GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I just ignored the OP guy. He's trolling and he makes only the 2nd person out of thousands on here to make my ignore list. Didn't take him long. 9 posts.

No bike is perfect not even this one. But it's darn close for me and I love the DCT!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Come on guys, this is just obvious trolling. If the OP isn't Fluke in disguise, he has at the very least just been added to Fluke's Christmas card list! :D

Let's not give in to the temptation to have another thread about how GW DCTs are horrifically unreliable despite there being no actual evidence of, well, any unreliability whatsoever!
Maybe FF=fake fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Come on guys, this is just obvious trolling. If the OP isn't Fluke in disguise, he has at the very least just been added to Fluke's Christmas card list! :D

Let's not give in to the temptation to have another thread about how GW DCTs are horrifically unreliable despite there being no actual evidence of, well, any unreliability whatsoever!
Some fall for it every time. Kind of amusing actually. 😆

·
Registered
18,696 Posts
Two & 1/2 years later no DCT issues. I have had the crappy right tie rod replaced under WARRANTY

·
Registered
7,963 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've only had/have one problem with my '18 DCT Tour... the heated grips quit heating (seat still does fine). I haven't bothered to take the bike in for a warranty fix as I ride it too much to leave it with a dealer (most quote several weeks backlog fixing other bikes). As regards the DCT itself, I've performed the CIP once and the tranny works fine. Over 20k miles with smiles. Every other concern/issue has been a consequence of my actions (resetting the system(s) to fix my ACP/BT which now works great; stripping an oil drain bolt head; not putting the kickstand down properly (I'm still embarrassed over that one)). Well, I have broken a couple of those panel tabs even following Fred's videos, but they were the really weak ones.

Maybe I'll drop the bike off to get the grip heaters fixed before it turns cold again. But then again, I might just buy some heated gloves as that only takes a stop at a MC shop or order through one of the online retailers.

I guess there's one more problem I'd mention and that's the scrapping pegs... I mean I run though some twisties and scrape my pegs all the time. I know this is a Goldwing, but come on, man, you can ride it like a sportbike almost. So, there's that...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fact of the matter is “The squeaky wheel gets the grease” No one generally speaking comes here just tell us how great the DCT is. Only when issues arise do you hear from them. It magnifies the issue beyond reality. Just my 2 cents. By the way, I ride an 18 with the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Own 2019 DCT with 5K no issues with the transmission so far. Just finished a 1700 mile trip and it ran like a Singer Sewing Machine. My only frustration is finding the sweet spot when practicing riding exercises that generally require use of the clutch friction zone to make the tight turns. The ride by wire throttle is one touchy SOB. I am a work in progress.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Own 2019 DCT with 5K no issues with the transmission so far. Just finished a 1700 mile trip and it ran like a Singer Sewing Machine. My only frustration is finding the sweet spot when practicing riding exercises that generally require use of the clutch friction zone to make the tight turns. The ride by wire throttle is one touchy SOB. I am a work in progress.
You get used to it more and more as time goes by. But the cheat code is to put it into rain mode briefly when you're going to be doing some low speed manoeuvring. Sometimes if I need to do a tight U-turn I'll do that, softens the throttle response right up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The DCT requires application of "Rear Trailing Brake" to create the "Friction Zone" during low speed maneuvers. Application of Rear Trailing Brake will cause the clutch to slip (Friction Zone) if you inadvertently apply too much throttle.

In tight slow turns I apply a bit more throttle than required (fixed throttle setting) and feather the rear brake (as I would a clutch lever) to control my speed through the turn. Practice in an open parking lot will quickly get you comfortable with this DCT specific technique.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was a skeptic regarding DCT but bought anyways. I have owned now for 25 months and 31500 miles later I am pleased to report that it just keeps getting better. Just as with a manual trans, you adapt and improve the experience as time passes. I love the DCT and recommend that anyone considering a bike to test ride and make their own decision.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts