GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used "BEADS" for along time but got a deal on centramatics. I have a 195/55-16 Driveguard rear mounted and am unable to get it installed with the centramatic on the lug bolts. Any tips or suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,507 Posts
I use the lay over method to change my rear tire. So, my explanation revolves around that. First I put the tire back on the hub on the bike. Before putting the lug nuts back, I left the tire up with one hand and slide the Centramatic disk between the tire rim and the hub. It is a pretty tight fit, but it goes in there with very little difficulty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a bike jack to change tire. I tried to mount tire after putting centramatic on. Maybe I could slip centramatic on by sliding the rear wheel to the left side and inserting centra. between lugs and wheel. I have a flat topped scissor jack to adjust tire to correct height. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
With the bike on the PitBull lift, starting from the left side, position the deflated tire in the wheel well and support it with a roller stool and a Harbor Freight wheel cleaning stand. (I have the roller stool and cleaning stand adjusted so the wheel is at the proper height for installation.) Move to the right side and install the centramatic balancer on the lug bolts. Move back to the left side and roll the wheel until the lug bolts line up, then install the wheel and lug nuts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Everything I have seen or read said to get the wheel up into the wheel well first than slide the Centramatic up in place. I as wondering if you could "stick" the Centramatic to the wheel and slide them up together but have not tried that.

I'm sure you know but a friendly reminder to make sure the balancer is oriented correctly.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything I have seen or read said to get the wheel up into the wheel well first than slide the Centramatic up in place. I as wondering if you could "stick" the Centramatic to the wheel and slide them up together but have not tried that.

I'm sure you know but a friendly reminder to make sure the balancer is oriented correctly.
I'll play stupid,easy for me. I have the balancer side to the left or clutch side of the housing.Correct?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well that's what I did so we are the same - whether correct or incorrect! Same way they show on the factory video but not saying that left is always right.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll play stupid,easy for me. I have the balancer side to the left or clutch side of the housing.Correct?
I will try again when the weather is better. I had a hell of a time mounting unit and then tire and gave up yesterday. Next I'll try tire first and then unit. It's a heavy SOB getting the units together. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Clean the mounting surface on your rear wheel, and the side of the Centramatic that would be against the wheel. Spray that side of the Centramatic with spray adhesive, allow it to cure for a few minutes, then stick it to the wheel, lining up the lug holes. Let it set and cure for a while, then slide the two together into the wheel well and mount it up. Just like mounting a gasket for a water pump. I do agree though, trying to mount this up with the bike on its side would be easier.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advise. I used a little of several ideas and it went a lot easier.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well I installed the new Avid Envigor yesterday after having my local mc shop mount the tire for me. I tried something a bit different this time as it can be a chore to lift her into the wheel well. I had her strapped down on the Harbor Freight lift. I shimmed under the front wheel with 2x6 pieces just in case. After soaping up the side of the tire and the part of the well that gives ya trouble, I set up a folcrum (2 pieces of 4x4's stacked),lifted the tire off the ground and then had my better half use a 6' 2x4 as lever to keep the tire going up. Wow, she just popped right in. I then had my wife hold the tire with the lever and I was able to slilde the centramatic in place.
Even when I used a mc tire, I always had to remove the Centramatic before pulling the wheel and then install the Centramatic after getting the wheel in the well. Just saying.:cool:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I raised bike on pit-bull lift and loosened tire. Put a large scissor jack under tire and moved it to the left(clutch)side slid centramatic behind wheel flat side to the right. Adjusted scissor jack to match tire and lugs and put lugs back on. Maybe 20-30 min. total time Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts