GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right you guys, I'm finally convinced. I've just finished a ride in Kentucky and it has rained every day. Our leader had a Continental on the rear and never even noticed the traction difference but I assure you there was a difference.

I want to go with a run flat so give me some options on tires to consider.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
If interested, I've got a couple of different run flat available you can test ride to your hearts content. I'm in Crossville TN . Takes me about 10-15 minutes to swap. The three current flavors of the month are the Yokohama avid envignor, the Driveguard and the pirelli P1.

Anyhow, pm me if interested in a trial run.

·
IronMan
18,045 Posts
If interested, I've got a couple of different run flat available you can test ride to your hearts content. I'm in Crossville TN . Takes me about 10-15 minutes to swap. The three current flavors of the month are the Yokohama avid envignor, the Driveguard and the pirelli P1.

MAKE SURE HE SIGNS A CRASN N BURN RELEASE !! :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Jerry, I was planning on calling you soon anyway!

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Forgot to add. I also mount tires. (@Capt. Bob that's putting a tire on a rim, not the type of mounting action you are used to seeing... 😈🤣)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I want to go with a run flat so give me some options on tires to consider.
I am currently running my second 195 55 16 Hankook Optimo H426B run flat on my GL1800. I have previously ran a Michelin Alpena, and a couple of Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS, and my brother has a Driveguard on his 1800.
I like the feel of the Hankook better than any of the others, the Yoko was close but IMHO the Hankook is better.. Got the same miles of usage (20K aprox.) out of the Hankook as the Yoko's. The Michelin was on the bike when I bought it and close to used up, miles unknown. My brother has gotten a few more miles out of the Driveguards, but I do not like the feel of those or the Michelin as well as the Hankook.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Optimo H426B HRS&partnum=955VR6H426HRS

Reactions: Bank-Shot

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I am currently running my second 195 55 16 Hankook Optimo H426B run flat on my GL1800. I have previously ran a Michelin Alpena, and a couple of Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS, and my brother has a Driveguard on his 1800.
I like the feel of the Hankook better than any of the others, the Yoko was close but IMHO the Hankook is better.. Got the same miles of usage (20K aprox.) out of the Hankook as the Yoko's. The Michelin was on the bike when I bought it and close to used up, miles unknown. My brother has gotten a few more miles out of the Driveguards, but I do not like the feel of those or the Michelin as well as the Hankook.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Optimo H426B HRS&partnum=955VR6H426HRS
IMO, the Yoko does not provide nearly the rideability of the P1. When I put a P1 on the rear of my Goldwing, I seemed to drag a peg every turn because the P1 was so much easier to turn than the Yoko. I have worn out several Yoko ZPS tires and in fact had a great time with one on the Dragon. I feel like the Yoko is more stable when flat with its heavy weight and stiff sidewalls, but I prefer the P1 hands down in the twisties. I have no experience with the Hankook so I can't compare that one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Darkside has some positive benefits, but it usually requires constant counter steer to stay leaning in a curve.
It's not a good choice if most of your riding is in rolling hills and curvy roads.
I made a good choice with the P1 last year for a 9k mile trip out west.
It rode the Dragon a few times, it was comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts