GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure who to contact here, but I went to the http://murgie.com/installers.pdf link to find who could install a CT on my GW.

I saw right at the top of first page:
G&M tires HWY 72 West of Madison AL $10

I jumped on my GW and rode over to the place and spoke with the owner and one mechanic. Both of them stood there in a daze scratching their head looking at each other and said they have never mounted a CT on a GW. I showed them this printed out pdf and they said nope we can't install a CT on the rear rim of a GW because of the rotor and the clamps on his tire changer would damage the rotor. He said sorry.......

Just thought I would mention it here so that the PDF file could be updated.

Oh, did I mention I'm headed to the dark side...?
I'm trying to find a rear tire now and a place that will install it in / near Huntsville, Al.

Eck

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
CT size

Those guys were idiots. If they knew what they were talking about, they would know that the rear wheel on our wing does not have a rotor attached. Just lay the big girl over on her right side, take off the wheel and take it to them. If they question you, tell them its for the left side of a trailer.

Not sure who to contact here, but I went to the http://murgie.com/installers.pdf link to find who could install a CT on my GW.

I jumped on my GW and rode over to the place and spoke with the owner and one mechanic. Both of them stood there in a daze scratching their head looking at each other and said they have never mounted a CT on a GW. I showed them this printed out pdf and they said nope we can't install a CT on the rear rim of a GW because of the rotor and the clamps on his tire changer would damage the rotor. He said sorry.......

I'm trying to find a rear tire now and a place that will install it in / near Huntsville, Al.

Eck

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
maybe who posted took just wheel in off bike - or owner doesnt want to be posted he does for liability reasons !! ??

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With all the head scratching and expressed "doubt" I would rather NOT take my wheel to them...

I am looking for another place in (or near), the Huntsville, AL area who can &will mount a CT on my GW rim.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Like gary says, pull the tire and take it in saying it is for a custom trailer, left side for rotation purposes. A lot of places don't like to do MC rims, but the wing's is basically a funky car tire with a small center hole. There are a lot of people that have used the small independent tire shops. Reports from those who have used Walmart say they do it cheaply, but their machine tends to leave "bite marks" on the edge of the rim because they use an inside the rim holding clamp vs an outside edge clamp. Something to ask about when you take it to wherever.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

Eck
I rolled mine in there and they took my old C/T off and put my Vredestien on is all I know.:shrug:I took it to them in the back of my pick-up.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rolled mine in there and they took my old C/T off and put my Vredestien on is all I know.:shrug:I took it to them in the back of my pick-up.
Thanks Rocketman911,
I will be taking my wheel to them (with a new CT), soon, and I will update this thread with results once I get-r-done..

Thanks again
Eck

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I don't think I would have showed him the print out.

I hope he mounts it for ya, he probably doesn't realize he has been mounting CTs on a GW rim for RM.

If he doesn't want to mount it, I would suggest just finding another shop and not arguing about it.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I happen to agree with ohiowinger about not showing the list of installer who we think that will install CT's. All we need is for tire dealers/installers start refusing to install carry ins and that will end the darkside for many of you.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I happen to agree with ohiowinger about not showing the list of installer who we think that will install CT's. All we need is for tire dealers/installers start refusing to install carry ins and that will end the darkside for many of you.

Point taken. :thumbup:
thanks
Eck

·
Banned
146 Posts
Just found out this past Saturday The NEW general manager of Clinton Cycles says they won't be installing any car tires anymore

·
Registered
418 Posts
If the dealer is refusing because you did not buy the tire from them…I don’t have a problem with it…The guy at PepBoys in Sanford called me and told me he located 4 more tires and would be happy to order and install!!!! Some of their money is in the tire, so if they don’t sell it …I really do’t blame them to not install it…JMHO

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:agree:
He's probably installed a CT on a Wing's rim but didn't realize it. Probably just thought it was another car rim or maybe a trailer rim. :lol:

I don't think I would have showed him the print out.

I hope he mounts it for ya, he probably doesn't realize he has been mounting CTs on a GW rim for RM.

If he doesn't want to mount it, I would suggest just finding another shop and not arguing about it.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If you need help with getting one mounted, I'll mount it and balance it for you. Just bring me the rim (or if you like you're welcome to lay the bike over in my garage and pull the rim off at my place).

It will only cost you the gas money to travel to Leesburg, VA and back. :thumbup:

Just found out this past Saturday The NEW general manager of Clinton Cycles says they won't be installing any car tires anymore

1 - 14 of 14 Posts