GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a new DCT non tour in a couple days. Should the initialization procedure be done as soon as it's warmed up?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There is no OEM guidance on the initialization. In other words, any opinion is as valid as another.

I noticed zero difference after doing the init. I've done it twice in over 16K miles.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Yes. According to Fred's video, it won't initialize unless it's up to normal operating temperature.

·
Love The DCT
11,511 Posts
There is no OEM guidance on the initialization. In other words, any opinion is as valid as another.

I noticed zero difference after doing the init. I've done it twice in over 16K miles.
Actually there is OEM guidance on the clutch initialization learning procedure. It’s found on page 11-64 in the service manual.

The procedure is required if you replace the TCM and or the clutch packs.
No DTC’s present for the PGM-FI cruise control system and the DCT system.
Engine idle speed is normal.
Transmission in neutral and cooling fans aren’t running.
Do not operate the throttle during the procedure.
Oil temperature between 104 to 212 deg F.

Except for the above, there is no periodic requirement to perform the procedure.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Actually there is OEM guidance on the clutch initialization learning procedure. It’s found on page 11-64 in the service manual.

The procedure is required if you replace the TCM and or the clutch packs.
No DTC’s present for the PGM-FI cruise control system and the DCT system.
Engine idle speed is normal.
Transmission in neutral and cooling fans aren’t running.
Do not operate the throttle during the procedure.
Oil temperature between 104 to 212 deg F.

Except for the above, there is no periodic requirement to perform the procedure.
Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood but I took the question to be whether there is a need to do an initialization on a newly purchased bike. The answer is no, unless you feel that shifts are rough or there is some problem. The purpose of the procedure is to recalibrate as parts wear over time. A new bike shouldn't need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts