GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4:30 A.M. Got some time to kill before I head out for my 7th annual ride to Daytona Bike Week. It's a cool 41 degrees in Tucson this morning. Temp will drop by several degrees when the sun comes up and I head south a couple of dozen miles to pick up I-10 eastbound.

This is my 5th time doing this ride solo. I like the days better solo, but I rather have company in the evening for dinner and cocktails. Overall, I prefer to go to this one alone since I'll spend a few days in the Southern part of Florida visiting with my Dad. He'll be 89 this summer.

I didn't even bother washing the Gl1800 and uni-go trailer this year. Just wiped it down with a damp towel. The dirt road where I live on the east side of Tucson is still muddy and a thorough washing would be defeated in the half mile it takes to get to the asphalt.

It's hard to get lost riding to Daytona from Tucson. Get on I-10 and don't stop until I get to the ocean. About 2000 miles. The weather channel promises that I'll be in front of and behind all the storms. It doesn't matter, though. I learned a long time ago that if you don't ride in the rain you don't get where your going. I do stop for ice and snow. I'm actually ready to leave right now, but I've learned that it's better to wait for the sun. I learned this the hard way a couple of years ago when I learned what "Bridges freeze first" signs mean. Not a comforting feeling to hit ice . Luckily I was over the bridge @ Texas Canyon before I had time to react.

The first two times I did Daytona I rode an 89 Harley FLT. The next three times on my 98 FLTR. This is the second time on the Wing and the second time pulling the trailer. I sure can take a lot if unneccesary stuff with all that storage capacity and riding alone. I'll average about 500 miles per day.

I already printed out Hal's coupon for a free oil filter that I'll get when I visit his tent @ the Sunshine Mall. Then I'll walk across the street and shoot the s--t with John Lazzaroni @ his J&M tent located in the parking lot lot of the Honda shop across the street. Lucky for us that J&M is located in Tucson. A short ride to the New Smyrna Airport and a visit to the GWRRA set up which is located adjacent to the airport. After that I will head back to Daytona proper and try to find a parking space for the 1800 and trailer close to Harley Davidson of Daytona. I could spend days around there looking @ all the displays and custom bikes, not to mention the vast array of commerative shirts and ride pins.

Then due South a couple of hundred miles to Dad's house. It's slower going on Rte 1, but more interesting than I-95.

When it's all said and done the Wing will be 5,000 miles older and I'll have a few tales to tell the guys back in Tucson. Most of my tales seem to revolve around unusual debris that I didn't hit in the roadway. Last year I narrowly missed a jumbo wooden reel of cable that had fallen off a flatbed truck.

Well, I better wake up Susie, my bride of 20 years, and give her a hug and kiss goodbye. I check-in every night and give her a rundown on what I saw and what I ate.

Life is good.

Ed

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ed,

Have a good, safe trip. If you need a place to wash the bike when you get to town, drop me a line...

I will be riding from FL to New Mexico this fall, so check out I-10 for me.

Michael

1 - 2 of 2 Posts