GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm missing something, but I have an observation about the "walk" mode (forward/reverse) on the DCT model. I just bought a new 2019 DCT last month in all black - the fastest color as everyone knows.

Anyway, when I start the bike up, the walk mode won't come on. There is a strange graphic symbol neat the bottom of the display that looks like a lever going down. If I go into drive and get the bike moving ten feet or so, the ABS light goes off showing the ABS is calibrated and THEN the walk mode works.

Now, my issue is that if I park in a dicey spot and turn off the ignition, I could be caught because I can't use walk mode and have to do things the old fashioned way. So, to me, it seems walk mode can get you to a safe situation for parking or turning if you already been running, but can't help you if you didn't plan your park well and turn the ignition off.

Am I correct in this? If not, how can I get walk mode to work right after starting the ignition?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would go give it another try. On my 2018, walk mode works whenever the bike is started. It’s primary function is to assist you backing out a parking space that is no a bit of a forward incline.
Check to make sure the kick stand is all the way up, that downward pointing lever indicator may have been the kick stand indicator

·
Registered
410 Posts
The graphic you describe sounds like the kick stand. I know you say it will go into D so that doesn't make sense. Are you sure you are getting the stand up all the way? Maybe a sticking stand switch.

Black fastest color huh? My white one does 27mph in walking mode.:p

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Doesn't the lever indicate you have to hold the brake lever to engage Walk mode? I don't have a new Wing but about 900 miles on a demo 2018. I seem to remember of what you speak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you are right about engaging the brake before trying the walk mode switch! I will try it as soon as I can. And come to think of it, the graphic symbol "does" look like a brake lever !

Thanks !

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
I believe you are right about engaging the brake before trying the walk mode switch! I will try it as soon as I can. And come to think of it, the graphic symbol "does" look like a brake lever !

Thanks !
The owner’s manual is your friend. Pages 115-116 tells you all about walking speed mode.

:doorag:

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
Doesn't the lever indicate you have to hold the brake lever to engage Walk mode? I don't have a new Wing but about 900 miles on a demo 2018. I seem to remember of what you speak.
Yes, the front or the rear brake has to be applied to engage walking speed mode. Bike must also be in neutral and the kick stand must be up.

:doorag:

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
The oddity I find with the walk speed is that although its engagement locks the throttle at slow idle, the bike's cold enrichment naturally raises that idle speed and on a cold start it is fast enough to ride the bike backward a bit with feet on pegs. Way cool.

prs

·
Registered
193 Posts
The oddity I find with the walk speed is that although its engagement locks the throttle at slow idle, the bike's cold enrichment naturally raises that idle speed and on a cold start it is fast enough to ride the bike backward a bit with feet on pegs. Way cool.

prs
I think the walk mode could use a little power myself, just sayin'
:thumbup:

PBR

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I think the walk mode could use a little power myself, just sayin'
:thumbup:

PBR
It's speed controlled, so if it comes against a obstacle (like climbing bump into garage or going into a wheel chock) it will increase throttle as necessary.

When the obsatcle is first encountered, it is likely to stop or slow motion -- keep the button pushed and it will recognize there is an obstacle and adjust to compensate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts