GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Vendor
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a video that shows how to initialize the clutches on the bikes with DCT Transmissions. This may need to be done periodically as the clutch plates wear, or after initial break in. If you notice the bike shifting oddly or dashes in the display where the Riding Mode is normally shown, then you might want to try this and see if it works. I show using a block of wood to stop wheel rotation, but you can also use the parking brake. The initialization will not complete if the rear wheel is allowed to rotate. Engine oil needs to be up to full temperature. After the procedure is complete, it is normal for the wheel to want to rotate backwards if the brake is released and the bike is on the centerstand. This information came directly from Honda, and the procedure is also in the service manual (page 11-64).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Please do tell us where and how you obtained a service manual.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the tip I do believe it help. I did try 3 times with no result., put kick stand up it worked could very well mean it took me 4 times to get right, seems to happen a lot lately.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How many miles are on your bikes? Are you doing this cause it was necessary or just felt like see what would happen.

·
Vendor
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many miles are on your bikes? Are you doing this cause it was necessary or just felt like see what would happen.

My bike had 12K miles on it when I did it. It was starting to shift a bit rough and I had a couple times where it made a clacking sound when starting out from a stop light. After doing the initialization, it shifts MUCH smoother. It made an immediate and very noticeable improvement. Walking speed and reverse also work smoother now. Others who have done it have made similar comments.

Honda does this at the factory when the bikes are new, but I believe it needs to be done again after the clutches are fully bedded in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
With over 5000 miles on my bike I wanted to find out if this procedure would smooth out the downshifting which on my bike has not been smooth since new. I wrote down each step from Fred's video and went for a ride. About twenty miles into the ride when I had already made many stops and slowdowns, I followed the instructions from the video and found that if I waited too long between the steps in the procedure, it did not work. So I eliminated the pauses and followed the steps and it worked. It only takes a few minutes if done properly. I then continued my ride and the contrast was surprising. It really worked better than I had expected. The downshifts are significantly smoother and even the upshifts are improved. This has made a great bike even better. Thank you Fred for another very helpful and productive contribution to this forum.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I work better from a list, so I've compiled this procedure list after watching the video:

1. 1. Run bike for 5 to 10 miles to get engine oil up to operating temperature.
2. 2. Park bike, stop engine, turn off ignition and put up on center stand OR straddle bike while staying on seat.
a. If using center stand, engage parking brake or place chock under rear wheel. Keeps wheel from rotating during procedure.
b. If straddling bike instead of using center stand, ensure kick stand is UP.
3. 3. Turn on ignition while holding “D” switch in. DO NOT START BIKE.
4. 4. Watch for yellow Engine Mill light to come on. When it goes out, immediately release “D” switch.
5. 5. Press “D”, “D”, “N”, “D”, “N” in quick sequence.
6. 6. Transmission mode window button/indicator begins to blink.
7. 7. Start bike. DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE.
8. 8. Transmission mode window button continues to blink.
9. 9. When the initialization process is complete, the Transmission mode window button/indicator will stop blinking and Transmission mode window will show TOUR.

10. DONE!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did it as well with about 2700 miles on it. Shifting seems smoother to me.

Maybe this is something beneficial after “break-in” and probably from then on every few thousand miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Wow, did the DCT last night, just got back from a ride.
Much smoother down shifts and quieter shifting. :smile2:
Just changed oil to Honda synthetic a few days ago.

Thanks. Mr. Harmon

Now if I could only get my hands on a service manual. Grrrrrrrrrr.:frown2:

1 - 20 of 156 Posts