GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what would you advise

Dear Forum

I have been enjoying the last 10 months of my newly owned 2018 DCT airbag and to be honest, it was a pleasant experience and did enjoy every mile on it

An unfortunate event happened last month while taking a long trip away from home and my DCT was crashed due to a drunk Cab driver clipped me while changing lanes from left to right to take a piss!! Thankfully, I was not injured. Just minor scratches even though I was not wearing full gear (lesson learned here). However, my bike was not so fortunate.

My case now is in court because of his insurance issues and other legal pursue .

to make long story somehow short. What would you advise I do:

1-fix it and do an upgrade and ride it again.

2- fix it and get rid of it by selling it back home

I stripped down the bike at the dealer to find every minor cracks. scratches and test main components. The bike had no damage to engine, gear, no oil spell, gas leak, or water cooling liquid, all electrical wiring working properly, cooling fans not damages. All damages are fixable according to dealer except for one that wont affect the ridding as he says * see last point

the cost of fixing it around 5000 to 6000 USD

Thanks All

Mike G.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You first have to have your insurance claim verified by your insurance company and, imho, they will "total loss" the M/c (to expensive to repair parts & labor). TIME to repair that M/C could be very long waiting for parts. Anytime repair goes down to frame work it will not be good.

Then what will the settlement be Book value? You have to go by steps in order to see what your next decision will be.

ADVICE: Have a (Motorcycle knowledgeable attorney)!!!!!!!!!!!!! on your side because of circumstances you stated it could be a very sticky event if your are not careful.!!!!!!!!!!!

Very sorry you had that happen to you and hope you get the outcome you need. Ride Safe!!!!! They are STILL out there!!!!!

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
YOU SAY FIXABLE ….. EXCEPT !!! NEWER BIKE WITH INSURANCE HAVE IT FIXED "RIGHT" OR TOTAL N GET NEW ONE ! GLAD YOUR OK ! GOOD LUCK ! HAPPENS QUICK :serious::frown2:

Reactions: biglefti

·
Chard Member
13,056 Posts
$6k won’t touch repairing what I see! I’d demand the frame be replaced if something is cracked or broken.

If it happened a month ago how can anything be “tied up in court”? I’ve never seen the court system work that quick in the U.S.

What country are you in? Did you have it insured?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That bike will NEVER be fixed for $6K........NEVER.

As mentioned, claim it on your insurance and then have them go after the other insurance company......you should not have to deal with that.
I had an headon accident with my ZR2 pickup and that's what I did (other driver entering freeway on exit ramp!)......that way you get it settled so much quicker with less headache.

Demand everything is fixed, including the broken frame piece.......that way it will be totaled and you won't have to deal with a repaired bike.
Also, if repaired, resale on the bike is horrid. Nobody wants a repaired motorcycle after an unknown accident.

Good luck......sorry to hear of your accident.
I have the exact same bike, hurts looking at those pictures...... :surprise:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You all right, I got my self an expert attorney in motorcycles accidents. Things got complicated since the driver is charged with criminal charges and his insurance was void for many reasons. part of it, his driver license was suspended at the time of the accident. Now the attorney advised not try to make the insurance write off the motorcycle since the bike is not 2019 model. This way I would loose prob up to 20 or 25 % of what I actually paid. He suggested to try and keep the machine and sue for damages, losses, etc. This way it would be worth more for me.

That is why I need suggestion in case i decide to keep it and fix it and then wait for the court to get my money back

·
Registered
799 Posts
Your Item 11 is frame damage. Your insurance company ought to "total" the bike (i.e. deem the cost of repairs to exceed the value of the bike.) Work hard with your insurance company to pay you out on that bike and replace it with another one.

I just went through a similar issue with my '14 BMW R1200RT, which had an electrical fire. The insurance company (in Canada) paid me the full retail asking price the dealer would have priced the RT on the used bike floor, plus they paid me the 5-percent sales tax the buyer would have paid, plus they paid me THE FULL RETAIL PRICE for all my accessories (I had all receipts and an insurance 'rider' for accessories.)

Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
414 Posts
If he has no insurance you will be lucky to get your money back. Depends on the state, here in Ohio if you are uninsured you have to pay it back on payments and they suspend your license until you do, except for work.

If he pays, it will take forever to get it. My gut tells me he has nothing since he has no license, no insurance and other criminal issues. You are trying to get blood from a turnip.

Not going to be fun with your insurance, but you really need to go that route. You may get lucky, I totaled one a few years ago. Paid 3k for it, insurance gave me 4800.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Glad you're OK. Listen to your attorney. Laws vary from state to state. This guy has no insurance and probably no net worth. If he has nothing, you get nothing. Let the attorney and your insurance company work it out.

I am thinking that maybe there is hidden damage to the frame or other parts of the bike that will not come to light until repairs are started.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Unfortunately this happened outside the states, without mentioning the place not make an argument or debates in this forum. So fixing it is inevitable I believe , then bring it back home either to re sell as damaged and fixed or keep using it and make total upgrade.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Did the dealer do any NDI (non destructive inspection) , Magnaflux, eddy current on the assembly; if not, then exactly how does he or anyone else know if there is major frame damage to the main frame, yoke assembly of stem? Of course the bike has to be disassembled to do these inspections but if they are not done then my position would be there is major frame damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
The bike should be totaled. Your uninsured motorist should cover your direct motorcycle loss, almost. If the main steering stem housing is damaged it is nearly certain the frame has been tweaked.

Inquiring minds and all that rot; did the air bag deploy and help you avoid more serious injury?

prs

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
then bring it back home either to re sell as damaged and fixed or keep using it and make total upgrade.
What do you mean by "total upgrade ???"

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Glad you're OK-ish. Broke bike means you're probably not 100% OK with the situation. No matter your decision, I hope you get back out on the road soon!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
After court order, full inspection was taken place and Honda expert from local dealer disassembled almost 60 % of the bike looking for smallest scratch, the report came surprisingly detailed as the report included missing and hidden pins that was damaged before the accident when installed an accessory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
then bring it back home either to re sell as damaged and fixed or keep using it and make total upgrade.
What do you mean by "total upgrade ???"
Investing more in the bike, many things I could do and since the bike is openned up already, I could change the suspensions, audio upgrades, rack, lights color etc. Would it be worth making it custom. Before the accident as the bike was new, I was fraid to change anything away from Honda or approved accessories, but now it would feel different playing with it

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
You absolutely must get a new bike. You can never trust a bike with frame damage regardless of what the dealer tells you. A buddy of mine learned that the hard way when he bought a used bike that passed dealer muster but ended up having a bent frame that could never be made right again.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I would put the claim on my own insurance if he has none. If they choose to fix the bike rather than total it than so be it. If they do fix the bike, I would make sure to file a claim for loss of resale value for now owning an accident repaired bike. This value is a real loss. You no longer will have a clean car fax and won’t be able to sell it at fair market value.

Then I would also sue in parallel while trying to get your life back together.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts