1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
930 Posts
I questioned that also. I called Honda and asked about the Honda HP4S 10w-30 Synthetic oil and they said that was ok to use.
I have about 3,000 miles on it since I changed to it and it works great. No problems and covered if warranty repairs are ever needed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just did my first oil change with Pro Honda HP4S full synthetic. It meets or exceeds all requirements.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just did my first oil change with Pro Honda HP4S full synthetic. It meets or exceeds all requirements.
Does the package say that this in an energy conserving oil? I could not find a synthetic oil that was not energy conserving.

Reactions: Bayrec

·
Registered
506 Posts
Generally, oil that is rated SN or SN+ fall into the category of energy saving/conserving. HP4S is SJ rated. I use Motul but it can be difficult to find it on the shelf at most places that sell oil.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Generally, oil that is rated SN or SN+ fall into the category of energy saving/conserving. HP4S is SJ rated. I use Motul but it can be difficult to find it on the shelf at most places that sell oil.
I just replaced my oil with the Motul oil (syn) and honestly have to say that I true'ly like the way it shifts... smooth'er, quiet'er, ....

Ronnie

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hear ya Greg and no disrespect intended but I've been using Synthetic oil in motorcycles (over 100,000 miles) for years with no ill affects. In fact they have always felt and sounded better once changed over. Granted the DCT is a different animal and has one more clutch to worry about but I swear it shifts better.
Has anyone got an official warning from Honda not to use their synthetic?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I enjoy doing oil changes every 4K so I just go with the Honda Dino for half the cost of synthetic. I did use Mobil 1 synthetic one time and didn’t seem to make enough difference in shifting to spend the extra. I use the extra cash for the additional filters I need doing more frequently changes.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
Sorry ... not at my shop, but in Honda's Service Manual I believe it says to "only use Honda's conventional GN4 10w-30." Their wording is extremely strong.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yep, it's extremely strong, but you and I believe it's "strong" for different reasons. It's intentional marketing, nothing more, nothing less. For starters Honda (and several other motorcycle makers) should be taken to task for the wording they are getting away with using in their owners manuals. It is carefully and intentionally confusing, even using improper English instead of clearly stating the minimum API and JASO ratings needed to meet proper operational and warranty requirements. Here is a cut and paste from the owners manual: Notice the misleading and incorrect use of the word "except".

Recommended engine oil
API Service Classification SG or higher
except oils labeled as energy conserving or
resource conserving on the circular API
service label, SAE 10W-30, JASO T 903
standard MA, Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil
(USA & Canada) or Honda 4-stroke oil, or an
equivalent motorcycle oil Engine oil capacity
After draining 4.6 US qt

I'm not "dissing" Honda Oil. I am saying they make it intentionally confusing while conveniently inserting that their specific oil is recommended. They should clearly state the SAE weight required, which is 10w-30, the minimum API rating which is "SG" or higher....meaning any API rating of "S" followed by any letter in the alphabet of "G" or higher, and then clearly state the JASO requirement of T 903 or higher which is also misleading because nobody uses "T 903" since all the manufacturers and oil companies agreed to supercede that rating with "MA" over a decade ago, since followed with MA1 and MA2. As stated above, "except oils labeled as energy conserving...." is also confusing as most makers dropped the use of the "circular" and "wet clutch compatible" for clearer "JASO" rating as lower viscosity oils designed for energy conservation were easily confused with the "circular" emblem which indicate two entirely different things. As noted in the above post....the oil they recommend is clearly marked with JASO rating "MA", so why not just say that in the owners manual rather than mucking it up and confusing things so intentionally?

There is nothing bad or wrong with Honda oils....but likewise, there is nothing "magic" about what/how Honda oil will perform in any Honda. Based on it's ratings and comparative analysis, it's rather mediocre oil. You can look at the "add-pak" analysis and it's breakdown/shear/additive depletion analysis in various engines and service miles at Bobistheoilguy website. I encourage people to get informed and judge for yourselves.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts