GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order a Russell Day-Long seat covered in leather. Here is my only hold back right now. I have a Utopia removable backrest on the stock seat and really like it. I can't decide if I want to just have it redone or go ahead and get their backrest. Any one ridden with both or theirs and have any comments?

Panther Ga.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know, but let me know what you decide. I was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If you're happy with what you have, why are you considering a change to an unknown entity? Have your seat made to accommodate your current backrest and see how you like it on your new seat. If you like it-GREAT! If you don't, you can order the Russell then, I would assume.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Panther, I also have the day long seat. I took my Utopia backrest & installed it on the day long. It installs the same way it does on the stocker. Looks good & feels great.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I bought my Russell Day-Long using the ride-in option. They built the new seat with leather seat panels and re-used the Utopia back rest. Tested it out on Bun Burner 1500 and I am very satisfied. The Utopia back rest and the stock passenger back rest were not re-covered and all matches very well. I think the Utopia back rest looks nicer and better integrated than the stock Russell back rest system.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the comments guys. Jim and JW do you have any pictures of your seats, could you email me some? I talked to Russell today and they said they could work with the removal Utopia. The main thing was I just didn't like the cut out they have to put in the back of the seat for their backrest. I had them fax me a cut sheet which had more detail than I could tell in the pictures I have seen. Well I have decided to have them recover the Utopia and the passanger backrest with leather so it will all be the same. As soon as I get it back and on the bike I'll post some pictures.

Thanks

Panther

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a Mayer Day Long on my BMW R65, Russell Day Long on my BMW KLT and a Diamond on my 1500 Wing and really liked all of them. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them. Now I have to decide what I want for my '03 1800 - decisions, decisions :roll: I'll probably go with the Diamond since they are made here in FL and I can ride over to pick it up.

.. Sue

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks Sue

I'm leaning toward the diamond because for about the same price russell builds the new seat on your old seat pan. Shipping and all, it would be nice to keep the old seat. We'll see if any one has something to add.

steve

·
Registered
191 Posts
That was another reason why I went to Diamond when I bought the '89 Wing, I could keep the original seat. When I bought the '99 Aspencade, I just put the original seat back on the '89 before I sold it and put the Diamond on the new one. The vinyl on the sides of the seats were different colors, but all I had to do was send the seat back to Diamond and have it recovered to match the new bike. I used the seat that came with the bike while the Diamond was being recovered. I have a friend that has had his Diamond on four different bikes. They all were red so he didn't even have to have it recovered. There's over 100,000 miles on that seat!

.. Sue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts