Registered
334 Posts
Pireli Snow Control
Smooth and handles well. My first and wont go back

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Snow control

Where can you get a run flat snow control this time of year? I have looked at a few sites and no one seems to have them.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Try tirerack dot com or walmart dot com

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Looking for pros and cons on going dark! Open to suggestions on tire.
PROS
About 20% more miles from a tire.
Safer with a run flat.
Less expensive than a MC tire.

CONS
Shunned by the nonbelievers.
Does not handle as well at slow speeds on uneven pavement. But you lean to adapt. Once moving you can't tell any difference.

Comparison
Don't listen to people telling you that you will get really high mileage from a CT. The amount of miles depends greatly on amount of twisties you ride, the roughness of pavement in your area and your riding style. One person can take a X brand CT and get 35K out of it and another person that is more aggressive might get 6K out of the same X brand tire. Like I mentioned above, you usually will get about 20% from a CT than a MT. Reason why??? The CT has deeper tread.

It takes anywhere from 100 miles to 500 miles to adjust.

You didn't say where you are from????? I most usually have an extra CT mounted on a spare rim for someone to try for a few hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Pirelli P1 run flat! Pros: Price, Improved ride, good control, improved traction on wet roads, improved tread life, and it won't leave you stranded with a flat.

Cons: Purist hate the fact you run one and they don't.

Anyone who says they don't handle as well as a MC tire hasn't seen Murgie ride the twisties on one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have run two diff tires on two diff bikes and hated both of them. That and the inability to get a tire worked on or changed out except for special places is a no go for me. So happy to get back to a MT.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I guess it's time. I bought a spare rear rim about three years ago with the intention of trying a ct. I've been satisfied with the stock Bridgestone mc tires so the spare rim has just been gathering dust. I usually get anywhere between 10k to 15K miles before I need to replace. This spring I got a small nail in the rear tire. The tire didn't leak, but it was getting close to the wear bars so I replaced it. Today while checking the tires I noticed another nail in the almost new tire. Soapy water indicated just a very small leak. I pulled the nail and plugged the tire. Thankfully I found these nails while at home and neither caused any serious issue. But I need to take it as a warning sign. If there's one thing I hate it's getting stuck on the side of the road and even worse would be a sudden quick and complete deflation. I'll follow Monk's advice and buy a Pirelli run flat. I may even find the time to attend this fall's DS ride in and get to meet in person all you kamikazes :wink2:.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
I guess it's time. I bought a spare rear rim about three years ago with the intention of trying a ct. I've been satisfied with the stock Bridgestone mc tires so the spare rim has just been gathering dust. I usually get anywhere between 10k to 15K miles before I need to replace. This spring I got a small nail in the rear tire. The tire didn't leak, but it was getting close to the wear bars so I replaced it. Today while checking the tires I noticed another nail in the almost new tire. Soapy water indicated just a very small leak. I pulled the nail and plugged the tire. Thankfully I found these nails while at home and neither caused any serious issue. But I need to take it as a warning sign. If there's one thing I hate it's getting stuck on the side of the road and even worse would be a sudden quick and complete deflation. I'll follow Monk's advice and buy a Pirelli run flat. I may even find the time to attend this fall's DS ride in and get to meet in person all you kamikazes :wink2:.
SE YA IN OCTOBER IN PA ! :wink2:

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I can't say there is any con's as far as I am concerned except hearing the "flat earthers" tell me I am going to crash and burn. I can't tell much difference in the slow speed handing with the P1 and I get far more than %20 better mileage. I think a lot depends on your style of riding. Most of my riding miles are put on outside my home state so you can't say my mileage is so high because I live in the "tail of the gator" state. As long as I can get P1's from Tire Rack or Tire Kingdom that's what I will ride on. When I can't I will find another place.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Many of us acquired a second rear wheel from a trike take off.
I like others mounted the run-flat Ct on one rim, and had the other MC tire there to swap back and forth to compare.
I originally thought he CT would be for those long trips out to nowhere. where the run flat feature would get us out of trouble.
That was about 8 years ago, and honestly, the right run-flat CT has proved to perform so much better and in so many conditions and situations, I have actually lost confidence in the OEM motorcycle tire.
Perhaps the best way to compare is first selecting the "right" CT, and also having 2 rear wheels so one can swap back and forth. This is what I did 8 years ago and even periodically today. But I always come to the same conclusion. The MC tire just does not deliver the better load rating, run-flat feature, traction, smooth ride and gyroscopic stability in severe cross winds.... as does the CT.
First. Mich- Alpin
Now Pirelli Winter 210 snowcontrol

So that's my story.:serious:
Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
RF CTs

[stuff deleted]

Perhaps the best way to compare is first selecting the "right" CT, and also having 2 rear wheels so one can swap back and forth. This is what I did 8 years ago and even periodically today. But I always come to the same conclusion. The MC tire just does not deliver the better load rating, run-flat feature, traction, smooth ride and gyroscopic stability in severe cross winds.... as does the CT.
First. Mich- Alpin
Now Pirelli Winter 210 snowcontrol

So that's my story.:serious:
Corventure Dave
Interestingly, when I first tried the Michelin, I did not like it at all. I'm currently running a Yoko, but am going to try the SnowControl next.

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
I think it might be time to stop calling it the darkside. Why be defensive? Running a CT, particularly a run-flat CT, on a motorcycle is an absolute no-brainer. It's an enlightened view and should be called the lightside.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I think it might be time to stop calling it the darkside. Why be defensive? Running a CT, particularly a run-flat CT, on a motorcycle is an absolute no-brainer. It's an enlightened view and should be called the Enlightenedside.
Fixed it :wink2:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Darksside

I think it might be time to stop calling it the darkside. Why be defensive? Running a CT, particularly a run-flat CT, on a motorcycle is an absolute no-brainer. It's an enlightened view and should be called the lightside.
I'm not defensive about the tires I run. However, IMO the industry will never embrace CTs on a MC. It is very simple - follow the money. I spend $200 or so on a MC tire and get 10K out of it. I spend $120 or so on a RF CT and get 15K from the tire. Why would Bridgestone / Dunlop / Michelin support me buying a cheaper tire and getting more miles out of it? Why would motorcycle publications who are supported by tire companies recommend cheaper tires with longer life?

BTW: My last Yokohama Avid Envigor RF CT was a couple of years old when I bought it and I paid $95 for it. What a deal! I knew it was going on the bike within a week of the tire being delivered and I knew it would be worn out within 6 months so I did not worry about its age. (I know some people do not like the Yoko, but I get along with it OK.) .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My thanks to all that replied to my ?s. I live currently on the Western side of Washington State, where even concrete blocks grow fur, my GW is an 2012 which I am enjoying immensly.
I do plan on going Dark, ..... My next ? is not so much the tire but the size, definitely will be RF as I have had the experience of recently running over some debris and having the rear tire immediately go flat....not a fun thing to have happen at freeway speeds.
Thanking you in advance
JMAC

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
My thanks to all that replied to my ?s. I live currently on the Western side of Washington State, where even concrete blocks grow fur, my GW is an 2012 which I am enjoying immensly.
I do plan on going Dark, ..... My next ? is not so much the tire but the size, definitely will be RF as I have had the experience of recently running over some debris and having the rear tire immediately go flat....not a fun thing to have happen at freeway speeds.
Thanking you in advance
JMAC
195/55 R16

Blowing a tire at freeway speeds on the West side of Washington can't be all that bad. Rush hour speed is like what, 2 hours a mile? :wink2: Good luck, ride safe, and keep the shiny side up.

Reactions: gkarasik
1 - 19 of 19 Posts