GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
This thread is devoted to those who have the DCT transmission on their new bike. The purpose of this thread is to provide a "one stop shopping" place for tips, tricks, techniques, observations and opinions where folks can share ideas about the DCT an where a "DCT rider" might gather some useful information. It is not for the purpose of comparing the DCT to the Manual Transmission. Please keep your input specific to the DCT and make your input helpful to others. Example.... Here are some tips and techniques I have either experienced personally with my new bike, or have read from other posters:

1.TIP: Paddle shifting in manual mode may be your preferred way of riding. For ultimate control of when the DCT upshifts or downshifts, some riders have determined that they will ride almost exclusively in the "manual mode" using the paddle shifters. (OP Note: While this tip may still be valid, the originator has since discovered a DCT problem and has returned the bike to the dealer. This appears to be a "one off" problem, but this tip MAY no longer be valid. It stays because some folks MAY prefer to stay in manual mode all the time).

2. TIP: Paddle shifting can definitely be helpful in stop and go traffic. By using manual mode in stop and go traffic, the rider can prevent the bike from upshifting too soon (with the subsequent undesired downshift that comes soon thereafter).

3. OBSERVATION: Downshifting on the DCT can be a little abrupt or "clunky." Some riders get used to this, for others it is more annoying. Consider manual mode if this is a real bother to you.

4. TIP: When in automatic mode, to smooth the downshifts, consider "blipping" the throttle to match engine speed.

5. OBSERVATION: The rpm at which upshifts take place varies with the RATE of throttle movement. If you "get on" the throttle, the DCT will actually shift a little later. If you are more smooth and tame with your throttle inputs and roll on gently, the DCT will shift at a lower rpm and too soon for some riders liking.

6. TIP: Be careful with Sport mode at slow speeds. The throttle response is very sensitive and you might surprise yourself with unhappy results.

7. FACT: Ride modes (i.e. Rain, Tour, Sport, Econ) can be changed "on the fly" with the right index finger trigger. The throttle must be closed to "set" the new mode. If the mode is flashing (under the gear selector display on the right side) that is an indication that the throttle was not closed and the mode is not yet "set."

8. FACT: The bike can switch between automatic mode and manual mode at speed. The rider can switch back and forth by pressing the A/M switch on the right handlebar at any speed.

9. TECHNIQUE: Slow speed maneuvering is made easier by using a little trailing (rear) brake pressure. Turn that head, modulate the throttle, and bring in a little rear brake for smooth course reversals.

10. Tip: you can shift modes under power while on cruise control.

11. TECHNIQUE: Use Auto mode for upshifting, and paddles for downshifting. This provides rider control on when the DCT downshifts and (may) result in smoother shifting.

12. TECHNIQUE: Slow Riding - consider more precise throttle modulation as opposed to MT. With DCT it helps if I pay closer attention and go light on the throttle at slow speeds and strive for more precise control of the throttle than if I was riding a manual transmission bike. (Rider47). MattC says "almost like making that throttle modulation your 'friction zone'??

13. TECHNIQUE: Consider using rain or econ mode when slow speed maneuvering as the throttle response is less responsive and may provide for smoother throttle modulation.

14. OBSERVATION: installing grip puppies over the grips make their diameter larger which makes modulation of the throttle for slow speed maneuvering much easier

15. TIP: Tip: To disengage cruise control without "pushing cruise control button to off " "touching front or rear brake" "hitting one of the paddle shifters". You can close the throttle with a little force and cruise control will disengage. OP Note: use the "upshift" paddle to disengage cruise control when in 7th gear does nothing but disengage the cruise control. If you use the "downshift paddle" to disengage CC, the bike WILL downshift!

16. TIP: Get familiar with, and use, the Hill Stop Assist feature of this new bike. It will save wear and tear on the DCT unit. If not using HSA, then DO use brakes to hold bike on an incline, NOT the throttle. Using throttle with a DCT bike to hold bike on an incline is causing the DCT to slip which produces heat and wear. So...USE YOUR BRAKES TO HOLD BIKE ON AN INCLINE!

A great video you NEED to watch if you got the DCT bike. This is a guy in a car but all of his comments apply to our new DCT bikes. A must see!

Another "must watch" video from Fred
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_151989906301813&key=0070d0d5a123db19ebc84be9c1773544&libId=je8cnlpr0100on82000MAblo2yo0z&loc=http://gl1800riders.com/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=1498841&v=1&out=http://en.honda-dct.com/film/&ref=http://gl1800riders.com/forums/private.php&title=GL1800Riders - Re: Editing DCT sticky&txt=http://en.honda-dct.com/film/

And another (?)
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_151992714534714&key=0070d0d5a123db19ebc84be9c1773544&libId=je8tdbpc0100on82000MAblo2yo0z&loc=http://gl1800riders.com/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=1499689&v=1&out=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPqpFBnkGM&ref=http://gl1800riders.com/forums/private.php&title=GL1800Riders - Re: Editing DCT sticky&txt=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPqpFBnkGM

The thread is begun and will likely be made into a "sticky." So, what other Tips, Tricks, Techniques, Observations, or Facts can you share from your experience with the new DCT?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TECHNIQUE: Use Auto mode for upshifting, and paddles for downshifting. This provides rider control on when the DCT downshifts and (may) result in smoother shifting.

·
Administrator
968 Posts
Matt,
Good start, thanks for taking this on.

As usual, some people will not read your OP and they will junk up the effort with random unrelated comments.
I'll try to moderate those posts and keep the thread on it's initial mission.
I've got your six

·
Registered
207 Posts
Matt,
Good idea. I have read your articles and posts and appreciate the information. You have touched on slow speed maneuvering, but I have a question that has been bothering me since I started reading everything I could find on the 2018 Honda DCT since October 24, 2017.
how does the DCT do in something like the off-set cone weave and 90 degree turn in a MSF training class.
Withe a normal manual shifting bike, I used the friction zone extensively to maneuver through the cones and make the turn. Does the DCT let the rider control speed with the rear brake pedal and let the gears slip as in a friction zone or does it stay fully engaged. My thinking is that it might work best if set in manual mode and Econ or rain mode for this. I am hoping some MSF instructors (coaches) are on this site and can address this as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
Tip: you can shift modes under power while on cruise control.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure!

Matt,
Good idea. I have read your articles and posts and appreciate the information. You have touched on slow speed maneuvering, but I have a question that has been bothering me since I started reading everything I could find on the 2018 Honda DCT since October 24, 2017.
how does the DCT do in something like the off-set cone weave and 90 degree turn in a MSF training class.
Withe a normal manual shifting bike, I used the friction zone extensively to maneuver through the cones and make the turn. Does the DCT let the rider control speed with the rear brake pedal and let the gears slip as in a friction zone or does it stay fully engaged. My thinking is that it might work best if set in manual mode and Econ or rain mode for this. I am hoping some MSF instructors (coaches) are on this site and can address this as well.
Thanks
A great question, but the answer is one I will have to figure out. I've yet to really get out to a parking lot and practice slow speed. I have zero doubt that DCT with trail braking will make figure 8's and slow speed 90 degree turns, and cone weaves, etc. Whether the clutch slips at all while doing this, I really don't know. I have a feeling it doesn't, that it's sort of "binary" (ie. fully disengaged, or fully engaged) but I could definitely be wrong on this. Would using rain or econ mode and/or using manual mode make this easier? I suspect the answer is yes to both of these thoughts. That econ or rain mode provides a 'softer' throttle response (not too grabby if you know what I mean), and using Manual mode ensures the bike won't shift into second when you want to keep it in first, sounds pretty darn plausible to me.

Can any one else weigh in on the question?

·
Administrator
968 Posts
Guys, you are not reading this correctly.

Read the OP..
..now go and really read it.

There are other places on this board to ask questions.

This thread is to suggest answers to problems or techniques you make have discovered and wish to share. If Matt thinks your contribution has not already been "discovered" and posted he will add it to the top favorites in the OP.
The OP is the Original Post in this thread.

Please remove your questions and post them elsewhere so that I do not have to delete them.

Thanks for your cooperation with this.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Guys, you are not reading this correctly.

Read the OP..
..now go and really read it.

There are other places on this board to ask questions.

This thread is to suggest answers to problems or techniques you make have discovered and wish to share. If Matt thinks your contribution has not already been "discovered" and posted he will add it to the top favorites in the OP.
The OP is the Original Post in this thread.

Please remove your questions and post them elsewhere so that I do not have to delete them.

Thanks for your cooperation with this.
Sorry about that Dennis - cleaned it up.. Thanks for the heads up!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darts I put your Tip in the OP. Thanks for the contribution!

Tip: you can shift modes under power while on cruise control.
Put your tip up into the OP. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Still trying to be smoother at slow speed. Stopping is getting much smoother but slow speed cornering still needs improvement. One thing that seems to help is rethinking throttle application at slow speeds. With manual transmissions I could always work the clutch if I was too heavy on the throttle. With DCT it helps if I pay closer attention and go light on the throttle at slow speeds and strive for more precise control of the throttle than if I was riding a manual transmission bike. At anything other than slow speeds, I can use the throttle just like I would with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rider, I have added your technique to the OP. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
added, thanks!

One or more of the early adopters advocated using ECON or RAIN modes to make the throttle less sensitive for slow-speed work.
I added your input to the OP, thank you!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
installing grip puppies over the grips make their diameter larger which makes modulation of the throttle for slow speed maneuvering much easier

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
already posted that one, thanks!

One or more of the early adopters advocated using ECON or RAIN modes to make the throttle less sensitive for slow-speed work.
Thanks for the input! That one is already up on the OP! Please keep the good thoughts coming!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put this up on the OP, thanks!

Put this up on the OP, thanks!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Tip: To disengage cruise control without "pushing cruise control button to off " "touching front or rear brake" "hitting one of the paddle shifters". You can close the throttle with a little force and cruise control will disengage.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks Darts, I added to OP

Tip: To disengage cruise control without "pushing cruise control button to off " "touching front or rear brake" "hitting one of the paddle shifters". You can close the throttle with a little force and cruise control will disengage.
thanks Darts, I added to OP

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Midnight, a good tip but...

To take the harshness out of the ride if you have ripple roads like we do, I lowered the tire pressure two pounds in each, 34 front and 39 rear. Smooths out the roads and the warm tire pressures come up to 38 and 43.
Good tip Midnight, but that is a "DCT agnostic" tip and should be posted elsewhere. This Thread we are trying to strictly keep to "DCT only" Tips, tricks, observations, facts, etc. It is hopefully, a one-stop place for someone to learn about DCT which is why it's a sticky. We aren't even posting QUESTIONS about DCT here. Just stuff people who have experienced already.

Thanks for posting though, just not the thread for it.

Cheers,

Matt

1 - 20 of 95 Posts