GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered the Daytona Carbon Fiber Slim Line Half Helmet to replace my 9 year old Daytona Half Helmet of the old design. Right out of the box it was evident Daytona had made some serious improvements to the Function and Style of the Slim Line model.

The new adjustable / quick release chin strap latch alone is a justifiable reason to replace your existing helmet. Using just one hand while in motion on the bike you can tighten or loosen the tension on the chin strap. A light tug on the release tab and the latch uncouples effortlessly.

My old Daytona Helmet always felt like it sat on top of my head. The Slim Line design sits much lower and seems to hug my head on the sides all the way around.* For some reason wearing a head wrap under my old Daytona Helmet was always a bit uncomfortable. With the Slim Line it's no problem at all.

The interior liner on the Slim Line helmet has been upgraded. The chin strap material is improved (softer) and where the straps are now attached to the helmet eliminates any tendency for the helmet to want to roll back on your head.

The shape and contour of the Slim Line is a big visual improvement. Viewed side by side on a table, my new Slim Line appears to be ever so slightly larger. However, put it on your head and the visual illusion is that it's much smaller. The lower profile and new contoured shape in the back combine to produce the smaller visual.

My old helmet is a Large so I ordered Large in the new Slim Line despite my head measuring 23-1/4 inches placing it in the very bottom end of an Extra Large according to the sizing chart. I had read other reviews saying a snug helmet would break-in and mine has done the same after 5-10 hours of wear.

Is the added cost of the Carbon Fiber compared to the standard* and much less expensive Daytona Slim Line worth it ??* *IMO not unless you just want the look of Carbon Fiber. Daytona specs say the Carbon Fiber is 20% lighter than their standard shell. Quite honestly both helmets are so light you can't tell a difference in weight without a scale.

If you are considering a minimalist looking Half Helmet that stays put, is comfortable, is light weight and DOT approved I highly recommend the Daytona Slim Line !!!

https://www.daytonahelmets.com/d.o.t.-approved-12-shell-helmets

·
Registered
25 Posts
whoa - you pay quite a premium for the carbon fiber! good lookin' lids though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used several half helmets over the years:

NexL: Went out of business about 10 years ago when the owner passed. Was probably the lightest smallest DOT helmet at that time.

Skid Lid: Too round for my head to fit well, tended to move around a lot in the wind.

Daytona Helmet Original: Small physical size, easy to stow but did not fit securely to my head.

Bell Pit Boss: Comfortable fit, big helmet shell to accommodate the flip down visor, visor mechanism has cracked and now does not function.

Daytona Helmet Slim Line: First Half Helmet I've worn that hugs my head, stays put, is comfortable and looks smallish on my head. Available in smaller sizes compared to other brands which was important to my girlfriend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts