GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 1800 and above the front left hand speaker, the dash has started warping. I ask my honda service manager and he says its because of the tall tulsa windshield. He also said that the tented windshield was worse for magifying the sun. The jurys been out for a week to see if the esp covers warped dashes. I drive the bike every day and it does sit outside, but I'm picky of were I park it so I can protect it against sun damage. Has anyone else had any warping problem? Should the honda esp cover a part like that? Has any one had tulsa windshields magnify the sun?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
It happens. if you put a tee shirt over the windshield it will not happen.

·
Registered
384 Posts
This can occur with all windshields, not just the Tulsa, even the OEM windshield. We do recommend keeping a cover on the windshield when it is parked.

He is incorrect about the tint, it can occur with clear or tint and the sun reflecting off the back of the windshield is the issue, not magnification shining through the windshield, the one issue with magnification is the sun shining through the distorted area of the OEM that is created by the "bump" where the windshield is shaped to form to the dash, that was a real issue of the 1500, it created large "bumps" on the edge of the dash near the speakers that is the only area that can cause magnification.

The early 01's had an issue with distortion of the speedo and tach face plates the caused the gauges to stick, this occured with the sun shining direct onto the face of the instrument panel!!

Part of the determination of coverage will depend on the dealer and how they explain the damage and then I'm not sure about it with the esp

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have two Tulsa's. I have a tinted unvented regular that I use in the winter and a tinted sport shield that I use in the summer. Here in the Vallery of the Sun we get lot's of sun. Never had a problem with warping and I don't intend to. When I am going to leave my wing out in the sun for any extended time I always put my half cover on. I get lot's of comments from my riding friends but I don't need the sun baking my gages, dash, or my upholstery.
BTW, Tulsa makes a great product.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
a friend of mine had the tulsa tall and it warped the sh*t out of his dash, he talked to other tulsa owners that had the same problem.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
As others have stated, though the Tulsa angle increases the possibility,
any shield can cause the warping when the sun is from behind the bike
and at the right angle. I just make sure to always throw the shield
cover on my Tulsa if the bike is parked outside in position which
could make it vulnerable. Easy... quick... no worries.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have a warped dash in the same area, with the stock windshield. :cry:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Mostly people do what they want and testimonials do not mean much. However, I have had Tulsas on my 93, 01 and 04 Wings and have ridden over 400,000 miles behind them. To get the good ride they offer, I had to learn how to get on and off the bike, and to try not to park the bike pointing east or west. I have ruined one speaker grille out of all of that.

Some things are very worth while to me as a high mileage rider. Well somewhat high mileage, next to Dick Meyer who realy is a high mileage rider. He has about 280,000 on 1800s and I have 196,000. Anyway,

Tulsa Windshield
Tulsa Mirror Wings
Tulsa Foot sheilds
Dunlop E3 in 0.70 series
Tailwind Trailer
Texelent Bar mount with Garmin weather radar and XM model 378

These make a very good rig for long days in the saddle.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You can't cover your windshield while driving!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Even the GW's of high mileage riders spend less time on the road than they do parked. Cover it when it is parked for any amount of time if you do not want additional sun/weather damage. It only takes a few seconds and saves a lot of appearance problems down the road.
I can in no way be called a high mielage rider, but I ride to work almost every day and park in a lot with no protection. I cover the whole bike with a Nelson-Rigg cover. There are many covers out there that work great, are easy to use and pack small.
Even with the cover on the GW it gets hot underneath on a sunny day, but not near as hot as it does with out the cover. I avoid the problems with UV light, rain, dirt(bird droppings), etc. I have never had anything climb up under the cover but keep waiting for that to happen. :wink:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Art, you are right but fortunately the bike is usually not rigid in its orientation to the sun.

Green Dragon, right on! I usually park in the garage or under a tree. I do not like to subject the bike to the IR and UV.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had an aftermarket shield on one of my previous bikes. What I found was the edge of the shield was clear as opposed to opaque.

If you look at the stock shield the edge is burnished as to be opaque. My aftermarket one was clear. The sun, at the right angle, would make that edge do a magnifying glass type of thing and melt the plastic of the dash.

I just took a magic marker and "painted" the edge of the shield. That fixed it for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As far as the dash in general, no problems. However, I have had to
replace both speaker covers twice. I am getting ready to replace the
left one again.

Guess I will just order 2 or 3 sets from Hal this time :)

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Andy, not yet, but I wanted to be sure not to steer anyone to the 376, as the 378 makes a lot more sense.

I bought a set of front wheel bearings since I have passed 100K on the old ones. Just marking time till I change the tires. Waiting for the wear bars to show. Should be soon but will have to change before the next road trip. They are at 22,500 but in Honda miles that is 24,030 miles.

Best I have ever done on a rear tire, and as good as ever on the old Elite II front tire on the 1500. Seems they finally got it right. Now they will probably find the compound bothers the Hawaian crinkle cactus or something. :lol:

PS:

wk4bg8s

The frequency of damage makes me think that you park your bike in a similar place outside multiple times. The most common gremlin is having it pointing east in the afternoon where the low angle sun can reflect off the back side of the windshield. You may try parking it pointing east on a bright afternoon and then start watching for a very bright spot to appear on the speaker grills. If you see the bright spot and run your had along the grill into the bright spot briefly, it will tell you that there is concentrated sun's rays there which will be more than hot enough to melt plastic.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
The Sun can be treacherous on many plactics! It just so happens, that the Dash on these models are plastic and can be harmed by pro-long exposure. The best advice, keep a cover on as much as possible.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Solar energy varies with the angle of the sun but at noon it can be about 1-1/2 watts per squre inch. If you concentrate the rays off the windshield about the size of a dinner plate, that is about 75 square inches or 100 watts less the amount of energy that passes throught he windshield and not reflected by it. 25 watts concentrated to the size of a postabe stamp would be pretty hot.

A freind of mine set up a large solar collector temporarily by using a couple of 2 by 4 boards to hold the water pipe at the focal point. A short time later the boards were on fire.

We are lucky that our oceans are convex. It would be hard to fly over a concave ocean in the daytime. How about a large building the shape of a Tulsa Windshield and facing east. Instant sun tan. :crew:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts