GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have discovered:

You can have the lights on high beam or you can have your fog lights on, but you don't get to do both at the same time. At least not with the factory accessory fog lights installed.

Flicking the light switch to hi beam will dis engage the cruise control.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I have discovered:

You can have the lights on high beam or you can have your fog lights on, but you don't get to do both at the same time. At least not with the factory accessory fog lights installed.

Are you sure you're not also hitting the shift + lever when flicking the lights?

The shift+ will definitely disengage the cruise.

Previous gen was also 'factory' wired for fogs off if high beams turned on.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I have discovered:

Are you sure you're not also hitting the shift + lever when flicking the lights?

The shift+ lever will definitely disengage the cruise.

Previous gen was also 'factory' wired for fogs off if high beams turned on.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
How to ride a Gold Wing DCT----
Tour automatic mode--- GAS IT-
-Use the downshift in the corners to control speed but gas it hard through them

When accelerating leave the throttle on a set level & watch the smoothness

·
Registered
39 Posts
DCT - baffling

Picked up a pearl white DCT 1st of May. Now have just over 2000 mi. Just returned home from Tampa area to east Tn. on "shortest" route per GPS; combination city, country and interstate. During some of the city driving while using the tour mode, speed limits were just below shift to 7 in D. I would change to M and upshift, then when having to slow down, the computer would downshift when needed; then I would paddle shift back up as early as possible. When I would leave these areas and would place back to A. Changing the riding mode was so simple, but mother Honda didn't tell all she knew. I would preselect which I wanted, it just keeps blinking until I roll off the throttle and done. Another thing that I have found interesting is the way that the computer controls the walking speed forward/reverse in it's application of throttle (will not function by hand during this) and the clutch engagement. I have a slight inclined driveway and when backing it slows for a moment, then raises the throttle and applies more clutch action to keep moving. When I first brought the unit home, I trailered it using a Condor Chock, when removing the unit the computer actually spun the rear tire coming out of it. This is an amazing tech. Went US421 (AKA Snake) out of Bristol Monday and played with the Sport mode - shifts seemed to be exact as needed both up/down and then Tour (auto style) with paddle shift override; both were a treat.

Thanks for the good info and site.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Great that you are enjoying the new GW1833 I know I love mine! Nice points you observed and shared with us too. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have now put approximately 3300 miles on my Blue Tour DCT. During my two months of ownership I've experimented with most of the variations between full-auto to full-manual in "tour" and "sport" riding modes (have yet to try "eco" or "rain" modes... hasn't rained in AZ since I've had the bike).

I've come to the conclusion that in full-auto "tour", the selected shift points come too soon for my normal style of riding... the transmission wants to find a higher gear before, at, or near 2000 rims. And in full-auto "sport" mode, you can add approximately 1000 rpm to each shift point.

What works best for me... leave it in "tour" mode but select full-manual... allows me to select my personal "sweet-spot" for each shift... usually between 2500 and 3000 rpms.

And when slowing down, my preference is to manually down-shift in each gear till I get to 2nd... at which point I'm close to being stopped and I allow the transmission to make the final down-shift to 1st gear.

While I will likely leave it in full-auto when traveling or in congested stop-and-go situations, a combination of mostly-manual hits my "sweet-spot".

FYI. Took a nice 450+ mile loop yesterday in southeastern Arizona... some great roads on our way to breakfast in Bisbee... back home through Wilcox, Safford, Globe, and Superior. Two gas stops along the way... determined that my low-gas light comes on when the "fuel range" indicator shows approximately 45 miles left in the tank. On my second fill-up took 4.8 gallons of fuel (still had .7 gallons remaining), and had travelled 245 miles.

Averaged 49.7 mpg for the loop (one-up riding with speeds mostly between 58 and 68 with a short stint of freeway riding at 78 mph for 30-40 miles.

I truly love the versatility the DCT provides... truly unique... nothing else like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my long driveway is gravel.rain or economy the suspension is good.not quick enough power imo.would b the same on slow sharp turn to me.i put on single rider suspension setting and tour mode.with slow speed on pavement it feels sketchy to me.when u need to pick it up with throttle in turn

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
How to ride a Gold Wing DCT----
Tour automatic mode--- GAS IT-
-Use the downshift in the corners to control speed but gas it hard through them
When accelerating leave the throttle on a set level & watch the smoothness
If you are in the twisties . . . Manual mode ONLY and paddle shift to redline! THAT is how you ride the DCT!! :grin2:

·
Registered
244 Posts
After finally putting around my first thousand miles on this bike I'm beginning to think I made a mistake. While I love having another DCT, this was has some weird downshifts right when I'm trying to come to a stop that is quite annoying compared to my CTX. Quite a bit smoother on the up-shifts tho.

For me the biggest complaint is the handling. I guess I expected this bike to handle at least as good the 2014 Valkyrie that I just got rid of but to me, there is no comparison. The Valk handled fantastic under any condition including a riding a passenger but the new Goldwing is just OK by myself but with wife aboard I feel like I'm going to dump it on every tight turn. Very clumsy and I feel like one of the worst handling big bikes I've ever owned and I've had a lot of them.

I guess I'll eat my words about not taking that test ride before buying but have a feeling this bike will be for sale soon. Live and learn.

·
Registered
997 Posts
After finally putting around my first thousand miles on this bike I'm beginning to think I made a mistake. While I love having another DCT, this was has some weird downshifts right when I'm trying to come to a stop that is quite annoying compared to my CTX.
You will notice the downshifts and resulting engine braking if you are "putting around" and coasting to a stop. I ride such that i use the brakes sufficiently to make the down shifts nearly disappear.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sorry to hear you are not enjoying the new 2018!
I rode my DCT Tour in hundreds of twisties for 5 days. We averaged 700 km actual riding every day & for a stock bike, I found it very, very good! As good as my ‘Full Monty’ Progressive Suspension ‘02 GL1800 bike, no! But I ripped into every corner with speed & confidence & I was smiling all day long! JMHO

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm actually getting used to the bike more and am enjoying it riding solo but still have a problem when the wife gets aboard. It seems to change the front end completely and the way it handles.

Not going back to HD so somehow have to get used to it and probably a good thing she doesn't ride all that much anymore.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm actually getting used to the bike more and am enjoying it riding solo but still have a problem when the wife gets aboard. It seems to change the front end completely and the way it handles.

Not going back to HD so somehow have to get used to it and probably a good thing she doesn't ride all that much anymore.
2 things going on here, 1. CG is now higher and 2. The suspension is now fully resting on the front bump stop causing a higher spring rate in the front and probably bottoming out in the rear over rougher terrain unless you’ve maxed out the preload.

Once I upgraded the suspension riding 1 or 2 up feels virtually the same aside from the slight rise in CG.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts

Are you changing the suspension setting when riding 2 up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had no idea you could use the throttle to give more power to the walking speed reverse. Does this work in with the forward too? I can use a little boost getting on and off my garage dolly. Thanks for the info!
Hey, just brought my new GW home. Turning it around in my garage is a bear. What garage dolly do you use?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Are you changing the suspension setting when riding 2 up?
I have the non-tour model and haven't quite figured out where the adjustments are located. I did read on here that they were on the right side and hard to get to so haven't messed with it yet. Actually haven't even rode the bike much at all here lately since I have 2 smaller "easy" bikes to ride.

·
Love The DCT
11,378 Posts
I have the non-tour model and haven't quite figured out where the adjustments are located. I did read on here that they were on the right side and hard to get to so haven't messed with it yet. Actually haven't even rode the bike much at all here lately since I have 2 smaller "easy" bikes to ride.
See page 169 in the owner’s manual. Open right saddle bag. Remove the side cover for access to the manual adjuster knob. 9 clicks is “standard” setting.

:doorag:

41 - 60 of 95 Posts