GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as I wait for parts to be shipped by rickshaw from an undesclosed location in asia to rebuild my transmission, I find myself settling into winter mode.

We all know what that means...

MODS!

Ok, so I'm looking at a conversion to an HID setup. Research has convinced me that I am best off converting only the highbeams. The low beams were adaquate until I saw someone with the HID conversion, I don't care to do the projector conversion at this time even though it looks cool as hell, the iffy legal status of the conversion makes it better used where I REALLY need more light, like riding through the desert in the dark, and having the lowbeams to fall back on in case I screw something up seems liek a good idea..

So, No Soup for you, Ze goggles do nothing, and whatever, but it's High beams only for now.

Ok, so I have a few questions.

1. Do I need a wiring harness for this setup? Someone had issues and it was recommended that they install a relay and harness to correct it. I guess one light was not comming up or something. Apparently this activates a relay that draws directly off of the battery.

2. Another company was recommended for the source of the harness. If I need one is there anything wrong with the harnesses offered by DMM?

3. What is the lead time on this?

4. Because I am considering only the highbeams, I am considering the 55w. Is there a longer lead time for 55w vs. 35w?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
:agree: my .02 worth. I and my riding buddy put the 35W 4500K lights in our low beams, have Kisan modulators on the highs. Gives plenty of light, have the modulators on the high beam to help with being spotted, and for me works great at night.

Makes us very visible during the daytime, and the HIDs for low beam at night are really an improvement.

My buddy does the ironbutt rides. He installed PIAAs for the light up the world when no one is around. Works great for him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts