GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a couple of hours yesterday afternoon so I headed out to carve some curves in North Georgia. I felt frisky so I rode to one of my favorite roads with a lot of curves including some long sweepers. Traffic was light, as usual on this road during the week.

After starting out at a moderate clip, I spooled it up to my personal 10/10ths. Let me explain here that I usually ride with guys who are faster than I. Their normal pace is a fun ride for me and not pushing what I feel are my limits, but challenging, so I rarely go out and do what I was doing yesterday.

Out of the blue I realized that, for me to be riding at 10/10ths on a public highway, I have basically said to myself that there is no chance of anything being around that next curve that could cause me any concern.

I have presumed that there is no way that a truck has dropped its load on the roadway, that fallen wet leaves have not been all blown off the road, that no one has stopped to make a turn, et cetera.

Bottom line: I won't be doing that again. I'll save any "spirited riding" for a time when I'm behind one or more other bikes with radios who can warn me of stuff ahead. And I will limit my solo rides to a moderate pace.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Good post. I roadraced motorcycles years ago, and had some success at it. Yet today, I frequently ride on public roads with other folks who ride faster than I do.

I'm sure they question whether I really did roadrace and how good I must have been. But the reason you stated is why. I still ride faster than most riders, but I have great respect for things that can happen on the street that I did not have to worry about on a race track.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I knew better

Trailsman, you are so right! A few months ago a colleague died when he came around a curve and hit a car turning around on the highway. The cager was cited for failure to yield the right of way, but I couldn't help thinking that it was, in the final analysis, the motorcylist 's 'fault." When you ride at a speed that does not allow you to stop within the distance you can see down the road, you place your life in the hands of fate. If my friend had been in a car, there would have been a crash, but almost certainly no major injuries. When we ride, we are vulnerable, and we must take responsibility for this added vulnerability. I doubt anyone else will, and I'm certainly not going to bet my life on it! So, when I'm on a blind curve, or cresting a hill, I slow way down. I may piss off a driver or two behind me, but I move over and let them pass first chance I get. I don't let anybody push me past what I consider a safe speed for the terrain, and I try to be as couteous as I can, and not unnecessarily antagonize anyone else on the road. I like to lean as much as the next rider, that's why I ride safely. I want to keep on leanin' for many years to come.

·
Registered
652 Posts
For me most of the time riding within my limits I consider is looking out for the unexpected and allowing time for it.
There is always the chance of the grim reaper waiting in the sidelines and you have no control of that but living in Silver Hair Country requires a greater margin of safety.
TR

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arn Butt Bill said:
That's why I always ride 2-up and slow.

Everyone should know that Arnbutt's definition of "slow" is a little different from most of the Wing riders I have met over the years.

I'm not saying his "slow" is fast, just faster than most folks' definition of the term.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I hope the word "darn" in the title of your post isn't a hint that anything bad actually happened. You're just looking back in reflection and critiquing your ride. Right?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I take the long way to work everyday, riding through the canyons east of San Diego in the dark. I have every intention of making it a slow, relaxing ride, but I get cranked up somewhere along the way, and I find myself riding much faster than is prudent.
I guess I like the level of focus it requires me to have, being as watchful as possible for something requiring an immediate correction. I'll ride again tomorrow, and will try to behave better, but I can't guarantee it. :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Helmetdance said:
I hope the word "darn" in the title of your post isn't a hint that anything bad actually happened. You're just looking back in reflection and critiquing your ride. Right?
No, nothing happened other than me waking up to the risks that I was taking.

By the way, Arnbutt, Toyo and their brides will be just North of Gadsden Saturday at one of my off-road competitions. PM one of them, maybe we can all hook up.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
trialsman said:
Had a couple of hours yesterday afternoon so I headed out to carve some curves in North Georgia. I felt frisky so I rode to one of my favorite roads with a lot of curves including some long sweepers. Traffic was light, as usual on this road during the week.

After starting out at a moderate clip, I spooled it up to my personal 10/10ths. Let me explain here that I usually ride with guys who are faster than I. Their normal pace is a fun ride for me and not pushing what I feel are my limits, but challenging, so I rarely go out and do what I was doing yesterday.

Out of the blue I realized that, for me to be riding at 10/10ths on a public highway, I have basically said to myself that there is no chance of anything being around that next curve that could cause me any concern.

I have presumed that there is no way that a truck has dropped its load on the roadway, that fallen wet leaves have not been all blown off the road, that no one has stopped to make a turn, et cetera.

Bottom line: I won't be doing that again. I'll save any "spirited riding" for a time when I'm behind one or more other bikes with radios who can warn me of stuff ahead. And I will limit my solo rides to a moderate pace.
Yeah, I love what you call spirited riding also but do feel a little more comfortable if someone else is out front as long as they're setting a good fast pace. I like the increased safety margin as long as I don't feel held back. I've top hills or rounded blind curves to find stopped cages, slow mail vehicles, farm tractors running 5 mph, cattle in the road, deer, small varmits, etc, etc. well I'm sure we all know. Terry 8)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Great post.

This is one reason I don't ride much at night. When I do, I prefer well lit roads or Interstates.

If an accident occurs, it doesn't matter if you were in the right if you die.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts