GL1800Riders Forums banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Love The DCT
11,377 Posts
I am pretty sure that the DCT Initialization Procedure pops up in the window if it actually needs it. (check manual) (all dashes come up across the screen which indicates to do the Procedure. Owners are actually doing it as a preempt, before machine computer thinks it needs it. What does it know!!!lol..
When the TCM is replaced with a new one and you turn on the ignition switch, the “D” indicator will be illuminated and dashes (“-“) will be illuminated in the riding mode indicator window. This indicates the clutch initialize learn procedure is required. (Page 11-64)

If all the segments in the riding mode indicator window are illuminated, (been there, done that,) the diagnostic procedure is to check for DTC, check the PGM-FI, check the DCT, check the ABS, check the front/rear control unit, and check for a faulty combination meter.
(Page 22-14)

Just a educated guess that the many xtra parts to the transmission increases the ("stacked tolerances") of the machine and with initial wear in, adding up ALL the tolerances, increases the total tolerances which are somewhat controlled by oil psi and the system corrects the oil psi to make functions smoother.
Great technical paper by Honda titled; “Development of Dual Clutch Transmission for VFR1200F describes the DCT.

:doorag:

·
Registered
767 Posts
After not being able to ride all summer because of the delay in my seat rebuild. I was able to do the DCT Initialization Procedure. It smoothed out the downshifts immensely, but the shift from 1st to 2nd is a little abrupt. I see another poster had a slight delay there and did the procedure a second time and it smoothed out. So I will do it again the next time out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It may be coincidence but...

After doing the clutch initialization my backup is better. Previously, the bike would start backing up fast, for maybe a half second, then slow down. Now it backs up at a uniform speed. If the clutch isn't involved in backing up please let me know. Otherwise, i'm going to claim improved backing as another benefit of clutch initialization.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’ve done this procedure twice and it worked really great. The third time I did it after the bike went back to tour the D wouldn’t work. It seemed like it was stuck in neutral. After shutting off and back on it worked fine. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I’m wondering if the procedure worked. Anyone experienced this??
I did this procedure last nite and it took me three times of shutting off the bike and restarting before it would go into drive. Had me worried.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I’ve done this procedure twice and it worked really great. The third time I did it after the bike went back to tour the D wouldn’t work. It seemed like it was stuck in neutral. After shutting off and back on it worked fine. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I’m wondering if the procedure worked. Anyone experienced this??

The 'tour' message is an indicaion of procedure success.

Shutting it off nest is also part of the procedure (--- that's how it i supposed to work.)

Restart and push 'D'.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I do the procedure every 1000 miles.
I’ve done (1) and after 18,000 miles see no reason to do it again. Transmission is smooth as silk in all driving conditions!

If it ain’t broke, leave it along!:laugh:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm pretty sure he means that the procedure made the DCT shift smoother.
As best as I can tell, my DCT is as smooth now as the day I did the DCT Initialization Procedure. I can’t see playing with something that ain’t broke!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Add me to the list of believers.
I have about 4300 miles on my bike (I thought it was more...I was wrong) and I've always been impressed with it, but thought the shifting was a bit "off" for lack of a better term.
I had just brought the bike home from the dealer for a major tire damage incident and had a bit of time to kill before a planned burger/beer run. The bike was already warmed up so I put it on the center stand and watched Fred's video. I did the procedure...it was pretty cool watching it step through it's programming.
Anyway, once it was done I restarted the bike and headed to the meeting location for our ride.

OMG!!

Apparently I had no clue how poorly it had been shifting. It's like a magic carpet now. I really liked it before, now I'm in love...and really impressed. It really shifts perfect.

I had always thought I could probably shift much better...not any more. What a difference.
I think dealers should do this as a matter of delivery...every time they sell one.

I had run the MSF obstacle courses a couple of months ago and really struggled to get through the obstacles without a penalty. (I'm usually a prefect score...it's my thing.) I chalked up my less-than-perfect run to only having 1200 miles or so on this bike at the time. Nope, it was shifting that bad and jerking up and down while in slow speed maneuvers. That is all gone now...I'll pwn that course again now.
Wow, I can't believe I thought what it was doing before was remotely right.
I can't wait for tomorrow's breakfast run.

If you haven't done this Initialization yet, just take the five minutes and do it. I think you'll be amazed.

·
Registered
923 Posts
DCT Initialization Procedure will not complete. The first time I had it on the center stand but the tire kicked out the piece of wood I had under it so I put it on the side stand and tried again. I have tried doing it four times. The last time it ran for over 15 minutes an still did not complete. What gives?

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
DCT Initialization Procedure will not complete. The first time I had it on the center stand but the tire kicked out the piece of wood I had under it so I put it one the side stand and tried again. I have tried doing it four times. The last time it ran for over 15 minutes an still did not complete. What gives?
Did you take if for a ride to make sure the bike (engine oil) was warm enough before you tried it?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I had just ridden it for over 30 minutes

·
Registered
923 Posts
I finally go it to work. I had to do it about 10 times. What a temperamental bike.

121 - 140 of 156 Posts