.
I gotta drop a thought in here, hope y'all won't mind...
Titanium and stainless will both spark (titanium more-so).
With some of the dry Fall Color Rides we've been on, I'd be afraid of settin' the whole dang mountain on fire!
Wanted a set of titanium for as long as I can remember (I'm a bit of an "extrovert" to say the least>:)) but due to the risk, I'd hafta go with the aluminum.
They won't last nearly as long, (or be as much fun!) but I'll still get to enjoy the view...

2¢ worth, ride safe!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm running a Austone Taxi tire on my Gl-1500.
About 8,000 miles on it so far.
Love it!
Rode The Dragon with it this past July.
Dragged the foot pegs a couple of times.
No problem at all keeping up with the others in
my group who were riding a variety of bikes.
--

You'd better take care of that Austone. I don't believe they're available anymore. I've been using them on my Road Stars (as they were the only ct's that would fit), for the last 150,000 miles. I usually get 25,000 miles on them.

--

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
If you go to the sticky "Car tire pix", posted by Rail, there's a picture of the comparison between a MC tire and car tire contact patch. I don't know if that's the picture Monk was referring to or not. Based on that picture, even if the car tire contact patch was reduced by half in a turn, it would still provide a larger area attached to the road than the MT.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,710 Posts
If you go to the sticky "Car tire pix", posted by Rail, there's a picture of the comparison between a MC tire and car tire contact patch. I don't know if that's the picture Monk was referring to or not. Based on that picture, even if the car tire contact patch was reduced by half in a turn, it would still provide a larger area attached to the road than the MT.

That is very similar! :thumbup:

Borrowed from @Rail32

Tracing of wing on side stand . A car tire only gets a larger contact patch while under a load while cornering . A bike tire does not flex.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Friction

Have we all forgotten that the friction between two surfaces is not dependent on the contact area? It is dependent on the coefficient of friction and the force applied. Of course that no longer applies when the materials involved cannot handle the shear forces exerted.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts