GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
931 Posts
So here's my question: why do you... why do any of us... need seat bolts? Mine have been out for nearly 4000 miles, and I haven't had any issues. I'm on an off the bike all the time, catching my feet on the seat constantly (cuz I'm such a klutz) as I could never swing my leg over my driver's backrest. So I do the one foot hop-tee-doodle while trying to get my foot over the seat... and invariably drag it/catch it on the saddle. Again, no problems. The seat just sits there, like it always has. So why do I need seat bolts? Or the hassle of trying to deal with them?

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
So here's my question: why do you... why do any of us... need seat bolts? Mine have been out for nearly 4000 miles, and I haven't had any issues. I'm on an off the bike all the time, catching my feet on it constantly cuz I'm such a klutz and could never swing my leg over my driver's backrest. So I do the one foot hop-tee-doodle while trying to get my foot over the seat... and invariably drag it/catch it on the seat. Again, no problems. The seat just sits there, like it always has. So why do I need seat bolts?
IMO the bolts are there solely to keep the seat from being casually stolen.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,619 Posts
So here's my question: why do you... why do any of us... need seat bolts? Mine have been out for nearly 4000 miles, and I haven't had any issues. I'm on an off the bike all the time, catching my feet on it constantly cuz I'm such a klutz and could never swing my leg over my driver's backrest. So I do the one foot hop-tee-doodle while trying to get my foot over the seat... and invariably drag it/catch it on the seat. Again, no problems. The seat just sits there, like it always has. So why do I need seat bolts?
The seat is bolted to keep the seat in place and to prevent the seat from flying off the bike in a crash...if the seat didn't have bolts people would then be complaining about how could Honda be so stupid to not bolt the seat down...Honda can't win it seems.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The seat is bolted to keep the seat in place and to prevent the seat from flying off the bike in a crash...if the seat didn't have bolts people would then be complaining about how could Honda be so stupid to not bolt the seat down...Honda can't win it seems.

Bravo.... 👍

Reactions: ChrisMallett

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
931 Posts
Ha, it's been three months now since I left the seat bolts off the bike. Think I'll just leave them off. Nice to be able to pull the seat in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
629 Posts
By now, I got the hang of it GOOD. In and out, no problem. Yes, a pain for sure. I had mentioned that I Epoxied (J.B) the spacers to the seat. No issues at all. Still same OEM bolts.

·
Registered
347 Posts
To keep my $1400 Ultimate seat where I want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Also, by not using the seat bolts, you can take the seat off without having to open both saddlebag lid, remove both side covers, just to get the seat bolts out - to then take off the seat.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
I hear you. I've been spoiled by the FJR, which had a locking-but-externally-accessible lever that released its seat. The Gen6 seat is too difficult to remove. Although as @Kfadd1 points out in post #28, someone with an expensive, custom seat has reason to be concerned about its being too too-easily removable.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I know it's only a $1,000 seat, but I really don't want to make it easier to steal by leaving the bolts out. YMMV

Reactions: jryan19

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
931 Posts
OK, I'll bite. I've got to ask the question, it just begs to be dealt with. In my 55 years of riding, I've never heard of anybody having a seat stolen. OK, so I'm just one person with one opinion. How 'bout it guys? Ever hear of this actually happening? Not to question anybody's opinion here, but just curious.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts