GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have a set of Dauntless trailer hitch installation instructions I could "borrow"? Maybe scan and email a copy to me? I bought one of the hitches off eBay, sans instructions .... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the web site

Yea, I tried looking all over the Dauntless web site, but could not find where they posted the installation instructions -- did I miss something?:shrug:

·
Registered
602 Posts
How "Strong" would you rate the Dauntless, as-compared to the Bushtec -or- Rivco ??????

I've been considering getting a packit-rak for a rear carrier &/or flag mount & don't think I'd be interested in a trailer. I'm fairly new to wings & hadn't heard of the Dauntless...... The install looks pretty stinkin simple !

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't speak for the other brands, but the Dauntless hitch I have seems to be rock solid. I made my own Pak-it Rak and use a cooler on it for weekend trips and have had no problems. I have a home built trailer that has been towed for about 5000 miles with it. While that doesn't seem like much, I recently put a new rear tire on my bike and went to remove the center section of the hitch and everything was still tight as new.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Jeff, they are different. I looked at your pic and the Dauntless hitch reciever plate is larger and there seems to be more mounting hardware. Also the AddOn has a max hitch weight of 30lbs and the Dauntless is 50lbs. They seem to mount the same way, but with different materials.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I rec'd my Dauntless Hitch via UPS while ago - hope to tackle the install tomorrow while the wx-man calls for more rain & cold to move back in. Any tips/suggestions re; the install would be appreciated !

Thanks - Dave / Silver '09 Wing / Missouri

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I've got the Dauntless hitch and it's been on the Wing for 3 years with nary a problem. I tow either a KK or an Escapade or have a cooler rack. I've been totally pleased with it.

I have the instructions if anyone would need a PDF copy.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I installed the Dauntless & was very pleased w/the install & the strength of the components. I ordered it out w/the rack; a spare receiver (to mount a flag holder onto) & did the install by myself in 3-4 hrs. If I had to do another - I could do it in 60-90 min. I think !

For me - I would do better w/more pictures & less text - as far as the installation sheet. Also, I was hoping Dauntless had uploaded to You Tube -or- something similar, a video of the install.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Here's the story. Dauntless designed their hitch. Somebody stole the design and started to manufacture it overseas at a price that dauntless can't compete with. Dauntless now sells that hitch since it's just as profitable to retail it as to manufacture it. Weird how that works, huh? The boxes and instructions all say Add-On. Dauntless is only 20 miles from me so I picked mine right off the shelf. I installed it yesterday. Install was staightforward but had some problem with attaching the "H" shaped bracket that holds the receiver. It was a little too wide. Had to don my McGuiver hat to get it on. Made getting the rear license panel tough to get back on, too. I can't imagine any hitch being more sturdy than this. I'm very satisfied with it. It's pretty obvious that the weight ratings are way below what this hitch could actually handle. I'll be doing the wiring today since it's not going to RAIN - YIPPEE !!!!! :thumbup: If you have any questions you can call me at 253-208-5893 this weekend because it's all still fresh in my mind (but that won't last long!! :roll: )

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's the story. Dauntless designed their hitch. Somebody stole the design and started to manufacture it overseas at a price that dauntless can't compete with. Dauntless now sells that hitch since it's just as profitable to retail it as to manufacture it. Weird how that works, huh? The boxes and instructions all say Add-On. Dauntless is only 20 miles from me so I picked mine right off the shelf. I installed it yesterday. Install was staightforward but had some problem with attaching the "H" shaped bracket that holds the receiver. It was a little too wide. Had to don my McGuiver hat to get it on. Made getting the rear license panel tough to get back on, too. I can't imagine any hitch being more sturdy than this. I'm very satisfied with it. It's pretty obvious that the weight ratings are way below what this hitch could actually handle. I'll be doing the wiring today since it's not going to RAIN - YIPPEE !!!!! :thumbup: If you have any questions you can call me at 253-208-5893 this weekend because it's all still fresh in my mind (but that won't last long!! :roll: )
You are correct. I called Dauntless and they told me the same thing. Add-on makes them now. I also had an issue with the "H" frame. Had to force it apart to get the bolts in. Then the center panel wouldn't fit back on. I called them and they had one of their old design center plate. They sent it to me and it went together fine.

Seems Dauntless can't compete with the Add-on unit but there is something to say about the quality of the Add-on unit. I like the Dauntless center panel better.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You are correct. I called Dauntless and they told me the same thing. Add-on makes them now. I also had an issue with the "H" frame. Had to force it apart to get the bolts in. Then the center panel wouldn't fit back on. I called them and they had one of their old design center plate. They sent it to me and it went together fine.

Seems Dauntless can't compete with the Add-on unit but there is something to say about the quality of the Add-on unit. I like the Dauntless center panel better.
I had to force my H frame apart, too, so after reading what you said I called Add-on and talked to Al Walker who said he's never heard of such a thing. He gave me measurements from one he had in stock and it was 10 1/8th wide overall and the holes were 9 1/2 center to center. Exactly what mine measures. Didn't want to get in a p***ing match with this guy over the phone but - HEY, DUDE! IT'S TOO WIDE !!!! What magical words did you use to convince them to send you one that's about 1/4+ inch narrower ? I know it's too wide because I have the same center panel fitment problem

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had to force my H frame apart, too, so after reading what you said I called Add-on and talked to Al Walker who said he's never heard of such a thing. He gave me measurements from one he had in stock and it was 10 1/8th wide overall and the holes were 9 1/2 center to center. Exactly what mine measures. Didn't want to get in a p***ing match with this guy over the phone but - HEY, DUDE! IT'S TOO WIDE !!!! What magical words did you use to convince them to send you one that's about 1/4+ inch narrower ? I know it's too wide because I have the same center panel fitment problem
I just gave him a call and explained what I had problems with. At that time, the website showed the old style plate. He was very understanding and sent me one of the old style plates. It's a plate versus the "H" frame. That fixed my problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts