GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone riding from B.C. or Washington State to Daytona Bike Week?
I am interested in meeting up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Bikeweek

I am a Florida native and still live here and I can honestly tell you that I quit going to Bikeweek sometime around 1989. It just got too crowded with too many Rich Urban Bikers and their loud Harleys. Everything now at Bikeweek and Biketoberfest is all about Harleys or those nothing but frame, engine and wheels custom bikes. Not fun anymore. And did I mention all the idiots driving all around there, cagers and bike alike.

S

·
0 Posts
Hey PB are you riding all the way, and if so what route are you planning on ? With the Winter this year, I'm pretty sure your gonna hit a fair bit of snow that early . :roll:

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advise Defiant077.
This is similar to other comments I have received concerning this event.
We did attend "100 Years of Motorcycling" in Rosealia Washington last August 19/20th.
That was a VERY good bike show. Comprised of many different motorcycle makes, models, & customs builds.
It was inexpensive to stay in nearby Spokane (50 kms).
Definitely lacking the R.U.B. crowd, the "look at me crowd" and the nerd crowd.
Most importantly definitely worth a return visit this year.
"[email protected]"

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bikeweek is still a good time...but it's not for everybody (as you can tell).

All brands are there and there are plenty of things to do. I go every year for both events. I live in St. Petersburg, FL. and own a condo in Daytona.

JMO!

·
Registered
578 Posts
wingnit said:
Bikeweek is still a good time...but it's not for everybody (as you can tell).

All brands are there and there are plenty of things to do. I go every year for both events. I live in St. Petersburg, FL. and own a condo in Daytona.

JMO!

As WINGNIT said; BIKE WEEK has something for everyone.

On March 2, I will leave for my 10th consecutive ride to Daytona.

If you don't want to mingle with Harleys there are plenty of non-Harley displays and activities. The Speedway is a great place to spend @ least a day or two enjoying products and displays by all the manufacturers.

On the other hand, if it wasn't for Harley enthusiasts there wouldn't be any good T-SHIRTS to buy.

Sunshine Mall & New Smyrna Airport are just a couple of the non-Harley areas.

Hey, if you don't like COLE SLAW WRESTLING...Don't go.

Personally, I enjoy looking @ custom bikes. I love my Honda, but they do all pretty much look alike.

If you've never been to BIKE WEEK do it @ least once or ten times.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have made the ride to Bike week the last three years from Pennsylvania each year having a few extra days to play the bad weather game. If this is your first year for Daytona I would highly reccommend it!

There are hundreds of different things to view. The new bikes from every dealer. The racing(all types) can be exciting. Each year we try a different ride from Daytona with last year riding to the Everglades and Key West.

The last year I camped in the ABATE campground costing only $10 a night. Bring your ear plugs but lots of Wings camp there.

Make your on judgement about the Harley stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I rode down last year for the first time and there is lots to do. New bikes, vendors of all types and the races, lots of fun. I plan on leaving March 7 and returing the 11th from Atlanta area. Riding down with several other bikes all types, I have the only wing. I would like to hookup with some other wingers and board members, everyone welcome to join in on ride and/or get together in Daytona.

·
Registered
746 Posts
As Defiant077 opined, some are disallusioned with Bikeweek....so be it.

I have a differring opinion, Bikeweek is what you make of it.

Sure, if you are into the HD thing there is plenty there for you (No offense, just ain't My thing), from custom shows to saloons, and there are SO Many other things to do and see whether you are of the HD Mystique or not.

Certainly a day at the Track is well spent, don't forget the races there!

A lot of the HD goings on has been shifted out of downtown to the new Harley Palace out by Interstate 95...make of that what you will.

On the South East end of town along US1 is the Sunshine Mall where Goldwings and Valkyries and the like tend to gather...lots of vendors lots of old friends to see and new friends to meet.

Further South on US1 at New Smyrna Airport is the Goldwinger's rally,
Activities, vendors, and more friends.

Whether you are HD or not, Main Street on Daytona Beach is still an awesome sight, and the shows at the convention center on the beach are great, and do the 'Loop" its a nice scenic ride.

Be very careful...with thousands of Bikers and thousands more wannabees, and the lookers in cages, traffic can be slow and will be congested, but what the Hey, relax and enjoy, chill a little and go with the flow....enjoy yourself....that's what we're about!

Washington...come on down! Michigan bring it on! B.C. we got warm places waiting for you.

If Ya sees a '05 Black Cherry Wing with Dragons on the bags....be sure to say Hi!

See Ya There!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts