GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i tried a pa3 but did not like the feeling when running over 1/2 of a object.....i want to go back to the darkside a have bought a rim...so...my question is which RF tire seems to be more rounded? narrower in width? maybe even correct the speedo on a 01 gl1800...

i appreciate all replies and info.....

thanks,

joe

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Question

I run a Michelin Alpin RF and I have no problems with it. It works for me. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Don't know if it's the roundest R/F, but I am really liking this tire!

[video]http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=6847338.135.1808&Breite= 195&Quer=55&Felge=16&Speed=&LoadRange=&kategorie=6 &Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&weiter=60& rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&Label=F-C-69-1&details=Ordern&typ=R-149359[/video]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious. How long did you give the Alpin a chance? There isn't too many CT'S that will be more bike tire like.
hi murgie,

i don't remember exactly...but it was not long enough....i read a article about rim differences and bailed...but, now that i'm going back i mite as well see what everyone is liking the best....i was thinking something narrower than a 205 might help????

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
JMO but what you experienced with the Alpin is going to be something that every CT will do, some more than others but from what I have been told, the PA3 is more forgiving than some of the others. I am on my 3rd PA3 and am now use to the quirks of running a CT, I don't even notice it any more unless I am going real slow, then I am aware of imperfections in the road, areas where asphalt and concrete join, etc.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
hi all,

i tried a pa3 but did not like the feeling when running over 1/2 of a object.....i want to go back to the darkside a have bought a rim...so...my question is which RF tire seems to be more rounded? narrower in width? maybe even correct the speedo on a 01 gl1800...

i appreciate all replies and info.....

thanks,

joe
One of the downsides to the Darkside is the feedback from the rear wheel at low speeds.... There are a couple of techniques that are good to keep in mind ... An uneven surface like pot holes or worse an uneven groove at an intersection that has had a lot of heat from the sun and weight of vehicles has messed it up... It can throw you into the next lane...

When coming to a stop do it quickly... When starting up do it quickly and get some bike speed... It will even things out..... Cheers....

·
Registered
115 Posts
One of the downsides to the Darkside is the feedback from the rear wheel at low speeds.... There are a couple of techniques that are good to keep in mind ... An uneven surface like pot holes or worse an uneven groove at an intersection that has had a lot of heat from the sun and weight of vehicles has messed it up... It can throw you into the next lane...

When coming to a stop do it quickly... When starting up do it quickly and get some bike speed... It will even things out..... Cheers....

Thanks for this. :thumbup:

I'm getting my first ct next week so I reading up on what to buy/expect/"need to know". The uneven surface thing.. happens on me anyway with my mt. This intersection (although a little difficult to see the intensity, you get the idea from the concrete man hole which is flat to the canyon size sink holes in the asphalt) has to be the worst ever. I don't think I'll be frequenting this area for a while with the ct.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yes a CT acts just like a really fat moto tire. Those ruts would be challenging if you didn't stay in the trough.

Talk to the guys that run those fat chopper rears and they'll likely make the same comment. You get use to it after awhile and learn to anticipate it. It can reach up and bite you if you aren't paying attention though.... normally when you have a crowd around you :oops:.
Thanks for this. :thumbup:

I'm getting my first ct next week so I reading up on what to buy/expect/"need to know". The uneven surface thing.. happens on me anyway with my mt. This intersection (although a little difficult to see the intensity, you get the idea from the concrete man hole which is flat to the canyon size sink holes in the asphalt) has to be the worst ever. I don't think I'll be frequenting this area for a while with the ct.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I run both the Alpin and the Yoko ENVigor ZPS. I prefer the Yoko, I think it handles better and is better in the wet stuff........my 3 cents worth. Good luck Sir.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I run both the Alpin and the Yoko ENVigor ZPS. I prefer the Yoko, I think it handles better and is better in the wet stuff........my 3 cents worth. Good luck Sir.

What's a "wet stuff" ???

we don't have that sort of thing in CA.
:oops:

·
Registered
407 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I need tires. Considering ANY darkside tire right now. Only got 6k miles on rear and alreary at wear indicators. But want to ride a similar bike so I can get a feel for it first. Any local darkside folks in SoCal willing to accomodate?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I need tires. Considering ANY darkside tire right now. Only got 6k miles on rear and alreary at wear indicators. But want to ride a similar bike so I can get a feel for it first. Any local darkside folks in SoCal willing to accomodate?
Whatever tire you end up with, make sure it is a run flat. The sidewalks on a reg CT, without air, can't hold the Wing up at all...even less than a moto tire.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Whatever tire you end up with, make sure it is a run flat. The sidewalls on a reg CT, without air, can't hold the Wing up at all...even less than a moto tire.
%100 true fact .
Notice I ( me , yes me ) fixed your spelling oops !:lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
457 Posts
How much speedometer error is created by CT's? Will a different size correct? If so, what size?

·
Registered
49 Posts
How much speedometer error is created by CT's? Will a different size correct? If so, what size?
My stock MC tire was off (speedo reading higher) on the Speedo by 4-5 MPH with my CT that has dropped to about 2-3 MPH off. If you bump up to a 60 instead of a 55 that could go lower. either way it is nothing to sweat.:nojoke:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts