GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The parking brake 18 with 21k is about worthless now. Any tips/links on how to adjust the brake?

· Registered
331 Posts
OK, serious question. I've had my 18 GW Tour DCT for about 6 months and have never used the parking brake. I just side stand it, get off and center stand it....I'm inseam challenged, so rock it off to pull away. I've never used the parking brake and can't think of a situation to use it. When do you use the parking brake that its worn down in 21K?

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found it here Parking brake Honda Goldwing 1800 DCT | GL1800Riders Forums

I only use the centerstand when service/cleaning. It's easy to ride a short distance with the p brake on and that seems to all it takes to put it out of adjustment. Going to adjust it but I like the velcro strap for a backup plan on a steep incline.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
OK got it, sounds logical enough, I just never thought of using it since it's always on the center stand when parked.
I almost never park on the center stand. Hence the difference with our perspectives.

Reactions: Walrus and Dougbug

· Premium Member
2,201 Posts

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,149 Posts
The cable adjustment is ONE thing, pads adjustment is SECOND thing. If you don't have Fred's or heavy weight service book, YT has plenty of good guys showing how to. Its really not hard for all levels of knowledge....I promise :geek: 🍷. When you are done, double check with the 3-5 clicks, if she is locked. And, watch the YT you had chosen again, to make sure you didn't forget anything. The nut that locks the stud pressing on the pads needs ONLY 13 f/lbs. Double check that. GIVE YOURSELF A BRAKE :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

· Registered
10,022 Posts
The cable adjustment is ONE thing, pads adjustment is SECOND thing. If you don't have Fred's or heavy weight service book, YT has plenty of good guys showing how to. Its really not hard for all levels of knowledge....I promise :geek: 🍷. When you are done, double check with the 3-5 clicks, if she is locked. And, watch the YT you had chosen again, to make sure you didn't forget anything. The nut that locks the stud pressing on the pads needs ONLY 13 f/lbs. Double check that. GIVE YOURSELF A BRAKE :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Make sure after the adjustment the wheel will spin free with the P/ brake off.
When I adjusted mine, I adjusted it at the wheel, didn't touch the cable.
Works great.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
I've done the adjustment by the book and videos several times. It will loosen up to useless within a few months. Yeah, I have the EC lock out module too.
I finally bought the bullet brake. Easy install and doesn't wear out.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts