GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to build a HF / Sears 20 Cu. Ft.cargo box trailer. Looking for a hitch that will handle it. Has anyone had any experience with DAUNTLESS hitchs and wiring set ups? All info pro or con is appreciated.
Thanks,
Road agent

·
Registered
855 Posts
my dauntless hitch is great and included wiring harness. it was designed by dauntless but now made overseas and imported by Add-on. it's plenty sturdy. it's not the only good hitch, though. some of the others have different designs. some bolt to the main frame which may be a little better. don't be too concerned about it. i don't think you can buy a hitch that will let ANY trailer fall off! buy what suits you. check the trailer forum at the bottom of the FORUMS menu on the home page. you'll find 100s of threads there about hitches (and of course everybody says theirs is the best!)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
It's not about loosing a trailer. It's about vertical stress that hitches subject the frame to. Hitches that do not bolt to the main frame with vertical supports use the sub frame for support, which is much weaker than the main frame. Every time your trailer hits a bump or bounces you have vertical stress on the frame.

Only three hitches that I know of provide vertical supports to the mainframe:

Hitch Doc

Bushtec

Rivco

I have the Hitch Doc and am well pleased, but any of the above three hitches are good quality products. I would never use a hitch that uses the subframe for support. You will have many people tell you that they have used the cheaper hitches without a problem and I'm sure that's true, but for my money I use the best. Just my career training, as I always err on the side of caution. Good luck with your decision and happy trailering. Trailers do add a new dimension to motorcycling. JMHO

Fred

07 Blue Wing/Mini-Mate camper

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I've been using the Dauntless Hitch for 2 yrs and it has served me well! I sometimes pull a trailer and sometimes a hitch rack. I also am using the isolater from EC.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm in my 4th year pulling trailers with a Dauntless hitch and an EC isolator. It's working well for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts