GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a darksider for years so I'm aware of the tight fit issues and how to get it in place, etc. What I'm having problems with is mounting the new run-flat Goodyear tire onto the rim. Any tips or tricks to get this tire mounted. No tire shop will touch it (obviously) and I was able to get the tire onto the rim with the bottom bead but, for the life of me I cannot get the top bed mounted beyond halfway. I just don't have the body strength that I used to have so that may be part of my problem. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. For now I have my spare M/C tire on the bike but would really like to get the dark side back. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Mounting a run-flat car tire on any rim can be challenging. First, use plenty of rubber lubricant, something like NoMar tire paste or RuGlyde (sold by NAPA car part stores). Second, after you have begun to get that second bead partially on you need to keep that portion of the bead down toward the center of the rim. Some people have used multiple zip ties to compress the two beads together. If these tricks don't work, find the sticky thread at the beginning of the Darkside sub-forum. Many members here have made themselves available to mount car tires on motorcycle rims. Maybe you can find someone nearby to you.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Cut some 2X4 blocks and place them under the tire next to the rim so the bead is pushed into the drop center, then work the top bead onto the rim. Keeping the lower bead in the drop center allows you to move the tire toward one side, making it easier to get the last section to go on. This basically does the same thing as the zip ties, keeping the beads close together.

·
Registered
564 Posts
tell the tire shop, it is a wheel from your trailer. Be sure and say it is the Left Wheel so the tire "forward arrow" points correctly.
use Dyna Beads or similar for balance.

I have no trouble at all getting my rear tire changed that way.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The NoMar paste/jell type rubber lube turned out to be the trick for me. I tried the RyGlyde, dish soap, etc., but nothing comes close to the NoMar. Once mounted, it took another 20 minutes or so trying to wipe as much of it off the rim as I could. It makes the tire and rim slicker'n snot on a door knob, and mounting was fairly easy. I would not even attempt to mount the next CT without it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
NoMar and centering the tire is key.
I bought the tire changing stand with motorcycle wheel adapter from Harbour Freight then put bolt anchors in my garage floor to hold it in place. The right tools for the job are important too. The more leverage the better.

·
Registered
573 Posts
All of the above tips are good. One thing to add is warm the tire up. Because of where I live I always heat my tires up before removing or mounting. A warm tire is is flexable.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have only changed one myself because all the shops in my area have stopped doing it. I struggled quite a bit before using dish soap and water and two or three big wooden clamps from my woodworking shop to squeeze the tire together so the beads would fall into the center of the wheel. It went on very easy that way. It is getting to be more trouble than its worth nowadays to run a runflat in Prince Edward Island because in addition to the fact that no shops will mount it, they won't pass it for the annual safety inspection. I have a spare wheel, one with a brand new MC tire and one with the CT. I switch them for the inspection then switch them back after. I expect the MCT will last for years!!! Reg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts