GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running a search on HID headlights, I see that alot of people speak highly of DDMs. They're much less expensive than the GoldWingHIDs; are the DDMs plug and play, or do they need any kind of retrofit to place in the stock headlight housings? Thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I use the DDM kits, like them. There are various posts about the installation of them, I've even put my .02 in. The only real thing about them you have to worry about is trimming the spacer ring. Use a dremel with a cutoff wheel is best, don't try to use diagonal pliers, you'll crack the plastic ring. Otherwise they're pretty much like all the others, plug and play. I think most of them probably all come from the same factory.

Do a search of ddmtuning, you'll get all the info you need.

I had one ballast out of four that gave some electrical interference, the company replaced under warranty, no issue.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
After running a search on HID headlights, I see that alot of people speak highly of DDMs. They're much less expensive than the GoldWingHIDs; are the DDMs plug and play, or do they need any kind of retrofit to place in the stock headlight housings? Thanks.

Ed
Yes allot of folks use them,From my understanding you do have to retrofit ,for the stock housing..I hear it is pretty simple,I have not used the so I can not give you any information on the durability.I myself went with goldwing hids,they were true plug & plat & needed to modifications,I did have an issue with a ballast going bad,& they replaced it no questions asked,you get a 2 year warrenty with them,hope that helps some.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have installed 6 sets from DDM Tuning. The install is very simple with minor modifications to the plastic spacers. I have issues with 5 of the 6 sets. They all illuminate with no problem, once you start the bike sometimes only 1 will relight. On one of the bikes the lights blink but only one will stay on. i have not been able to resolve the problem. They are awesome light and would like to get the problem resolved.

Yes allot of folks use them,From my understanding you do have to retrofit ,for the stock housing..I hear it is pretty simple,I have not used the so I can not give you any information on the durability.I myself went with goldwing hids,they were true plug & plat & needed to modifications,I did have an issue with a ballast going bad,& they replaced it no questions asked,you get a 2 year warrenty with them,hope that helps some.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have installed 6 sets from DDM Tuning. The install is very simple with minor modifications to the plastic spacers. I have issues with 5 of the 6 sets. They all illuminate with no problem, once you start the bike sometimes only 1 will relight. On one of the bikes the lights blink but only one will stay on. i have not been able to resolve the problem. They are awesome light and would like to get the problem resolved.
That is interesting,The goldwing hid have not had such a problem! I wonder what it is?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My DDM's have worked flawlessly since installed a few months ago... You getting a GOOD FULL connection going back into the OEM plugs?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The first set i got has DDM on the ballasts and i have no problem with them. The other 5 did not and came from Japan. 1 set does the wigwag when you turn the ignition on and then again after hitting the starter.
Yes they have good connections.

My DDM's have worked flawlessly since installed a few months ago... You getting a GOOD FULL connection going back into the OEM plugs?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
My suggestion would be to spend the money and get the GoldwingHIDs! I suppose ya get what ya pay for? Hehe!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have 2 sets of the 35W 5000K DDM HIDs in my 'Wing. The low beams and the foglights.

The "hotspot" of the lights is too close to the the bike. Will do the highs so all aim the same.

Roadside street signs really jump out at you. They reflect real nice off the HIDs.

Wish I had done the highs at the time.

The lows fire right up. But the fogs sometimes do "the wigwag" before coming full on. I think that is due to the very light gauge wiring in the foglight circuit. The wiring is for 2 35W bulbs, which the HIDs are, after they have been on for a few seconds. Apparently the wiring isn't really up to the fire-up starting current. So a direct line with fuse and relay is in order.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I put the DDM kit awhile ago and no problems so far with them 35w in the low beams 55w in the high beams they are super bright at night :yes1:

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I finally installed them on saturday, or rather my brother did while I fixed his computer.

They lit up in the garage, but other than the initial flash, there wasn't much to see.

So I picked up the girlfriend and headed out for supper. It was a two hour trip to the resturant, and an hour back. The hour back was after nightfall, and I just gotta say...

WOW

If you have not done the conversion, you just have no idea. I put in 35W bulbs in the high beam position, and that was just unreal. I have photophobia, and as a result, bright lights are painful, but this wasn't harsh, it was just an unreal amount of light.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Create a set of jumper cables to supply voltage direct from the battery to the HID ballast... using 16 gauge wire is fine for this test.. gator clips as well. If the HID lamps both ignite properly then the OEM wiring is not sufficient to provide the voltage necessary for the ignitors to operate. If that is the case then you will need to install a HID harness. The HID harness will pull battery voltage direct from the battery via relays to each ballast. You will use the OEM wiring to operate the relay coil only. If your jumpers show that the HID lamps do not fire when connected, then you need to have them ship you a new set. DDM's unit price is probably well under 10 bucks, so they can afford to have a high number of dud units.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I installed a set of DDM's, 35W/4500K in my high beams today. I was curious as to how hot the ballast would get. I wired the lights up with everything hanging off the side of the bike and turned them on and left them that way for about 3 minutes.

Using my infrared temperature gun, the hottest reading I got off the black side of the ballast was 82F. The silver side was a few degrees cooler. I was pretty pleased I expected it to be hotter.

I've decided to go ahead and order another set for my low beams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My suggestion would be to spend the money and get the GoldwingHIDs! I suppose ya get what ya pay for? Hehe!
I agree with Sharkwl, you get what you pay for. It's amazing how much we spent on the Wing and when it comes to accessories, I tried going cheap and what happened? I had a set of DDM that lasted for 2 months and 1 ballast died, they sent me a replacement and the replacement ballast caused some flickering issues.

I've had the goldwinghids on for over 6 months and no issues so far.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Looked at the GoldwingHIDS website, for $165 does that include High and Low Beam bulbs, i.e. 4 bulbs or just two bulbs?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts