GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to be in Las Vegas Feb 19 - 24, 2007. Not going for the gambling, want to see God's country. Would appreciate any info on day trips, temperatures, etc.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
There are a couple guys here who live in LV. One of them is LVWOLFMAN. PM him and ask the question.

From what I've seen of the Vegas area I would suggest Boulder Dam (some people call it Hoover Dam but we know what its real name is :wink: ). You will be stopped by security but they usually don't inspect bikes.

Ride south of the dam through the canyons 25 or so miles. Several vista points worth stopping at.

Lake Mead is also pretty and is on the way to the dam.

If you are into longer trips out of town I'd suggest Grand Canyon and/or Bryce Canyon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was in Vegas in August(very hot) on business. I drove out to Red Rock Canyon west of town. Once you get out of the city it is a nice drive and good sceneary.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My favorite rides are (in no particular order)

Valley of Fire
Red Rock Canyon
Mount Charleston
Lake Mead
Hoover Dam

These places are well known and the routes easy to find for out-of-towners.

There's a route you can take where you go to Lake Mead from Las Vegas via the northern end of the city. After cruising around the lake you find yourself in Henderson or Boulder City (depending on your route) at the Southern end of the valley. Lots of twisties and some nice sweepers. Be careful though, the park rangers have no sense of humor when it comes to speeding, ESPECIALLY if you're on a bike.

As LT said, the ride to the dam is very nice on both sides. BTW, if you get a chance to go through Boulder City, don't take the cutoff to the lake that misses the city... the historic/downtown part of Boulder City is very nice.

The dam is my ride when I just want to go someone and not be gone all day.

Probably my favorite ride is to the dam, then across and south on 94 to Dolan Springs, AZ (actually to a little bar/restaurant on 93) where I'll buy some Powerball tickets. Then continue south on 93 to 68 where I head west to Laughlin, NV. Continue on to 95 north to Searchlight, NV and then west on Nipton Road (164) to Nipton, CA where I stop at the Whistle Stop Oasis for a bit to eat and California lottery tickets. Then west some more on 164 til I get to I-15 and then it's super slab back home.

Nipton is a very nice little ex-Railroad town. Total population is about 50 I think (that may be pushing it.) Nipton road itself is surrounded by Joshua Trees. Check out www.nipton.com

Total mileage from Henderson (the south end of the Vegas valley where I live) is about 270 miles.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Valley of fire is cool, death valley, Lake Havisu

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I was in Vegas in early April 2005 and rented a bike from Escape Eagles for a ride out to Death Valley to see the wildflowers. I was just a little late for those at Badwater (still there, but past peak), but those in the passes were very nice.

You can see the pics in my gallery at:
http://davet.smugmug.com/gallery/1684356

Was in Vegas at the end of January this year and took a car drive (a friend was with me) out to Boulder Dam to see how the bridge work is coming along (awesome construction) then up to the Valley of Fire (very nice). I'm going to be out there for New Years Eve this year for a few days and, if the wx cooperates, may rent a bike for a day of rding once again. Would like to see how the bridge construction is progressing.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Dave, give me a yell and we can get together. Tim

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
wingnutzz said:
Would like to see how the bridge construction is progressing.
Kinda slow after all four cranes toppled over in a high wind.

The guys working way up there have really got balls of brass!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. The photos you took of Death Valley are great.

Escape Rentals is one of the outfits on my to call list. How far ahead did you call to reserve?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Bryce canyon and glen canyon are a must but you cant go wrong any place in south Utah .check with national parks Utah im sure you can get pic. and info or national park service U.S. Department of the Interior.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts