GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's long, but wanted to share an unexpected issue I ran into just this week.

Just bought a new 2018 Goldwing Tour w/DCT Friday of Memorial Day weekend (less than 2 months ago) and have about ~1,300 miles (not as many miles as I'd like, but hey, I'm still in the seat). So far I have loved every minute of it, and my decision with to go with the DCT, until this week.

Most every weekday starts out with me riding from home to the gym. Approximately a 20 minute ride on neighborhood streets and country backroads, with a lot of stop signs and intersections, so a lot of up/down shifting by the DCT. This week however, as the bike is downshifting from "5"th to "4"th gear the 'Gear' and 'Ride Mode' indicators blank out and start flashing (see pic...I have a 3-4sec vid but couldn't figure out how to upload). The bike is unable to switch gears at this point. I am able to give it throttle and it will respond (slowly). I had a stop sign at an intersection about 50 yards away so I braked and pulled over to the curb at the sign, lit up the hazards and waved cars around me.

I tried getting it back into gear, pressed "N", then "D", manual, auto switch, nothing. I then hit the kill switch on the bike (with indicators still flashing), then turned the ignition knob to off (bike goes dark). Turned the ignition knob to on, the bike boots up (center console lights up, rpm/speed gauges cycle, etc.) but now the 'Gear' indicator flashes and then displays "5" and the 'Gear Mode' indicator changes to all dashes ("------"). After about 10 seconds a small picture displays at the bottom of the center screen showing the red start switch + a picture of the front brake being pulled in (modern version of the idiot light?). So I follow the instructions and pull the front brake and hit the engine start. The 'Gear' indicator changes to a dash ("-") and the 'Ride Mode' indicator continues to display the dashes. The DCT then seems to reset itself, the gears start cranking through a sequence and then the 'Gear' indicator changes to "N" and the 'Ride Mode' indicator displays "Tour" after about 30-45 seconds of this. With a sigh of relief I continue on with my day without incident (including the ride home from work, ~45min total).

That same evening, knowing this was not normal behavior, I am reviewing the forums and came across the DCT Initialization Process. Given my issue that I experienced, it seemed that others may have experienced the same occasionally. I followed the steps and it worked as described. Next day, I go through my same routine (ride from home to gym, gym to work, work to home) without any issues.

The day after that, I ride from home to the gym and the same issue initially described happens twice! (Are you kidding me? Grrrr) Each time, I follow the same steps to "reset" that got me though the first time. Fortunately, the rest of the ride (gym to work and work to home) were normal with no incident.

This time I reviewed page 181 of the owner's manual (also attached), in retrospect I should have done that day 1, that says "...you may have a serious problem with the Dual Clutch Transmission system." Following the recommendation, I called the dealer and explained the issue and took it in the next day (today, Saturday 7/14). Fortunately, I was able to ride it in (60 miles) without incident.

I met with the Service Manager, explained the situation, and showed him the pics/vid of the flashing 'Gear'/'Ride Mode' indicators and a copy of the page from the Owner's Manual. He agreed there was an issue, opened a "case" (entered the issue into a computer system) and made a call to the Honda Rep. Being Saturday, he left a VM with him explaining the same. Apparently, the Honda Rep will be on-site Tuesday (for some other unrelated issue) and will be able to "pull the codes" from the bike and troubleshoot.

Not sure where it all goes from here, what the root cause or resolution will be, but will keep you updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
looks like a trip to the dealer is manditory

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

·
Administrator
4,931 Posts
If it were my bike, I wouldn't touch anything until the dealer/rep have taken a look at it Telling them you HAD a problem and them SEEING the problem are 2 different things, and the way Honda likes to deny things......

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Fred, the way I read his reports, he has done the initialization between the first and second incidences. Also, I find it interesting that the bike's internal systems apparently self initiated after that first incident and before the OP initialized it. I hope this is a rather simple flaw and not a case where the bike has to be torn down and tranny opened to replace a shift actuator. Dayhem! Where are the service manuals!?!

prs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update on bike status. The Honda Rep was able to "pull the codes" off the bike with the dealer yesterday as planned and are identifying the 'Electric Shifter Motor' as the probable culprit. At Honda's request, the dealer is running some additional tests today/tomorrow to isolate the issue before they will order the replacement part(s). While it sucks this issue occurred in the first place, the response from the dealer and Honda have been great. With luck I hope to get the bike sometime next week.

·
Administrator
4,931 Posts
Just an update on bike status. The Honda Rep was able to "pull the codes" off the bike with the dealer yesterday as planned and are identifying the 'Electric Shifter Motor' as the probable culprit. At Honda's request, the dealer is running some additional tests today/tomorrow to isolate the issue before they will order the replacement part(s). While it sucks this issue occurred in the first place, the response from the dealer and Honda have been great. With luck I hope to get the bike sometime next week.
Please, keep us updated on this........
Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Further updates (back to square 1):

Talked with the dealer early AM yesterday and he stated that they had replaced the 'Electric Shifter Motor' as found in the previous update. The tech did some additional testing and confirmed that the voltage was bad. After repair, both the Svc Mgr and the tech had ridden the bike to confirm they were no longer seeing the issue. I then made arrangements to pick-up the bike the next morning and the Svc Mgr said he would leave the 'Warranty Ticket' open until I had a chance to ride it for a week or so to make sure the problem didn't come back.

Gotta say I was feeling pretty good at this point to have the bike back for the start of the weekend.

End of day, yesterday (same day), I received a call from the Svc Mgr. He had done some additional riding on the bike (since the problem was intermittent to begin with he thought it would be a good idea to test ride for additional validation) and experienced the flashing 'Gear' and 'Ride Mode' indicator issue again about 10 minutes into the ride (similar to before, it seemed to occur before the bike was up to temp and was at relatively low speed [side streets, 25-45mph])

Fortunately, they experienced the issue before I drove over an hour or so to pick up the bike and would have found it myself at some point. Unfortunately, I am sidelined and they are back to square 1 on root cause and are calling the Honda Tech today. They did not expect to have any info before early next week so I will update then.

·
Registered
475 Posts
So sorry to hear that and feel bad for you!!!
Crossing my fingers these DCT bugs aren't going to become widespread!!:surprise:

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Very frustrating to say the least hope the cause is quickly found.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I know what you are going through. GOOD LUCK! Your dealer and Honda will really try to help you. Be patient and give them a chance.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Hopetully you can get a new motorcycle. That is the "fix" for most DCT problems. Problems are few and far between probably, but when there is a problem, repair is very difficult to say the least. Good luck.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hopetully you can get a new motorcycle. That is the "fix" for most DCT problems. Problems are few and far between probably, but when there is a problem, repair is very difficult to say the least. Good luck.
All that negative MOJO! How about positive thoughts!!!0:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the support. Not the easiest being sidelined given this is a brand new bike. But since this issue did happen, I want to say that the dealer and Honda have been attentive and outstanding in their response and actions to the issue.

Just spoke with the service manager at the dealer. 2 of his techs have been working alongside the Honda tech to go through the bike the last few days. Long story short, they found pinched wiring at the 'Gang Switch' (ie. switch that the Starter is on) on the handlebar. The Honda tech is pretty certain that this is the issue causing the problem. They were told that anything impeding the voltage could negatively effect the sensors, etc. They are being overnighted a new switch and wiring harness and expect it in sometime tomorrow.

(fingers crossed) Hoping to hear good news either tomorrow or Saturday. Again will post when I hear more.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thank you all for the support. Not the easiest being sidelined given this is a brand new bike. But since this issue did happen, I want to say that the dealer and Honda have been attentive and outstanding in their response and actions to the issue.

Just spoke with the service manager at the dealer. 2 of his techs have been working alongside the Honda tech to go through the bike the last few days. Long story short, they found pinched wiring at the 'Gang Switch' (ie. switch that the Starter is on) on the handlebar. The Honda tech is pretty certain that this is the issue causing the problem. They were told that anything impeding the voltage could negatively effect the sensors, etc. They are being overnighted a new switch and wiring harness and expect it in sometime tomorrow.

(fingers crossed) Hoping to hear good news either tomorrow or Saturday. Again will post when I hear more.
Hope that's the case but isn't that what they originally said about Orrin's issue ?

·
15 year Member
6,959 Posts
I hate to say it but every “failure” is a PLUS.... I’m sorry that you are having problems... I too have had problems with the “almighty” and “bulletproof” last model run...However I Must reiterate that while the original poster is having issues it will help us ALL in the long run.... Honda does “extensive” testing on new year products but I would say that the mileage and real world riding like Goldwing riders do, is incomplete, there will be problems.... so every tragedy that happens is ok with me....

Mattbcnv

1 - 20 of 37 Posts