GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious?
Did a cold start (bike was parked off for 4 days), and rode to the shops (about 3km). On my way, I found the box not shifting very smooth and as I slowed down at a yield or a speed bump, the box went into 1st gear (with that engine braking), etc.
On my way back home, the bike shifted very smooth, held 2nd and 3rd gears as I slowed down to turn and take corners....it was perfect.
bike was in tour mode and has only 600km on the clock.
I did do the DCT initialization just before I parked the bike off 4 days ago. Anyone out there knows why the box operated so differently?
(our country is on lockdown, so can't ride much)
be safe everyone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
On my DCT Goldwing I find the transmission shifts more smoothly if I let the bike Idle a few minutes when the engine is cold, before I drive off on the road. Once the engine is warmed up then it always shifts nice a smooth. I would guess it has something to do with cold engine oil that makes the transmission shift less than perfect.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
For sure, warming helps.
You will likely also find that if you use braking, it will downshift to assist.
If you coast it is less likely.

At 600km, you're wrist is still learning the tricks the DCT can do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my DCT Goldwing I find the transmission shifts more smoothly if I let the bike Idle a few minutes when the engine is cold, before I drive off on the road. Once the engine is warmed up then it always shifts nice a smooth. I would guess it has something to do with cold engine oil that makes the transmission shift less than perfect.
I did warm the bike up for about 5 minutes before i took off, always do.
the post above says maybe i am still learning the characteristics of the box, maybe that is part of it.
I am just wondering why the first time it changed down to first gear while slowing down and when returning it held the 2nd and 3rd gears under same slowing down conditions.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Take advantage of the paddle shifters and you choose what gear you want and it works in any mode(s)!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The DCT uses the pressurized engine oil for shifting. The oil is thicker when the bike is first started. Once the oil is up to temperature it smooths out. My ‘18 is the same with 11,500 miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also own a Honda Africa Twin with a DCT. And the odd thing is how much smoother the Africa Twin shifts compared to the Goldwing. Another odd characteristic between the two is how they shift in different DCT modes. I always keep the AT set in the most aggressive setting and it up shifts and down shifts at the same engine speeds that I would shift if I was driving a manual transmission, it's fantastic. If you set the AT in Drive mode, it shifts into 6th at 35 mph and lugs the engine, which I hate. On my GW I almost always leave the DCT set in Tour mode and it shifts at a slightly lower RPM then I would if I was using a manual transmission. But if I put the DCT on Sport mode on the GW, it's just a bit too aggressive for my taste when I'm cruising along. But if I'm riding some twisty roads on the GW then Sport mode is great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anytime I am in "corner mode", I just put it in manual and control my own destiny. I love the DCT auto 92% of the time, but anytime I am in corners or hilly country, I want to control what gear I am in. Do not like it when it shifts up or down in middle of corner or downhill. Unless if I am just cruising, it's not a big deal with an occasional up or down shift in auto mode, but when I have to concentrate, manual just works better for me. Choices are beautiful!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anytime I am in "corner mode", I just put it in manual and control my own destiny. I love the DCT auto 92% of the time, but anytime I am in corners or hilly country, I want to control what gear I am in. Do not like it when it shifts up or down in middle of corner or downhill. Unless if I am just cruising, it's not a big deal with an occasional up or down shift in auto mode, but when I have to concentrate, manual just works better for me. Choices are beautiful!
The same for me in the mountains(Europe) in the hairpins sometimes he is shifting down just by out-coming the corner. Not the best place to do so. If I'm in such situation I switch to manual mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts