GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would take a few minutes and pass along my tire experience from the last few weeks. Wife and I finished the Iron Butt Rally 2up on our wing running a Perelli(RF) on rear Stones in front.
My plan was to leave home with a new tire (2600 miles to the start) Ride the rally(11,000miles) ride home (2000 Miles). We did this without any drama caused by tires. I run the smart tire system on my bike and was able to monitor temp/pressure constantly. Never had any issues with over heating even on I 10 at 118 degrees.
All in all I would say that I was very pleased with the tire selection that I made. Listening to some of the after Rally chatter I believe all the darkside bikes had simular results. At least one wing had a tire failure but they were in a MC tire.

Greginky IBA#424

·
Registered
176 Posts
So almost 40,000 miles in way under 1 month on a car tire? What sort of treachery is this?

Seriously....thanks for the info, I'm a brand new double dark sider and this certainly raises the confidence about my tire arrangement. :yes1:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Thought I would take a few minutes and pass along my tire experience from the last few weeks.
Wife and I finished the Iron Butt Rally 2up on our wing running a Perelli(RF) on rear Stones in front.
..I run the smart tire system on my bike..Greginky IBA#424
Congratulations on your ride :thumbup:

.. and THANK YOU for sharing information about the car tire.

The "wisdom" of using a car tire for touring on the GL1800
is nearly irrefutable (although I'm sure some will still try).

The additional information regarding the importance of
monitoring the tire with some type of TPMS
is gaining
momentum but it needs to be reinforced often.

Without TPMS I have twice managed to let the rear tire go low..
(over 110,000 miles on car tires now)
.. once, picked up a nail on the interstate and did not realize it until the off ramp.
.. another time, checking the pressure with a tire that had Dynabeads and one clogged the valve.
The pressure checked good but the tire slowly lost air as I rode.

Most of the air pressure "lost" with a car tire is caused by checking it daily (if you do).
A TPMS eliminates the need for that.
I've now gone from adding air once or twice a week to once or twice a month.

I'm on my second set of the "Pirelli/Bridgestone" combination
and that is the best I've found so far.
(edit: 2nd Pirelli, 4th Bridgestone... I get about two to one)
I just finished 11,000 miles of coast to coast back roads
two up with that combo and they performed flawlessly in every
conceivable type of weather encountered
(sun, rain, wind, snow, hail, tornados)
.. of course, not 11 days, it took me 6 weeks.

I've used the Smartire TPMS in the past but after busting
two of the sensors while changing tires I've gone to the TireGuard TPMS.
They get the job done and are easy to install.
The sensors are external.

..imho..
Please,
If you use a car tire, install some type of TPMS.

Dennis

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good job Greg and Pat. Congrats.
Good to know the Stone went the distance. It may be my next front. Anything left on it?
My Bridgestone BT45/Dunlop SP5000 combo performed similarly. My round trip mileage on the tires turned out to be 16,340 with plenty left.
Whats next?

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
So almost 40,000 miles in way under 1 month on a car tire? What sort of treachery is this?

Seriously....thanks for the info, I'm a brand new double dark sider and this certainly raises the confidence about my tire arrangement. :yes1:
What did I miss? How do you figure 40,000?

Looks like about 15,600 to me. (2,000 + 11,000 + 2,600)

Still lots for a short period of time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mike,
Glad you are home safe. Was nice sharing the road with you. What's next? Good Question, I'm going to Alaska next year. Plan to do alot of RTE's and MTF stuff till then. Pat is already talking about '13.

the front tire doesn't look new but it has alot of miles left in it. Due to the nature of this years rally I didn't get to use up alot of the shoulders of the tires
greginky

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats:on your ride!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I envy your Alaska plans Greg. I would love to get back up there, only spend more time the next time.
Gotta love Pat looking forward to '13. Me, I donno. I have put of a lot of stuff on hold to do the IBR so there is plenty of stuff waiting for my attention. Plus, since I am now retired, I want to spend more time at my TN place. So maybe I'll just kick back a bit and smell the roses as they say.
Anyway, good riding with ya'll. Take care, ride safe and maybe I'll see ya at a RTE somewhere............right after I run the Void again, another Superman and CF, and a BL and a LOE,............wait, did I say that? heh

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
More confirmation of a great decision to go to the Darkside!

·
Registered
67 Posts
More info re: CT in the IBR.
This was our second IBR on a CT. In 2009, we ran a Kumho RF 195/55 and a BT45.......this years rally was no different. With a total of about 13K during the Rally plus 1K to the start and 250 mi. to home, the rear tire is about 2/3 gone, with even wear. The BT45 is worn only a few 32nds, and no cupping.

We also use the SmarTire TPM. During the Rally, both tires lost about 2PSI. Started with 35PSI in the rear, and 39PSI in the front, we never added air. Needless to say, we are very pleased with our tire performance.

-tom (and Rosie)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Greg-n-Pat, Tom-n-Rosie, Mike, Congratulations for finishing the IBR. Lots of tough miles through all kinds of weather. Kudo's to all of you.....

Glad the tires worked out for y'all. I think I'm getting close to installing # 14 or so.

We're leaving Friday to Start riding the Continental Divide Trail on our Dual Sports...

Again, Congrats on the Monster Rides......

Sleddog

·
Administrator
3,719 Posts
Greg and Pat, Tom and Rosie

My hat is off to you (and to all the other IBR riders) for your accomplishment in finishing this ride. I try to call myself an Iron Butt rider, but you people are an order of magnitude above us wannabe's.:congrats:

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you.

Glen

·
Registered
664 Posts
Greg and Pat, Tom and Rosie

My hat is off to you (and to all the other IBR riders) for your accomplishment in finishing this ride. I try to call myself an Iron Butt rider, but you people are an order of magnitude above us wannabe's.:congrats:

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you.

Glen
What Glen said doubled ! :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts