GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
17,883 Posts
Wow, 2 minute job. Finally something easy on the new gen wing!
You are WAY quicker than I. Takes me longer than that to get the tools out and put back away.

prs

• Haha
Reactions: Dougbug and L8R

· Registered
4,468 Posts
I don't remember the last time I adjusted my parking brake. But, it still holds strong.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
The Bullet Brake takes just a few minutes to install. Just make sure ya have a towel under that part of the handlebar before ya start. You'll get a few drops of brake fluid during the installation.
Once it's tightened down, ya just need to pump the hand brake a few times then pump the bullet brake till ya feel it tighten up and you're done.
Their web page is dated but I contacted them about what part to use. They gave me a link for my 2020 DCT.
Bullet Brake BB-05 - Bullet Brake

This is a dirt simple part to install, but then, if ya need someone to check your tire pressure for ya, you'll need someone to do this too.

· Registered
10,024 Posts
The Bullet Brake takes just a few minutes to install. Just make sure ya have a towel under that part of the handlebar before ya start. You'll get a few drops of brake fluid during the installation.
Once it's tightened down, ya just need to pump the hand brake a few times then pump the bullet brake till ya feel it tighten up and you're done.
Their web page is dated but I contacted them about what part to use. They gave me a link for my 2020 DCT.

This is a dirt simple part to install, but then, if ya need someone to check your tire pressure for ya, you'll need someone to do this too.
No need, my bike has a parking brake on the rear, works just fine.

· Registered
24 Posts

Thanks for the update!

· Registered
3,808 Posts
You definitely won't be driving away if the have the Bullet Brake and have it set.
That's for sure....
The Bullet Brake is a must on a DCT Trike, I just don't trust the OEM DCT hand brake enough.......it's not reliable, adjusted or not. Seems like a Honda afterthought IMHO.

If I knew about it, I would have put the Bullet Brake on my '19 DCT 2-wheeler, great product IMHO. (y)

Hood Blue Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: BrokenBackJack

· Premium Member
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,355 Posts
The mechanism for the parking brake on the DCT is for the most part, very, very similar to many disc braked cars and trucks in the cager world. Some use a small drum brake for parking brakes and some a small disc, like the Wing. But it is a latching/ratcheting system and I have depended up it many times in less than flat parked positions. I understand a trike is quite a bit heavier than the Wing it was made from. And, since the Bullet brake is so easy to install and use, why not?

The Bullet brake is not a new concept. I installed something very similar type hydraulic brake lock in one of my Jeeps decades ago. It locked the front brakes only if and when needed. Some of our early, early fire trucks that had them also.
Scott

Amazon.com: Hydraulic Brake Park Lock ,Line Lock Manual Brake Lock Hydraulic Brake Park Lock Pressure Holder for Cars Trucks Hydro Brake Line Lock Brake line Locker Hydraulic Parking Brake : Automotive

· Registered
17,883 Posts
What not reliable about a cable operated hand brake?
They used that system on automobiles and trucks for many decades.
On my 2018, the cable tended to stretch when used and this required frequent turnbuckle adjustments. It was and is reliable, but required the attention function properly. The little "mini moto" type pads wear unevenly from slight drag, even when not used for parking. I forget which pad wore out first, maybe the left side. I rarely use the park brake, opting to park nose uphill and on center stand if on a slope. So, reliable; but not so durable.

prs

· Registered
3,808 Posts
What not reliable about a cable operated hand brake?
They used that system on automobiles and trucks for many decades.
Wether it's the cable or the mechanism or the implementation....... it very often loses its ability to hold the bike reliably and it happens often.......When you are out on an extended trip and have to adjust the parking brake half way through the trip to hold the bike, I consider than unreliable.

The Bullet Brake holds the bike SOLID, no movement whatsoever......and NEVER requires any adjustment.
Much better and reliable setup IMHO........great on a bike and almost a necessity on a Trike.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kenichi

· Registered
3,808 Posts
The only time that happens is when you ride off with it fully engaged.
Mine always works when I need it, I fully trust it with my bike.
Not in my experience....and I've never ridden with it engaged, I have the EC blinking indication.

· Registered
1,350 Posts
I always worry about someone releasing the stock honda brake. Might never happen but it would be just my luck.
The Bullet Brake works great and easy to use.
Reminds me somewhat of the Micro Brake we used to have on our grain trucks and fire trucks back in the day. Step on the foot brake and then set the Micro Brake switch and it locked up the trucks brakes. You weren't going to drive away with that on either.

· Premium Member
2,202 Posts
I always worry about someone releasing the stock honda brake. Might never happen but it would be just my luck.
The Bullet Brake works great and easy to use.
Reminds me somewhat of the Micro Brake we used to have on our grain trucks and fire trucks back in the day. Step on the foot brake and then set the Micro Brake switch and it locked up the trucks brakes. You weren't going to drive away with that on either.
@BrokenBackJack, funny you say that with your luck, someone will come along a release the brake. I have caught people walking up to my CSC trike and pressing the brake lever, and twisting the throttle. That would not bother me if not on an incline but could prove disastrous on an incline. Actually had one fellow sitting on it. I will now install my half cover is I will be away from it for 20 or so minutes.

· Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
708 Posts
@BrokenBackJack, funny you say that with your luck, someone will come along a release the brake. I have caught people walking up to my CSC trike and pressing the brake lever, and twisting the throttle. That would not bother me if not on an incline but could prove disastrous on an incline. Actually had one fellow sitting on it. I will now install my half cover is I will be away from it for 20 or so minutes.
Hmm, there would be lifeless bodies laying there. I cannot fathom someone actually touching someone else's bike, car, etc?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts