GL1800Riders Forums banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
It took me three tries before I got it right. Guess I was just being dense... I did not immediately release the "D" button in time, twice. I suppose I was wool gathering while the bike started up. But on the third try I was paying attention and was able to complete the initialization without any further problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought my bike shifted perfectly but after reading all the responses to this thread I did the procedure. WOW! I did a 400 mile spirited ride afterwards and could rarely hear an up shift or feel a down shift. I plan on redoing the procedure as a routine with oil changes and have forwarded the procedure onto the dealership service manager. Thank!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I’ve done this procedure twice and it worked really great. The third time I did it after the bike went back to tour the D wouldn’t work. It seemed like it was stuck in neutral. After shutting off and back on it worked fine. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I’m wondering if the procedure worked. Anyone experienced this??

·
Love The DCT
11,379 Posts
I’ve done this procedure twice and it worked really great. The third time I did it after the bike went back to tour the D wouldn’t work. It seemed like it was stuck in neutral. After shutting off and back on it worked fine. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I’m wondering if the procedure worked. Anyone experienced this??
Last two steps of the clutch initialize learning procedure on page 11-66 in the service manual.

5. Stop the engine.
6. Restart the engine, push the D switch and check that the “D” indicator comes on.

If you have the side stand extended, the bike is not going to shift into gear.

:doorag:

·
Love The DCT
11,379 Posts
Glad it's available, but $166.75? Holy crap! Do they come down in price over time?
Probably not. You’re getting two manuals for that price; the service manual and the electrical trouble shooting manual that has the colored electrical diagrams and shows the location of all components.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My bike had 12K miles on it when I did it. It was starting to shift a bit rough and I had a couple times where it made a clacking sound when starting out from a stop light. After doing the initialization, it shifts MUCH smoother. It made an immediate and very noticeable improvement. Walking speed and reverse also work smoother now. Others who have done it have made similar comments.

Honda does this at the factory when the bikes are new, but I believe it needs to be done again after the clutches are fully bedded in.

Could you please elaborate on the clacking sound when starting off from a stop light? Was it immediate upon roll, or did it seem to occur at the 1 > 2 shift point (suggesting a gear clash)? Has the clacking returned? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Glad it's available, but $166.75? Holy crap! Do they come down in price over time?
Save your self 2 hours at the dealer and it's more than paid for.

If you MIGHT do more than the basics, they are a far better buy than the stuff (the manuals) the aftermarket produces for $50 or $60, if they ever get around to it for this bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was reluctant to do this to my bike. I thought it shifted smooth as it was, but I'm glad I did do it. What a difference, especially with down shifts. My bike used to be a little jerky when down shifting to a stop. Now it's buttery smooth. Thanks for the video Fred!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
How often do folks think this is ok to perform? I did it around 90 miles and it shifted better/quieter but i think now at 1000 miles it is shifting more loudly (clack clack) than before. Do you think this is ok to do frequently or is there risk in performing it too much?

Also I assume i'm just over sensitive too it coming off a CVT bike with no change of gears. Should i be hearing the gears shift - clack clack - abd i should just chill?

·
Love The DCT
11,379 Posts
How often do folks think this is ok to perform? I did it around 90 miles and it shifted better/quieter but i think now at 1000 miles it is shifting more loudly (clack clack) than before. Do you think this is ok to do frequently or is there risk in performing it too much?

Also I assume i'm just over sensitive too it coming off a CVT bike with no change of gears. Should i be hearing the gears shift - clack clack - abd i should just chill?
Do it as often as ya want. It is normal to hear the gear shift changes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
With 3500 miles on the bike I thought I'd try this procedure. Didn't really notice any problems but...

What a difference it made. Shifts were now smooth as butter, especially noticeable in manual mode. However, I noted that I now had a half second pause in upshifting from 1st to 2nd. Ran through the procedure again and this was gone.

The procedure is easy enough that I'll probably do it once or twice a year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My point is, Honda should have done this after the assembly was complete. If not by them, then at least by the dealership.
Better yet, the bike should sense when it needs this procedure and automatically initiate this on startup or shutdown, with a warning that "clutch initialization in progress". But for now I'm just grateful we can "tune up" our shifting so easily.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Better yet, the bike should sense when it needs this procedure and automatically initiate this on startup or shutdown, with a warning that "clutch initialization in progress". But for now I'm just grateful we can "tune up" our shifting so easily.
It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to add a selection to run this clutch-adjustment procedure as a choice on one of the DCT's Settings menus.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am pretty sure that the DCT Initialization Procedure pops up in the window if it actually needs it. (check manual) (all dashes come up across the screen which indicates to do the Procedure. Owners are actually doing it as a preempt, before machine computer thinks it needs it. What does it know!!!lol..

Just a educated guess that the many xtra parts to the transmission increases the ("stacked tolerances") of the machine and with initial wear in, adding up ALL the tolerances, increases the total tolerances which are somewhat controlled by oil psi and the system corrects the oil psi to make functions smoother.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts