GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the seat off of my 2018 DCT to run a fused line to the top box and was putting on the seat when a friend stopped by. He volunteered to help! After a few attempts he ask if we could take the seat off so he could have a look at how it latched. He had a good look chased the threads of the bolt holes with a bolt. He then suggested rounding the start portion of the thread on the bolt. Since I have extra bolts I said have at it. He rounded the threads and much to my surprised both bolts installed without much effort. You can teach old dogs new tricks.
Bill

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,486 Posts
I rarely have issues aligning the seat or with the bolts. Hack 1. Grind off tongue on pan. Hack 2 reverse spacers to inside or is it outside? Which prevents them from falling out.

Reactions: Downunder wing

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
pointed bolts greatly increase the potential for cross threading.

I have never had a problem with the seat since I started keeping the "never put anything here" zone clear up next to the forward left side of the crossbar of the frame (bike perspective). There is a huge block on the seat that needs that space. I have not modified anything of the mounting of the seat short of gluing in the spacers and every now and then put some silicone grease on the rubber feet the seat sits on. The bolt tabs must be in the correct place before they will go down, and strangely enough, that is the same spot that the forward tab needs to be to go where it goes. It does not hinder anything, it aids in alignment. I also look at the holes the bolts go into, and each and every time, they line up to the threads because of making sure there is nothing in the way of the seat.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
I did not have a good experience with the TD tapered bolts. My experience was that the seat is either aligned properly, or it isn't. If it isn't, then the tapered bolts can get started because of the taper but can then cross-thread because they're at an improper angle due to the seat being misaligned. (This is a separate problem from the washer/spacer dropping away, which I solved by attaching them permanently with silicon.) The best idea, really, is to leave the bolts out--the seat's not going anywhere without them--but if you're anal-compulsive like I am and must have everything where it's supposed to be, then figure out why the seat's not lining up properly and fix that.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
326 Posts
I did not have a good experience with the TD tapered bolts. My experience was that the seat is either aligned properly, or it isn't. If it isn't, then the tapered bolts can get started because of the taper but can then cross-thread because they're at an improper angle due to the seat being misaligned. (This is a separate problem from the washer/spacer dropping away, which I solved by attaching them permanently with silicon.) The best idea, really, is to leave the bolts out--the seat's not going anywhere without them--but if you're anal-compulsive like I am and must have everything where it's supposed to be, then figure out why the seat's not lining up properly and fix that.
I'm not sure I'm following. The Traxxion Dynamics Seat Bolts are not Tapered in any way. They exactly match the Factory shoulder bolt and washer. They are not anymore prone to cross threading? However, I do agree that the need for the bolts in the first place might not be all that necessary. I use them though.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following. The Traxxion Dynamics Seat Bolts are not Tapered in any way. They exactly match the Factory shoulder bolt and washer. They are not anymore prone to cross threading? However, I do agree that the need for the bolts in the first place might not be all that necessary. I use them though.
The ones I got were rounded at the tip to make it easier to get them started. That was four years ago, though.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The first ones TD made were tapered, then he switched to what is linked above.

·
Registered
Scarlett aka The Crimson Couch (2018 Tour DCT)
153 Posts
Every time I open a thread here, I see something else I need to buy. To be fair, not putting in the seat bolts makes sense as the seat is a snug fit and, if the seat flies off with my 265lb butt holding it down, I definitely have bigger problems.

·
Registered
2014 HD FLHTK Ultra Limited, 2003 Honda ST1300A
44 Posts
Body jewelry Earrings Creative arts Font Material property

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I saw it and thought maybe I had remembered incorrectly, but @Tonik confirms what I remember, that the inittial version of the bolts Max sold were tapered. There's a half-a$$ed quality to the engineering of the seat-mounting system.

Max puts out quality products, but IMO sometimes his solutions precede the problems they were intended to fix; and sometimes they over-complicate things. A dab of clear silicone solves the problem of losing those spacer-washers. The real problem getting the bolts in properly is the seat, and therefore the boltholes, not being properly lined up.

Reactions: JF11

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,619 Posts
My seat goes on easily and I've never had any issue with reinstalling the seat...the OEM bolts and washers work just fine.

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I have the Traxxion seat bolts........not a magic fix, but sure makes things much easier getting things back together.

Reactions: BrokenBackJack

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
When putting the seat on make sure the rear bottom portion of the seat slides in to the slot in the rear. Then visually with a flashlight line up the bolt holes then place the bolts on each side. Should be no problem

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had the seat off of my 2018 DCT to run a fused line to the top box and was putting on the seat when a friend stopped by. He volunteered to help! After a few attempts he ask if we could take the seat off so he could have a look at how it latched. He had a good look chased the threads of the bolt holes with a bolt. He then suggested rounding the start portion of the thread on the bolt. Since I have extra bolts I said have at it. He rounded the threads and much to my surprised both bolts installed without much effort. You can teach old dogs new tricks.
Bill
I use T handle Allen wrenches and insert the Allen wrench in the hole first to line up the holes then put the bolts in. Works amazingly.
I also JB welded the washer to the bolt so I never have to worry about loosing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts