GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before flaming to bad realize that I normaly have the honda dealer change my oil about every 4k miles so I never had a need to know before, is the engine oil and transmission oil one and the same or are they separate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The transmission and the engine share the same oil. This why you need to follow the recommended oil. I use Honda 10w30 hps.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dang, I thought this was going to be an oil thread...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Your owners manual gives you all those answers and more. Tells you what fluids for everything on the bike and how much to put. So in case you don't have one to read, your DCT holds 5 quarts of oil when you change the filters. Just like Virginiawing mentioned, there are two filters and three drain plugs. Be very careful when reinstalling the transmission filter cap. It has a very delicate O ring that tends to tear or rupture quite easily. That cap is held on by two 8mm bolts. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM AS THEY COULD STRIP OUT EASILY. Also, lots of people have had problems when checking the oil level after the change. The new 2018 DCT and non DCT are finicky when checking. Some people say that their dip stick shows no oil, which could happen sometimes. I change my oil on a lift table with bike on center stand. After refill of the oil and engine runs about 3 minutes. I kill it and let it sit for about 5 minutes before I attempt to check the level. When I do, the level is right where it belongs. If you check on the side stand, it will most likely for sure, show no oil. It's also best to warm the engine up before draining so as to help it flow out more completely and faster. However, if my bike was on the table all night, the next morning I would just pull the plugs and let it drain. As for what type of oil, you will read many different opinions here for sure. I have tried several M/C oils and recently tried the Castrol Actevo M/C 10/40 part synthetic, and my bike seems to shift smoother than before. Hope all this helps you with your first oil change that you will do.

Big H

·
Registered
153 Posts
My local Honda dealer charges me $67.00 to change the filters and the oil, and check the rear wheel diff oil.
Could I do it cheaper , yea but at that price Im not going to crawl under the bike to drain the oil and and worry about filters etc.
Almost $16/1000 miles.
I can afford that.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
My local Honda dealer charges me $67.00 to change the filters and the oil, and check the rear wheel diff oil.
Could I do it cheaper , yea but at that price Im not going to crawl under the bike to drain the oil and and worry about filters etc.
Almost $16/1000 miles.
I can afford that.
I agree 100% !!

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am approaching 12K miles and planning to change the oil myself this time. I did have the dealer do it at 4K, but since then, I have become very frustrated dealing with the dealerships that are near my home. I decided to spend what I would have paid in labor costs for one oil change and bought Fred's video subscription instead.

Here's just one example of the frustration of using the dealer to do routine maintenance work. My front tire is showing wear and I decided I needed a front tire before heading out on the road next month. I was at the dealer on Friday and they said they had the front tire in stock, I paid for it and arranged to bring the bike in on Monday morning for the tire change. The service writer said he had set the tire aside for me. Monday morning comes, I bring the bike in and am told it might not get done until late in the day, so I arrange for a ride. By late in the day, I called the dealer and was told, "We're short handed today, it looks like it might not get done until tomorrow." What can you do at that point? Tuesday afternoon I get a call, "Sorry, but we thought we had the tire in inventory, but it was a different tire. We have to order the tire. We will call you back when the tire is in stock." What total BS.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I am approaching 12K miles and planning to change the oil myself this time. I did have the dealer do it at 4K, but since then, I have become very frustrated dealing with the dealerships that are near my home. I decided to spend what I would have paid in labor costs for one oil change and bought Fred's video subscription instead.

Here's just one example of the frustration of using the dealer to do routine maintenance work. My front tire is showing wear and I decided I needed a front tire before heading out on the road next month. I was at the dealer on Friday and they said they had the front tire in stock, I paid for it and arranged to bring the bike in on Monday morning for the tire change. The service writer said he had set the tire aside for me. Monday morning comes, I bring the bike in and am told it might not get done until late in the day, so I arrange for a ride. By late in the day, I called the dealer and was told, "We're short handed today, it looks like it might not get done until tomorrow." What can you do at that point? Tuesday afternoon I get a call, "Sorry, but we thought we had the tire in inventory, but it was a different tire. We have to order the tire. We will call you back when the tire is in stock." What total BS.

LA area is big. There has to be a better Honda dealer nearby

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost $16/1000 miles.
I can afford that.

No not planning on doing it myself but I do plan to check the oil level, just wanted to be sure there was only one place to check it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your owners manual gives you all those answers and more. Tells you what fluids for everything on the bike and how much to put. So in case you don't have one to read, your DCT holds 5 quarts of oil when you change the filters. Just like Virginiawing mentioned, there are two filters and three drain plugs. Be very careful when reinstalling the transmission filter cap. It has a very delicate O ring that tends to tear or rupture quite easily. That cap is held on by two 8mm bolts. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM AS THEY COULD STRIP OUT EASILY. Also, lots of people have had problems when checking the oil level after the change. The new 2018 DCT and non DCT are finicky when checking. Some people say that their dip stick shows no oil, which could happen sometimes. I change my oil on a lift table with bike on center stand. After refill of the oil and engine runs about 3 minutes. I kill it and let it sit for about 5 minutes before I attempt to check the level. When I do, the level is right where it belongs. If you check on the side stand, it will most likely for sure, show no oil. It's also best to warm the engine up before draining so as to help it flow out more completely and faster. However, if my bike was on the table all night, the next morning I would just pull the plugs and let it drain. As for what type of oil, you will read many different opinions here for sure. I have tried several M/C oils and recently tried the Castrol Actevo M/C 10/40 part synthetic, and my bike seems to shift smoother than before. Hope all this helps you with your first oil change that you will do.

Big H
No offense, but if you’re checking the oil at 5 minutes then you’re getting an incorrect reading. I doubt 5 quarts will hurt anything, but the DCT holds 4.9. That’s doesn’t sound like much, but 5 quarts is 100 ml (approx. 3 ounces) too full. The dealer filled mine with 5 quarts at the first service (and the only service a dealer will ever do) and it was reading 3/8 - 1/2 inch above the full line with the bike warmed up checking it between 2-3 minutes as outlined in the owner’s manual. With 5 quarts it reads about 1/8 inch below full cold, whereas cold, the oil at 4.9 quarts is normally at the add mark.

I did an experiment with my bike hot. I checked the oil at 2, 3, 4, and 5 minutes. Between 2-3 the oil level with 4.9 quarts was at the full mark as expected. Beyond that the oil reading began dropping. By 5 minutes it was way down the dipstick approaching the add mark, and in comparison, about same measurment on the stick that I got above the full line with the bike overfilled with 5 quarts.

I get consistent oil readings each time as long as a use the procedure in the owner’s manual.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Almost $16/1000 miles.
I can afford that.
Good Point, I just did mine and I had $60.00 in oil and filter plus some extra time and a couple trips to get an engine oil filter wrench that would fit. Still need to drain the breather hose (why they made that so hard to do by having to remove the engine cover is beyond me, one more hose hanging below the bike wouldn't have bothered me.)
It will be easier next time, but for $67.00 that would be tempting.

PBR

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
No offense, but if you’re checking the oil at 5 minutes then you’re getting an incorrect reading. I doubt 5 quarts will hurt anything, but the DCT holds 4.9. That’s doesn’t sound like much, but 5 quarts is 100 ml (approx. 3 ounces) too full. The dealer filled mine with 5 quarts at the first service (and the only service a dealer will ever do) and it was reading 3/8 - 1/2 inch above the full line with the bike warmed up checking it between 2-3 minutes as outlined in the owner’s manual. With 5 quarts it reads about 1/8 inch below full cold, whereas cold, the oil at 4.9 quarts is normally at the add mark.

I did an experiment with my bike hot. I checked the oil at 2, 3, 4, and 5 minutes. Between 2-3 the oil level with 4.9 quarts was at the full mark as expected. Beyond that the oil reading began dropping. By 5 minutes it was way down the dipstick approaching the add mark, and in comparison, about same measurment on the stick that I got above the full line with the bike overfilled with 5 quarts.

I get consistent oil readings each time as long as a use the procedure in the owner’s manual.
Sorry but I get a kick out of people worrying about 4.9 vs 5 Qt of oil when filling the DCT.
This is 3.2 Oz difference.....you ever look at how much this is in a measuring cup?

With 5 Qt bottles of oil, you ever realize how much residue is left in the bottles?
You can never get all the oil out unless you let them drip for an hour........the actual amount put into the bike is probably much closer to the 4.9Qt considering whats left in the bottles.

IMHO, dump in 5 Qts and ride....... :thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts

No offense taken. But I did say "about 5 minutes" now being too specific I understand. However, it never showed it to be overfilled anytime I checked it. I have always done the same thing with my Toyota Camry and still have it after 12 years. It too recommended less than 5 qts but always put 5 qts with no issues. I'm not suggesting that anyone copy my method and not measure the oil to be put in, but rather that I see no reason now or in the past that my method has ever caused any harm. Hope I cleared up my post.

Big H

·
Registered
421 Posts

The dealer I have used is Moto Untd in La Habra, I can walk there from work, so dropping it off is real easy, they have been real good to me.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Almost $16/1000 miles.
I can afford that.
So you can fit under your Wing......LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts