GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted my Bridgestone Turanza 195/65/16 on my 99 GL1500 today. Have @ 1/8" to drive shaft side of swingarm @ 41lbs. Have to repair my alternator before I head out across country, (leaking oil from seal behind the drive flange :eek:4: and change the oil). Have to go p/u a darkside front tire tomorrow and mount it. Where do I get them COOKIES? & number/decal?????

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
New Darksider

Just finished a trip from Wichita, KS to Niagara Fall, NY. The Metzler (with only 2k miles) blew on the way back. I went darkside with a Dunlop 195/60/R16. WOW. I'll never go back. Bike rides better (2-up w/ trailer), tracks straighter. I really don't notice much difference cornering, as the shoulders of this tire are somewhat rounded. I love it! Any suggestions for darkside front?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: AND WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
PM sent....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!
Rail32, I'll be on my way Friday, 1 day later than I planned. So I'll have the sniffer going when I cross the border into WI from MN. Might be hitting WI on Wed-Thurs. next week.
Had to make a trip up to Compufire today to get a seal put into my alternator. Has had a nasty leak & got tired of the mess. Was a good trip to LA(as good as in a cage could be) as they asked me to test run a new Alt. for them on this trip when I told them I was headed across country, they have changed electronics and need a test bike(Guinea pig) before they put them out to the public, I'll have my compufire as a backup in the trailer. The drawback is they hadn't assembled one so they are going to send down UPS tomorrow which I should get it Thursday to put on and then leave here early Friday morning to get ahead of the desert heat in Quartzite on the way to Flagstaff to spend the night at friend's house.
I haven't gotten out on the bike yet to try it out yet as I was changing the oil, putting the alt back on, bags, used Corbin I have had but hadn't put on and still have to do some rewire of accessory lighting on the bags to be able to unhook easier. They look nice but keeping it simple is faster when changing tires on the 1500(it was all on there from the first owner). Maybe by noon tomorrow:coffee1:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Thanks all!
Rail32, I'll be on my way Friday, 1 day later than I planned. So I'll have the sniffer going when I cross the border into WI from MN. Might be hitting WI on Wed-Thurs. next week.
just get ahold of me a few days before so I save some for ya :thumbup: pm sent

·
Registered
906 Posts
Pictures are always appreciated

I just mounted my Bridgestone Turanza 195/65/16 on my 99 GL1500 today. Have @ 1/8" to drive shaft side of swingarm @ 41lbs. Have to repair my alternator before I head out across country, (leaking oil from seal behind the drive flange :eek:4: and change the oil). Have to go p/u a darkside front tire tomorrow and mount it. Where do I get them COOKIES? & number/decal?????
Pictures ..? A 195 is a wide tire for the GL1500 I believe...

I hope it works well for you so we GL1500 riders can have more choices....The 195 -65 stays close to the OEM...

Will the tire expand as it heats enough to rub the swing arm..?

Just looking for more data for us Classic 6 Riders.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pictures ..? A 195 is a wide tire for the GL1500 I believe...

I hope it works well for you so we GL1500 riders can have more choices....The 195 -65 stays close to the OEM...

Will the tire expand as it heats enough to rub the swing arm..?

Just looking for more data for us Classic 6 Riders.

Good questions Carl, I've thought of them too. I had a Metz 88o on my 83 that had 1/8" to the drive shaft too and it didn't rub, same as I have with this tire, so hoping, praying this will work out. I didn't want to go with a shorter than stock tire as I scrape way too soon already. The Vredestien is no longer available, and the ship time for the Austone was going to set me back. I put on one of the last Vredestiens on a friends 1500 in late January and he really likes it, it is @ 1" taller than the E3. This Bridgestone is identical in height to the E3 mounted up and is 1/4" wider at the rim to outside of the tire putting a straightedge on the tire and measuring to the rim. I'll find out this weekend as I'm headed your way, my son lives in Hancock, WI. Going to see my newest grandson who is almost 5 months now and his 2 older bros. Going to hook up with Rail for some of them Cookies! Probably Sat 8/20 for a ride so if want to see it, get together then. Send me a pm with your phone number and I'll give a call when I know more closely. Where in SE WI are you?
God Bless,
Stu

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going Dbl DS

Just picked up a BT45 Rear today to put on the front tomorrow, Going Dbl Dark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts