GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, Honda left us a way to coast on a DCT bike. Get up to 40 or 50 mph and turn off the key or flip the kill switch off. If the GW is like the Honda NC700s as it begins to coast and speed begins to drop it will downshift to maybe 4th before losing oil pressure and the clutch disengages. You then coast along until rolling to a stop. However the DCT is none to happy to roll to a stop while in 3rd or 4th. Turn the key or ignition switch back on......It makes clicking and clacking noises as it tries to downshift to N, probably unsuccessfully, just like a rider on a manual bike that stops in a high gear. You might have to rock the bike back and forth a little to help it find N. It's a lot of trouble but you can coast for a little while. If it was down a hill it would coast a long time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, Honda left us a way to coast on a DCT bike. Get up to 40 or 50 mph and turn off the key or flip the kill switch off. If the GW is like the Honda NC700s as it begins to coast and speed begins to drop it will downshift to maybe 4th before losing oil pressure and the clutch disengages. You then coast along until rolling to a stop. However the DCT is none to happy to roll to a stop while in 3rd or 4th. Turn the key or ignition switch back on......It makes clicking and clacking noises as it tries to downshift to N, probably unsuccessfully, just like a rider on a manual bike that stops in a high gear. You might have to rock the bike back and forth a little to help it find N. It's a lot of trouble but you can coast for a little while. If it was down a hill it would coast a long time.
Why?

·
Registered
145 Posts
What I’ve learned about coasting with the DCT is, don’t close the throttle all the way. Keep it cracked a little and the bike will coast....

Give it a try.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did a three day twisty ride here in central Arkansas earlier this week. Wow!

I consciously avoided sport mode afraid I would wreck the new bike. 4k + miles in tour mode.

Old timers on the ride asked me to consider using sport mode as I was slow to accelerate out of a twisty.

With much consternation I relented...

While the throttle is quite sensitive and easily powers you out of the turn, what I was most impressed by is the awesome sound it makes at 4K rpm in 4th gear...DAYUM!

By the end of the third day I was leaning and accelerating those hwy 125 curves in northern Arkansas. What a rush.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My main problem with the bike was down shifting right before stopping the bike would shift hard into 1st gear which had me reaching for the ground finally did a clutch initialization and it smoothed all the down shifting out. It's like night and day difference. No hard jerking during down shifting. Tried the process 3 times with no success before reading on this site about setting the emergency brake so the rear wheel won't turn and disconnecting the negative battery terminal to reset some electronics for 10 minutes. Don't know how a new bikes shifting was so bad but all that is now gone.

·
Registered
16,481 Posts
To coast, go to the top of the mountain, stop, put it in N and let go of the brake. But, why?

prs

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was trying to figure a way to come to a stop without the bike jerking right before stopping. My bikes down shifting was excessivle hard. Problem fixed read my post above yours

·
Registered
51 Posts
I find resting my index finger on the front brake lever not only has me ready for quick braking but acts as a throttle damper for the DCT. This is especially true in Sport mode on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ride it similar to riding a scooter. Have the throttle set above an idle (have some revs), then hold some rear brake pressure and regulate how fast or slow the bike goes with brake pressure veruss varying the throttle. I am an MSF Instructor and owned a NC700 DCT and could actually do tight turns easier on the DCT bike than a bike with a clutch lever. So to reiterate, keep steady throttle and hold back the bike's progress with rear brake (dragging rear brake). It is very smooth when done right and there is no chance of stalling a DCT bike. How this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dct

Has anybody had a problem with the dct not shifting up or down with the cache encore trike kit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Matt,
Good idea. I have read your articles and posts and appreciate the information. You have touched on slow speed maneuvering, but I have a question that has been bothering me since I started reading everything I could find on the 2018 Honda DCT since October 24, 2017.
how does the DCT do in something like the off-set cone weave and 90 degree turn in a MSF training class.
Withe a normal manual shifting bike, I used the friction zone extensively to maneuver through the cones and make the turn. Does the DCT let the rider control speed with the rear brake pedal and let the gears slip as in a friction zone or does it stay fully engaged. My thinking is that it might work best if set in manual mode and Econ or rain mode for this. I am hoping some MSF instructors (coaches) are on this site and can address this as well.
Thanks
See this link and on youtube search on slow driving tips on DCT honda.
I've been practicing and rain mode and manual in first and 40 lbs air front and back helps. 3 to 4 hours of training finding the sweet spot on the throttle is the trick since it is fly by wire and extremely sensitive, and the use of the rear brake as your friction zone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took the advanced rider course on my DCT. There were some tense moments, but I started to figure out how much I could lean at low speed, and the best throttle/brake combination.
I had trouble with the figure eight, but it was certainly doable. I just kept cutting the first loop off too soon. Rider error.
I had practiced some, but not enough.
I used mostly rain mode. The instructor very reasonably asked how I usually rode, and that is Tour. However, I will say that in parking lots and on gravel, I do use rain mode.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts