GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good solution that: prevents keyfobs and other ringed items from marring the dash panel underneath the keyswitch??

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
My keyfob is velcroed in the trunk, than when I need it I get it out and Lock the trunk.
Hazle

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I keep mine in the left front pocket, it stays dri and avaliable to put in my pocket when necessary.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use a quick disconnect key chain. I keep the key on one half and the remote on the other. When the key is in the ignition, the remote is in my pocket. When I leave the bike, I connect them and put them back in my pocket. This has eliminated any scratches to the dash and has prevented me from locking both in the saddlebags.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I keep a soft fob on my key so it doesn't scratch and I have a cover for the remote (HDL) that I keep on my belt loop. I take the key out of the ignition and attach it to the remote on my belt loop. Works good.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Easy solution - take the junk off the key.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jcarney84 said:
I use a quick disconnect key chain. I keep the key on one half and the remote on the other. When the key is in the ignition, the remote is in my pocket. When I leave the bike, I connect them and put them back in my pocket. This has eliminated any scratches to the dash and has prevented me from locking both in the saddlebags.
I like your solution, sounds made to order. txs Terry

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
jcarney84 said:
DITTO!

This works great for me.

Sometimes I wish Honda would adopt Harley's ignition key setup.

Open Ignition cover
Insert key
Turn ignition on
Remove key (and put back in pocket)
Close Ignition cover
Ride.

I guess the problem is many of us would forget to turn the ignition switch back off at the end of the ride... :roll:

Maybe it is time for a Proximity key system...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I just stuck the soft velcro dot below the ignition key insert, and the other dot to the little battery access panel of the remote. Put the key in and stick the remote on the dot. No scratches.

Trev.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a guy on ebay advertising clear magnetic type film to adhere to the plastic to prevent marks on the plastic. I ordered one, but haven't had the chance to install it yet. It is cut to fit around and under the key area. I think it will do the trick, at least I'm going to try it. Cost about $5. Go to ebay motors/motorcycle parts/gl1800.

gary

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
:!: :!: Beware anything magnetic around that area of the bike.

You may ruin the key, GPS or other stuff.

Trev.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I don't think it's really "magnetic" - there's nothing metal to stick it too anyway.

Seems like a complicated solution to a simple problem though. Put nothing but the one key on the ring and the rest in your pocket. Simple.

·
Registered
164 Posts
OK I am going to get myself in real trouble here. :shock: Why bother with the key FOB? Does it take a lot more time to put the key in the trunk or lift up on the handle? Maybe I don't know what all the FOB does for us but I kind of thought it was a waste of good plastic. :lol:

Enlighten this old fart please.

Marc

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Q: Does the trunk key lock the panniers as well?

I have not even tried it yet.

My fob came on the key so it just stays there. I also use the spare key on its own some days.

Cheers,

Trev.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
lomax said:
OK I am going to get myself in real trouble here. :shock: Why bother with the key FOB? Does it take a lot more time to put the key in the trunk or lift up on the handle? Maybe I don't know what all the FOB does for us but I kind of thought it was a waste of good plastic. :lol:

Enlighten this old fart please.

Marc
If you don't have a FOB for your Goldwing how are you going to:

Frighten Women and Children from 50 feet away by pressing the Red "locate" button?

Impress your friends and family by demonstrating the remote trunk lid release?

Lock your keys and FOB in the trunk after demonstrating said remote trunk release?

:wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts