GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2019 DCT, sitting at traffic light, light turns green, give it throttle and nothing, won't move. Display shows XXXX flashing instead of TOUR. Turn off ignition and restart and back to normal. Now shifts rough (noisy), until I do DCT initialization procedure. Has intermittently done this when stopped at long traffic light. Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
No warning lights? That's a weird one. First thing that occurs to me is low oil pressure. Have you checked the oil level?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No warning lights? That's a weird one. First thing that occurs to me is low oil pressure. Have you checked the oil level?
Yes and right where it should be. Only happens when at a long light. Dealer where purchased is a 3 hour roundtrip, so not anxious to bring it back. Also, seemed clueless when I called about problem.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Yes and right where it should be. Only happens when at a long light. Dealer where purchased is a 3 hour roundtrip, so not anxious to bring it back. Also, seemed clueless when I called about problem.
This one is for the gurus. (Dealer cluelessness about the DCT is widespread.)

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Has not occurred yet with me.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Several others including myself had this issue a time or two when the bikes had less than 1500 miles. In my case, it happened perhaps twice but not once since. I think most that it happened to described similar situation at traffic light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And did problem resolve itself? My bike is also new and only 350 miles on it. Was hoping would resolve itself. Wishful thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
And did problem resolve itself? My bike is also new and only 350 miles on it. Was hoping would resolve itself. Wishful thinking.
Mine stalled at the first traffic light I came to after leaving the dealer. There was no XXXX, and it happened just once.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same happened to me the day I took delivery. It was the Auto Idle Stop function. Pressing the starter cancels the function so it doesn't happen again unless you re-enable it.

The bike would have restarted automatically if we'd just twisted the throttle.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Same happened to me the day I took delivery. It was the Auto Idle Stop function. Pressing the starter cancels the function so it doesn't happen again unless you re-enable it.

The bike would have restarted automatically if we'd just twisted the throttle.

Didn't even know the new Wings had this function. JUST TURN IT OFF..........................FOREVER. What a truly stupid feature !! On a car or bike. You'll save a thimbleful of gas. Ridiculous. And you'll put a TON of unnecessary wear and tear on other parts WAAAY prematurely. Ultimately costing you WAAAY more in repairs over the life of the bike. And good luck getting someone ( even a HONDA dealer ) to fix it correctly. What a stupid feature !!!!

TURN IT OFF !! And pretend you don't even know it exists. I didn't until I read this post.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The OP is in the USA, not Australia, Canada, or Europe.
The US bikes do NOT come with auto idle start-stop software.
So that's not the answer to his problem.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Didn't even know the new Wings had this function. JUST TURN IT OFF..........................FOREVER. What a truly stupid feature !! On a car or bike. You'll save a thimbleful of gas. Ridiculous. And you'll put a TON of unnecessary wear and tear on other parts WAAAY prematurely. Ultimately costing you WAAAY more in repairs over the life of the bike. And good luck getting someone ( even a HONDA dealer ) to fix it correctly. What a stupid feature !!!!

TURN IT OFF !! And pretend you don't even know it exists. I didn't until I read this post.
You neednt't be so outraged and angry.

Your Wing and all U.S.-spec Wings DO NOT HAVE IDLE-STOP-START. Wings sold everywhere else in the world are equipped with Idle-Stop-Start.

And the bikes are equipped so you have to go into a menu to enable it. All the new Wing owners I KNOW including myself, choose to leave it DISABLED.

All us new Wing owners outside the U.S. are ok with it on the bike. We simply don't use it.

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 2019 DCT, sitting at traffic light, light turns green, give it throttle and nothing, won't move. Display shows XXXX flashing instead of TOUR. Turn off ignition and restart and back to normal. Now shifts rough (noisy), until I do DCT initialization procedure. Has intermittently done this when stopped at long traffic light. Anyone else experience this?
[/QUOTE Best advice, call JESSE at Schroders Honda, Hendersonville, NC. Pretty Sharp

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
You neednt't be so outraged and angry.

Your Wing and all U.S.-spec Wings DO NOT HAVE IDLE-STOP-START. Wings sold everywhere else in the world are equipped with Idle-Stop-Start.

And the bikes are equipped so you have to go into a menu to enable it. All the new Wing owners I KNOW including myself, choose to leave it DISABLED.

All us new Wing owners outside the U.S. are ok with it on the bike. We simply don't use it.

Tim
The US bikes have the same ISG as all the other Gen 6 Goldwings, and it's that ISG that supplies the Idle-Stop function. I'm curiious if other hardware and wiring are necessary for stop-start or whether it's all controlled in the firmware.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some folks don't really pay attention to who's posting, do they?

Idle-star-stop (and that it's standard equipment everywhere in the world EXCEPT THE U.S.) has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

Tim
That's a little harsh. It's not possible to determine from someone's location what exact model bike they're riding. There's a chap on this forum with a US spec model he imported to England and a Frenchman riding in the Philippines. No doubt other such examples. So there's plenty of exceptions to the rule.

And Gary, I imagine it's just a firmware thing but you'd have to look at the right side to the meter panel - in the tacho there are two lights associated with the Idle Stop function. So the panel may be different too.

Even though few people appear to use this feature, it actually works quite well. I occasionally use it at traffic lights that I know take forever to change green. It can be enabled and disabled on the fly by pressing the start button (not just from the menu).

·
Registered
556 Posts
My 2018 DCT Tour has never exhibited this type of behavior. If the CIP did not help the situation and your oil pressure/level are fine, I would think that 3-hour roundtrip might be worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
And Gary, I imagine it's just a firmware thing but you'd have to look at the right side to the meter panel - in the tacho there are two lights associated with the Idle Stop function. So the panel may be different too.
It isn't just a firmware issue. Non US bikes have a switch in the seat that operates when you sit on the bike and they also are missing the wire that runs from that switch to the bikes wiring harness. I didn't realize my bike had the feature until the day I picked it up and it 'stalled' at the first red light I came to. I bought a Corbin seat which negates the feature and I really don't miss it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
That's a little harsh. It's not possible to determine from someone's location what exact model bike they're riding. There's a chap on this forum with a US spec model he imported to England and a Frenchman riding in the Philippines. No doubt other such examples. So there's plenty of exceptions to the rule.

Even though few people appear to use this feature, it actually works quite well. I occasionally use it at traffic lights that I know take forever to change green. It can be enabled and disabled on the fly by pressing the start button (not just from the menu).
You're corrrect, I was harsh. But I'd opine in the big picture, the number of U.S.-spec (non-idle-stop-start) '18+ Wings exported out of the U.S. are few and far between.

I guess I was partially reacting to a poster a few days ago discussing fuel mileage and the poster finally clued in that some of us talk about Imperial mpg, which would be indicated by the Australia/Canada/New Zealand or other Commonwealth nation flag assigned to the poster's location.

Also, some months ago in this forum, there was a protracted 'debate' with many U.S. based members angrily going on and on about the cons of idle-stop-start, even though U.S. bikes aren't fitted with the system. Since the poster I reacted to seems to be involved in most threads I read, I mistakenly assumed he'd be aware U.S. bikes don't have that system.

I will try to be moe polite.

Tim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts