GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Shuttle program is coming to an end. I attended a seminar @ Disney several yrs ago & played hookey 1 day, standing on the roof of the Contemporary Resort w/a buncha other hookey-ites, hoping to see a launch scheduled that day. We stood for hours, thru delay after delay & of course the shuttle launched 2 days later, as we on the road, halfway back to Missouri.

I've always wanted to "experience" a shuttle launch. I've taken my midgets to the Space Ctr when they were small fries - even overflown Kennedy (pre 9-1-1) w/permission as Kennedy airspace was "cold" as I flew a plane home to MO from Miami.

I wanna see a launch before this program goes bye-bye. I don't have a launch schedule, but know it's readily available online.

Bottom line........ would there be anybody else in the midwest wanting to see a shuttle launch bad enuf to trek down there, caravan-style, on our wings ??????

I have a friend that lives in Winter Park....... she watches the launch on TV & then runs out to her backyard to watch it ascend. After all these years - she can't get enuf of these !!!!! She says the nite launches are nothing short of breathtaking.... I'm sure.

I'm gonna make some time & go see a launch; turn around & come back home........ anybody interested in going ??????

adios - Dave / Silver '09 / Missouri

·
Registered
123 Posts
I stayed in Florida after Bike Week last year to watch a night launch. Unfortunately the shuttle disappeared into the clouds seconds after clearing the tower. I've always wanted to get a good look at a launch. Please post if your proposed ride "gets off the ground". I'd be interested in joining up. I live in New York.

·
Registered
791 Posts
This is from 135 nautical miles away in North Port, Florida for the March 15, 2009 launch. Amazing!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I lived in Orlando, I would have morning coffee on the patio by the pool. Whenever a shuttle mission would launch, you could feel the ground tremble and watch the water in the pool shimmer then look up and watch the shuttle reach for the heavens. Night mission launches were unbelievable.

During one night launch, I decided to go to the coast a get a more upfront view of the launch. Beyond words. The orange - peach color of the rocket motor flames turning the sky the same color when sneaking through some light cloud cover, the roar of the engines. I am glad that I bucked the tourists and took the drive.

My recommendation to you is, go for it. Something you will always remember!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Last year I attended a FLSTOC event that included a trip to Titusville for a dinner and Night launch. It was INCREDIBLE!, something I will remember as long as my cheese stays on my cracker.

If you get the chance, I highly recomend witnessing a shuttle Launch
Close up.....we were about 6 miles away across the bay.
An unobstructed view and a viseral experience.

..................................Don

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I have a friend that lives in Winter Park....... she watches the launch on TV & then runs out to her backyard to watch it ascend. After all these years - she can't get enuf of these !!!!! She says the nite launches are nothing short of breathtaking.... I'm sure.
I watched the last one, sitting on my front porch in Largo. It was all the way across the state, but as your friend says, it's breathtaking. If you have a chance to see a launch, it's a must do...

I was sort of cynical about it, until I actually saw one..., WOW! :eek:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The best view I found was east of the launch site in the Atlantic Ocean. Before 9/11 we could get really close and it was a great seat for the launch. Now they petrol the area and keep boaters over 5 miles away so might as well watch from across the Indian River in Titusville.

·
Love The DCT
11,797 Posts
When I lived in Orlando, I would have morning coffee on the patio by the pool. Whenever a shuttle mission would launch, you could feel the ground tremble and watch the water in the pool shimmer then look up and watch the shuttle reach for the heavens. Night mission launches were unbelievable.

During one night launch, I decided to go to the coast a get a more upfront view of the launch. Beyond words. The orange - peach color of the rocket motor flames turning the sky the same color when sneaking through some light cloud cover, the roar of the engines. I am glad that I bucked the tourists and took the drive.

My recommendation to you is, go for it. Something you will always remember!
I've been in Orlando for two shuttle launches and have never felt the ground tremble when the shuttle was launched.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I wanna go. Let me know, and I'll see if it can happen.

·
Registered
369 Posts
one is going up on june the 13th. tickets went on sale yesterday. max :twisted:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tickets ? We don't need no stinkin tickets !

uh - do we ???????

Alabama Wing - you got some great shots........ I suppose you got a ticket to be that close ??????? What's the fee for a ticket ? Are they available online; etc., etc., etc........ What kinda traffic chaos is to be expected - before & after launch - if you cross over onto the Kennedy complex ?????

I would hope to rely on "locals" to advise some good viewing spots (probably miles away) where you could view, gratis.

Parking Lots; Golf Courses; airports (big open areas) -

Thanks - Dave

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Everyone needs to experience a launch just one time. The closer the better. The sound is incredible and the feeling of pride, amazing.

Prior to 9/11, I got to the press site a half dozen times or more and shot a number of launches from the air, just west of the Banana River. Since 9/11, all the airspace is closed and getting to the press site is much more restricted.

If you can't get to the LCC like Alabama Wing did, this site will give you some additional ideas: http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing.html

Make the effort. It's worth it!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Shuttle Launch

Never got to see one from the ground but did see one from 35000 feet as we went by.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Could even see sthe last launch from Naples which is 260 miles away. It is still low on the horrison when the 1st stage separates, but difficult to immagine that one could see the launch from so far away.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Alabama Wing - you got some great shots........ I suppose you got a ticket to be that close ???????
No way to get tickets to be that close! You have to either know someone, work for NASA or one of the contractors. Since Bruce lives in Huntsville, my guess is that he has CONNECTIONS!!!

Great shots Bruce. Don't know how many times you've been there, especially that close, but is is an amazing experience isn't it. The pounding in your chest is a feeling you will never forget.

Here's a pretty cool video shot from the press site. If your computer has good speakers, crank it up! But not too loud....:wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have worked at NASA for 21 years.. and still have not gotten the chance to go see a launch.. we are always training the Astronauts for their ride on the shuttle and their time on station.. currently work in the SSTF (Space Station Training Fac.) but love the job.. Was a motion Pilot.. (the shuttle motion base) where they do their ascent and landing training.. was the best part of working here other than being in the movie Space Cowboys.. (bar scene next to the one named Tiny.. and first patron out the door when the fight carried out to the parking lot.. big beard and bald head)..

Otters.. aka Fluffy:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No way to get tickets to be that close! You have to either know someone, work for NASA or one of the contractors. Since Bruce lives in Huntsville, my guess is that he has CONNECTIONS!!!

Great shots Bruce. Don't know how many times you've been there, especially that close, but is is an amazing experience isn't it. The pounding in your chest is a feeling you will never forget.

Here's a pretty cool video shot from the press site. If your computer has good speakers, crank it up! But not too loud....:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsRuJ37kyZg
Bruce works for NASA and they are some great pictures.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Bruce works for NASA and they are some great pictures.
Like I said....getting to the LCC, Press Site or anywhere east of the NASA Causeway requires special clearance on launch day. Working for NASA helps! :lol:

Maybe we could talk Digger into getting a getting a group of us special access and convoy down for a launch.

Digger, if you read this...any thoughts or suggestions how to make this happen?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Like I said....getting to the LCC, Press Site or anywhere east of the NASA Causeway requires special clearance on launch day. Working for NASA helps! :lol:

Maybe we could talk Digger into getting a getting a group of us special access and convoy down for a launch.

Digger, if you read this...any thoughts or suggestions how to make this happen?
It also helps that he is a little high up on the ladder at NASA. He didn't take me and I ride with him. Hmmm makes me wonder!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts